Lone Star Medallion II 1966, Oh Scrap!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hey, if you come up w/ a rim source, let me know. I couldn't find any and just subbed my 4.8X12 5 lugs to drag my Gator trailer back.

Mine are 2 pc rims, so depending on the inspection to make the trailer legal, mine may not pass. 2 part rims aren't street legal in the US as far as I know.

And even if I can make the rims work, I think they are tube rims, so I'll need the right size tube too :facepalm:

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Spent some quality time at the Sec. of State today. Registered the boat and trailer.

Just wanted to make sure that the boat was legal and in my name before investing a few hundred hours and more than a few hundred bucks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Spent some quality time at the Sec. of State today. Registered the boat and trailer.

Just wanted to make sure that the boat was legal and in my name before investing a few hundred hours and more than a few hundred bucks.

Now that was a good plan. Now the wallet is open and the clock is turned around. :eek: :lol:

BTW - Your sig pics are gone for some reason.

64osby

Admiral
??? on sig pic it was there yesterday. :confused:

I wish the wallet was opened. Saw a 140 Johnnyrude with controls for $400. I would love to toss that on the Mariner and use the 90 on this.

Long ways from needing a motor but good deals only come along so often.

Need to sell a few things to get the boat fund up.;)

Also need to be sure she's not scrap.

Edit sigpic is back:confused: But not on previous post?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The sig pic thing seems to be a glitch... yeah I know weird huh? :lol: It's been happening to me too so don't mess with it yet.

64osby

Admiral
Have figured out that in order to fix this...

IMAG04841.jpg

I need to get behind this.

IMAG05941.jpg

The other reason the bow structure needs to come out is...

IMAG05991.jpg

IMAG05981.jpg

The floor is rotten underneath on each side. I was hoping I wouldn't really have to take that out. With the bow eye loose, the floor and the seam out it will come. The PO that had worked on the sole did not remove this bow structure.

Pulled the upholstered parts off the consoles, Pulled all the screws from under the bow, but still couldn't get the front panel out.

The other interesting items noted were under the sole on top of the foam.

IMAG05961.jpg

IMAG06011.jpg

Under the middle portion of the sole there is an aluminum strip that runs up the edge, no fasteners. It is about 7' long.

Also a piece of 1/2 x 4" ply under the sole. It has screws in it through the sole. This appears only at this seam of the sole.

A chilly day here in Southern Michigan. Started at 23 with a high of 40 about 4pm. We had those white fluffy things falling from the sky yesterday.

Trying to keep everything dry inside the boat. Without a bilge drain, the water will not drain and will freeze. Have two tarps that seem to be working so far.

The sig pic still seems to be a glitch.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Are those boxes up front foam filled ply boxes? You got a strange hybrid, 64.

GA_Boater

I bet those boxes have the best tabbing to the hull in the boat, too. :facepalm:

64osby

Admiral
Busy day around here today. Picked up gas for the mowers and blowers and... Propane for the grill. Cleaned the gutters ( love my leaf blower for that). Fixed the ice melt wire on the back of the house. Helped the Admiral put up some grape juice for making jam (she makes the best). New battery in her car. Hopefully sealed the windshield leak in the Suburban.

Was able to sneak out to the project for an hour.

IMAG06071.jpg

What a pain that was. Fiberglass, glue, foam and hidden screws bonded it to the hull and floor.

Used a few of my favorite tools..

IMAG06041.jpg

Angle bracket screwed to the floor was behind the panel.

IMAG06051.jpg

Slow going getting this foam off. Lapstruck hull, seam / rivets, curved hull and it is hard as a rock.

IMAG06081.jpg

Watermann

Whoa you crawled up under there to do all that? Thinking I would have pulled the whole front end bow cover and all off of her to get it to where I could not only tear down easier but the eventual rebuild.

64osby

Admiral
That bow is what is holding this together. It is not coming off unless I build a formed hull support. That is not going to happen.

It would be easier if I could get the vertical panel off but there is something holding it in place that I can't find yet.

Thankfully I'm still able to tuck in, bend and twist to get to what is needed.

64osby

Admiral
Yeah have a good bone snapper, but the inversion table has kept him at bay for about a year.:joyous:

Bow eye is behind the foam tucked in the keel. You should see the keel this thing has. I'll take a pic when able.

At this point this is my work space.

IMAG06091.jpg

There is a 10' 2x4 on the windshield and supported in the rear by a 4' V. No standing up unless I can get this in the pole barn.

Thank goodness I'm still thin. Had to get my head and shoulders in to this to get that bow structure out. IMAG04641.jpg

IMAG04651.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I'm gonna call you 64Houdini. LOL I had no idea you were crawling into the anchor locker. :eek:

64osby

Admiral
Swinging the hammer, hitting the paint scraper, peeling up the fiberglass, while tucked in there, was the real trick.;)

Watermann

Jeez contortionist is right :lol: You should take up ship building in bottles!

Amazing to see what lengths LS went to in order to build this boat. Cool badge up in there on the door too.

64osby

Admiral
H2O Yeah that emblem is staying.

Was finally able to get that panel out. Turns out it was wedged between a bow support strut and the front hatch. Much easier getting to that foam now.

The way they built this is sure different. The aluminum angles that held the bow structure in are screwed to the sole from the bottom up. So the factory built this from the bottom up. Built the floor, attached the bow structure, glassed it in and then foamed it (possibly foamed then glassed). The storage panel / compartment was then dropped in before the bow cap was installed.

I really think they were trying to make a tin boat using glass style production.