Kansas City PM38 Build [Splashed 2017]

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is awesome! Glad to hear you are getting close to your splash! So in Missouri the DMV registers boats? Here in Georgia the DNR handles that so I got my HIN and registration number at the same time. Interesting how the different states do things differently. Did an officer actually come and look at your boat? For mine he opted to just do it over the phone. Guess I sounded trustworthy or something. :lol:

I bet you got one of the carbs I was watching on eBay. :) I wasn't going to buy one, I was just curious to see what was out there. I'm glad to see they pop up there from time to time in case I'll need a new one at some point. Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of the electric choke setup on yours? I can't seem to get mine working right so I'm curious to see what yours looks like. Perhaps I can get some clues from looking at it. The enrichment valve on mine tends to stick in open position so for now I have removed the solenoid and arm that triggers it and just use the choke knob on the motor. I'm hoping a good cleaning when I decide to take the carb apart will help.

Everything is harder in Missouri :lol:

I had to schedule an appointment and take the boat to the Missouri Highway Patrol inspection station, the officer inspected it there, took a look at the plans and checked receipts from the build. Once that was done, he filled out a form stating it was a homebuilt boat and needed a HIN issued. Then I had to take that paperwork to DMV, get an application for title and send the paperwork to Jefferson City (Missouri Capital). Once they process the paperwork, they will issue the actual ID tag, it is sent to the inspecting officer, he then calls me to set up another appointment ............... I have to bring the boat back to the inspection station where they will install the ID tag on the boat. Then comes more paperwork, he completes another form, stating the ID tag has been placed on the boat and sends it back to Jefferson City, once they see that paperwork, they will process the application for title and send me a title. I am hoping to be able to register the boat once the ID tag is installed and not have to wait on the actual title paperwork.

Missouri requires everything to be titled and registered separately, which is kind of a pain. I have the title and registration done on the trailer and outboard already, last step is the boat.

One more step closer though, got the carb installed on the motor, a few minor tweaks to the idle and linkages, now it runs pretty good! Of course I am just running with a hose adapter and still may have a little adjusting to do once its actually in the water under a load. The electric choke is a big plus, made it so much easier to start the motor without running back and forth.

So now, the boat is ready, the motor is ready and I wait for the phone call ............................

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Pek, I attached a few pics of the electric choke on mine. When I first got it, the solenoid was very sticky, I pulled the rod out and gave it a good cleaning, seems to work fine. You might try that with yours if it is sticking. I am assuming the whole linkage is sticking and holding the enrichment valve open?

Scott

Attachments

• photo276008.JPG
    photo276008.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276009.JPG
    photo276009.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276010.JPG
    photo276010.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Pek, I attached a few pics of the electric choke on mine. When I first got it, the solenoid was very sticky, I pulled the rod out and gave it a good cleaning, seems to work fine. You might try that with yours if it is sticking. I am assuming the whole linkage is sticking and holding the enrichment valve open?

Scott

Thanks for those pictures. It looks just like mine so now I know what I have should be correct. The valve itself does tend to stick in open position when I press it, but originally the black lever that the solenoid operates was stuck and held the valve open. That was my original problem. For some reason that lever would not move at all. Right now I have taken it off so the valve stays closed. I'll have to tinker with it some more and see if I can get it to work.

Have you gotten the phone call yet?

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you gotten the phone call yet?

Got the phone call late Thursday afternoon and took the boat in on Friday. They installed the official ID plate on the transom :joyous:

Now, I am still playing the waiting game. To register a boat in Missouri you need to have a title, bill of sale or statement of origin ......... So until I get the title in the mail, I still can't register the boat ...........So no splash until I get the title :grumpy:

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally, after a 5 week process ........................ I have a Title and registration :eek: :D :D :D :D

Hoping to get it to the lake this weekend! Can't wait to see how the boat does in the water :joyous:

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Oooo! Awesome!! :bounce: Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how she does for you!

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It;s Officially a Boat :D

1 Year, 1 month and 4 days from pile of lumber to Splash! I am happy to report everything went excellent. I was a little worried about the motor, being I had the carb issues and really never had it running under any kind of load, but it ran flawless and had great power for a 37 year old motor. My wife back me in for the first launch and I took the boat out for a few minutes by myself, just to make sure everything checked out. On that first run I was able to get 30.6 mph indicated on my GPS :) The boat came up on plane really quick and handles pretty good in the water. Once the shake down run was complete, I picked up my wife and daughter at the dock, and we played around on the lake for the next few hours. We all had a blast :D With 3 of us and a cooler in the boat, I was still able to get 28 mph. The trailer worked pretty good too, launch was easy and recovery wasn't too bad either. I may end up adding a small bunk to the middle section just to make loading a little easier.

This was my first boat build, I learned alot and it paid off in the end. I am very happy with this build. Thanks for all of you who helped along the way!

I am hoping to make it to the lake a few more times before the cold weather really kicks in. Then it's time to add some back seats and a wind shield.

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

A few more pictures of first launch day.

Scott

Attachments

• photo278314.jpg
    photo278314.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278315.jpg
    photo278315.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278316.jpg
    photo278316.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278317.jpg
    photo278317.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278318.jpg
    photo278318.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the kind words! I really enjoyed the few hours we spent on the lake, it made it all worth it. I haven't had a chance to take it back out yet, but hoping for good weather this weekend. I want to get it in the water atleast once more before the fall weather kicks in.

I need to figure out some options for either a rub rail or fenders, I noticed a few dings on the boat from rubbing on the dock bumpers. Part of the reason for the dings is the boat sits power in the water than the dock bumpers, as the boat moves it comes in contact with the bumper from below, catching the edge.

Scott