Kansas City PM38 Build [Splashed 2017]

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The boat looks great and I am glad you added the steps to the trailer! I think you will be happy about that at the ramp and when doing service.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Wow! I really like the paint job! Looks so nice and shiny. She's going to be the purdiest boat on the lake! Can't wait to see your splash pictures!
That trailer turned out really nice too. I really like the steps you added. Not having any on mine I can tell you you'll appreciate them!

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Thanks for all the comments! I am finally starting to get a little time to work on it.

I got the boat flipped back over and noticed a few areas that needed some fill/sanding. It's amazing what you can see in better light. A little filler and alot of sanding later, it received a new coat of primer.

Attachments

• photo269733.jpg
    photo269733.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269734.jpg
    photo269734.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 0

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Nothing but admiration for your skills and stick-to-itiveness! Super

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This past weekend I had a few extra days off. It was time to get this boat painted! I sprayed the topside with 2 coats of Kubota Orange, then resprayed the inside with smoke gray. I am in no way a professional painter but I am very happy with the results :D

I am going to let it sit for a few days more to make sure the paint hardens, then put it back on the trailer before starting hardware installation.

On Monday, I finished up the trailer, got it inspected, titled and registered! One big check mark on the completion list.

The last bits of the puzzle still need to be done. I need to finish up the paint on the outboard, install steering, seats, floor panels, throttle, boat inspection ........ The closer I get to the splash the longer the list seems to get :eek:

This weekend I am hooking up the camper and heading to the lake for a weekend of much needed relaxation! Of course, trips to the lake also seem to motivate me to get the boat done :lol:

Scott

Attachments

• photo269737.jpg
    photo269737.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269738.jpg
    photo269738.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269739.jpg
    photo269739.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269740.jpg
    photo269740.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow!! Very nice work! That paint really pops! The Kubota in the background blended in so well, it looked like a wake board tower. Made me look twice. 😁

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You said you were not a professional, but your paint jobs says otherwise. Very nice paint job in my opinion. Bravo sir, bravo! :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks Wonderful! Its amazing the feeling you get when you step back after painting it and see your handy work! Makes all the priming and sanding worth it! Great job!

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Thanks for the comments :joyous: It takes on a totally different look with paint!

The boat is now sitting on the trailer, it's time to get hardware installed. So far I have the front seats, floor panels, steering helm and outboard control mounted. I took some time today, worked on the outboard, finished up the carb rebuild and found worn out steering mounts. Found some on eBay and they are on the way. It will slow down the outboard a little bit, but I still have stuff to do on the boat.

The plan right now is to get her into the water before I run out of summer! I'll add a windshield and the rear seats as time permits, maybe even over the fall/winter.

I did get cleats and transom eyes installed today. Its really coming together, can't wait to launch her for the first time :joyous:

Scott

Attachments

• photo271169.jpg
    photo271169.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271170.jpg
    photo271170.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271171.jpg
    photo271171.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271172.jpg
    photo271172.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 0

Willyclay

Captain
Looks great! Anxiously awaiting your update about the "splash" and how the Mercury 25HP performs. Good luck!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks nice, I have the same throttle, works great. I found my NOS, made me think about it when I saw your!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I do like the seat colors matching the hull paint scheme. Very nice there...

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

A little bit more done tonight. Received the parts for the outboard, got it back together and sitting on the transom :D

I still need to hook everything up and build a steering link. Alot of little things to do yet but making progress.

What do you guys think of the height of the outboard? To me, it looks like it could be a little bit low, but thinking of giving it a shot and see how it does.

Scott

Attachments

• photo271712.jpg
    photo271712.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271713.jpg
    photo271713.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Scott,

Does the cavitation plate line up with the bottom of the hull? Looks like it might be a littler lower than the hull in the pic.

Ned L

Commander
Great job! She has really come out beautifully.
I see what you mean about the cavitation plate. With that little bit I would certainly just see how she performs before doing anything.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree, the cavitation plate is lower then usual. If it runs good, have at it. But you will pick up both better control and speed if you decide to raise it. JMHO

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a little bit of reading today and looking at other PM-38's, I think I am going to look at raising the outboard so the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the hull. It shouldn't take too much, maybe 1 1/2" or so should do it.

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Wow! This looks awesome! I really like your color scheme. And she sits nicely on that trailer as well. Very well done! So how close are you to your splash?

It looks like your motor hangs slightly lower than mine. Are you just going to make a block of wood for it to rest on, on top of the transom? Oh, and have you painted your motor? It looks so nice and shiny. As a winter project I think I'll work on painting mine. I'm holding off on the new decals until that's done.

I think you will like your seats. Those wooden benches are pretty hard to sit on when you hit some waves at high speed! :lol:

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Wow! This looks awesome! I really like your color scheme. And she sits nicely on that trailer as well. Very well done! So how close are you to your splash?

It looks like your motor hangs slightly lower than mine. Are you just going to make a block of wood for it to rest on, on top of the transom? Oh, and have you painted your motor? It looks so nice and shiny. As a winter project I think I'll work on painting mine. I'm holding off on the new decals until that's done.

I think you will like your seats. Those wooden benches are pretty hard to sit on when you hit some waves at high speed! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments on the color scheme! I bought the seats and really liked how the colors worked with each other so, I painted the boat to match :D

Yeah, the outboard was a little low. I fixed that this weekend, I added a 1 1/2" block to the top of the transom sandwiched between 2 aluminum plates (very similar to what the plans showed). The cavitation plate is now level with the bottom of the hull. The outboard did get a quick coat of black paint :) it was looking pretty sad when I got it, like someone backed it into a treeline, lots of scratches and dings. I figured it's a new boat, the outboard should look good too!

As for the splash, shooting for late August. I still have electrical to wire (got the lights and switches mounted this weekend), motor control cables and get the boat inspected/registered. We are expecting our first grandchild around August 4th, so there will be a 2 week trip to Virginia in there too :D My birthday is in September and I already have a waterfront site booked at Pomme De Terre lake, the boat WILL be in the water by then. Especially since our site is right acrossed the cove from the boat launch!

Scott

Attachments

• photo272058.jpg
    photo272058.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272059.jpg
    photo272059.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272060.jpg
    photo272060.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the compliments on the color scheme! I bought the seats and really liked how the colors worked with each other so, I painted the boat to match :D

Yeah, the outboard was a little low. I fixed that this weekend, I added a 1 1/2" block to the top of the transom sandwiched between 2 aluminum plates (very similar to what the plans showed). The cavitation plate is now level with the bottom of the hull. The outboard did get a quick coat of black paint :) it was looking pretty sad when I got it, like someone backed it into a treeline, lots of scratches and dings. I figured it's a new boat, the outboard should look good too!

As for the splash, shooting for late August. I still have electrical to wire (got the lights and switches mounted this weekend), motor control cables and get the boat inspected/registered. We are expecting our first grandchild around August 4th, so there will be a 2 week trip to Virginia in there too :D My birthday is in September and I already have a waterfront site booked at Pomme De Terre lake, the boat WILL be in the water by then. Especially since our site is right acrossed the cove from the boat launch!

Scott

Mine looks about the same. It has lots of little dings and scuffs so now that I see it on the boat, I want it to look nicer. :lol: Did you do any kind of sanding on it before you painted it? I am pondering using some of the fairing epoxy on the cowling before I paint it. It has a few fairly deep scratches that would be nice to fill in first. Yours looks great! Are you going to put new decals on it as well?

Your splash plans sound great! Can't wait to see her in the water!