Lone Star Medallion II 1966, Oh Scrap!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you didn't find the plywood under the bow boxes, I might have thought the LS was built with a glass liner, similar to many glassers. I think a glass boat designer thought this one up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd bet a bunch of it was the death nail of cost cutting measures once Chrysler bought out Lone*Star.......

64osby

Admiral
I'm fairly sure the hull was used starting in 1963 with the Medallion, this hull had ribs. In '66 it was changed to the Medallion II, with Armor Hull (poured in foam). In 68 they stopped making the Medallion and introduced the Polara 185, a tin hull with the same specs as the Medallion II.

Maybe not cost cutting measures as much as trying to optimize the use of the equipment they had in the plant. They were building many more glass hulls as compared to tin ones during this time. They were using the "Foam Pac" (pour in) in glass boats in '63.

Chrysler had bought LS in '65 so they started "improving" and "optimizing". The Armor-Hull for tin hulls was probably the result of this process.

Back to more important things like foam removal.:grumpy:

64osby

Admiral
Put one of my tools to work with a new blade.

IMAG06161.jpg

Does a great job cutting up cubes. Then you can clean off the hull. It would be easier if it was smooth but still works great.

Was able to find the back side of the bow eye.

IMAG06151.jpg

Clean it up and found a nice rotten wood block as a backer
IMAG06171.jpg

The bow wood popped out pretty easy.

IMAG06181.jpg

More wood backers that were stapled into the sole.

Pretty sure they laid the floor put in the foam added the bow structure, foamed that and then glassed in the floor and bow piece. there was no glass on the edge of the sole under the bow structure.

Next up the rest of the hull foam.

64osby

Admiral
Anyone care to let me know what the factory used to bond the hull to the sole.

IMAG06191.jpg

IMAG06201.jpg

IMAG06131.jpg

IMAG06111.jpg

IMAG06121.jpg

It is black, thick and very hard. Some shredded mat and cloth. Nothing like the clear resin the PO had used.

Any input or guesses?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My guess is that the black stuff was applied as a semi liquid adhesive goop that bonded the sole to the hull after curing. Maybe over the years it hardened up to it's current state.:noidea:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like a mastic of some sort. Might have been intended to harden fairly quick after it was applied.

Some poly resin is a fairly dark green instead of amber or pinky yellow. Exactly like the green in this pix:
EDIT: It was a copy of 1 your pix you posted above. Couldn't get it to copy or attach......
esp when it's applied thick.. Maybe the black USED to be dk green...........

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
^^ nothing attached.

I think the green on this one is from the etching primer being pulled off the hull.

I don't think is was soft and pliable when it left the plant. Although it is 48 years old.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

All I know is this is the first time I started to itch while watching tinny demo - Ever!

64osby

Admiral
Itch is a :puke:_itch.

So far the glass itch has not effected me. No grinding, just peeling it off the hull. The black stuff is much harder to remove than whatever the PO used.

My left arm itched the other day after wire wheeling some foam from the rivets.:confused:

I need some glass historians to check in and see if they know what the factory might have used. Maybe it's asbestos.:eek:

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Foam removal stinks. This foam is 99% dry, can't imagine what the waterlogged ones are like.:eek:

I'm considering exposing all the rivets, removing all the foam near the edges and taking a couple inches off the top of the rest.:confused: It would save a bit of work and save on the budget of all new structural foam.

Also trying to figure out why this weighed more than the spec weight. It is not because of water.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Definitely NO FUN at all!! me thinks it's a good thing its dry. Last few inches will make the decision I guess.

64osby

Admiral
kc - Yea it is a good thing.

Not much boat work this weekend, did spend a few hours yesterday. Spent most of the weekend working on some tile.

Making the Admiral happy is important, she had picked up the tile at a garage sale. Cost more for the mortar than the tile. She is a bottom feeder too.:D

IMAG06411.jpg

Just need to grout and trim the edges.

GA_Boater

That's a neat lookin' stove, 64. An oldie or a modern old looking one?

GA_Boater

Looks like it belongs in an the parlor of a mid 19th century Victorian home. In guess in 1904 it was new-fangled. :smile: Very nice, 64. The tile looks real good, too.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
Just finished reading your thread completely and, as Yogi Berra reportedly once said, "It's de'ja vu all over again!" I had a 1966 LS Medallion II for 23 years and understand everything you are saying. I gave up on mine due to extensive corrosion discovered after I removed the transom core and aft two-thirds of the sole with a shovel. Incredibly, my 1968 Johnson 100HP V4 did not fall off but the flexing is what got my attention. I too found only dry foam and can verify this design does not have any ribs or stringers. The hull/sole bonding was very strong in mine also. Mine was untouched by a PO, so I saw only OEM stuff. I joined the iboats.com Forum in 2006 in hopes I could find some ideas on how to save it but gave up and purchased a dual console 18 foot fiberglass Custom Craft OB. I miss my old Lone Star and will try to help you anyway I can. Good luck!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Willy, Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully this one is not as bad as yours was.

Getting closer to pulling the wood out of the transom. Until then it is just guessing.

Not much will happen in the next week or two. Going up north for the deer opener.

It is snowing, the forecast is calling for up to 9" of the fluffy stuff.

Willyclay

Captain
Hopefully this one is not as bad as yours was. Getting closer to pulling the wood out of the transom.

I can tell by the pictures that your's is way better than mine. Also, most of my boating occurs in saltwater which causes evil things to happen. Stay safe and warm during your deer hunting!

Last edited: