Johnson VROs how reliable?

This is the first VRO I have owned....how reliable are they? I'm just a lil concerned because of the age of the outboard that came with the boat I just bought. I bought a service manual, so I know how to check them out but I also hear a lot of people who disable them and just pre mix. Also should I have a primer bulb (read online I should have one) in between the motor and the VRO reservoir because I don't! Thanks in advance!

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Johnson VROs how reliable?

Would help to know how old a motor you are talking about.....model number?

In general they are pretty reliable but nothing lasts forever.

mark1961

Ensign

84 Johnson 150 V6 VRO

Its one of the oldest VRO systems.....the oil side of the pump is not serviceable and replacement pumps are expensive.....i think its generally accepted when they reach this age its only a matter of time before it will fail you.....if its still running the original pump i would suggest you consider converting it over to run premix.

Its one of the oldest VRO systems.....the oil side of the pump is not serviceable and replacement pumps are expensive.....i think its generally accepted when they reach this age its only a matter of time before it will fail on you.....i would suggest you consider converting it over to run premix.

Ouch I just looked up replacing the pump online and it was a minimum $400.....my worst fear is that the VRO system would fail and my engine would not be lubricated properly......What would all be involved converting it over to a pre mix? Pricey? Pretty simple? What would the fuel/oil mix be for this outboard? Thank you so much for the help!

JRDIII

Cadet

It's very simple. Just do a search for replacing VRO on this thread or on YouTube. You just disconnect all of the wiring to the VRO, and then cut the oil line where it comes into the motor housing (right next to the gas line). Plug the oil line with a screw or something similar and clamp it off. Remove the messy oil tank and hoses from your boat. Pre-mix your fuel tank at 50:1, and then prime the fuel line very well to make sure you get lubricated fuel into it before you start it the first time. And you are done!

I disconnected the VRO on my 1992 Johnson about a month ago, and I haven't missed it a bit. Getting that nasty oil tank out of the boat has been a huge plus. Pre-mixing fuel is no big deal to me at all, and now I have the peace of mind knowing that lubricated fuel is going to my engine at all times. Do it!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's the orginial vro, you may not have any wires coming out of it.

JRDIII

Cadet

If it's the orginial vro, you may not have any wires coming out of it.

Good point. And to be clear, on the VROs that do have wiring, the wiring has nothing to do with the operation of the VRO or fuel pump. The wiring is for the oil and fuel pressure alarm on the control system. You'll want to unplug any wiring so that your alarm isn't going off once the VRO is disconnected.

It's very simple. Just do a search for replacing VRO on this thread or on YouTube. You just disconnect all of the wiring to the VRO, and then cut the oil line where it comes into the motor housing (right next to the gas line). Plug the oil line with a screw or something similar and clamp it off. Remove the messy oil tank and hoses from your boat. Pre-mix your fuel tank at 50:1, and then prime the fuel line very well to make sure you get lubricated fuel into it before you start it the first time. And you are done!

I disconnected the VRO on my 1992 Johnson about a month ago, and I haven't missed it a bit. Getting that nasty oil tank out of the boat has been a huge plus. Pre-mixing fuel is no big deal to me at all, and now I have the peace of mind knowing that lubricated fuel is going to my engine at all times. Do it!

Thank you very very much. This is super helpful. I think I will disconnected it for piece of mind. For some reason the VRO made me uncomfortable knowing that the fate of my engine lies in the operation of that pump. I have no issue pre mixing. I'll be able to boat with confidence knowing its pre mixed. And like you said I can get rid of the tank and hoses and it actually frees up space for another battery I wanted to put in because of the layout of my boat. I'll check out the thread and you tube and I'll be doing this soon. I've got less than a 1/4 tank of gas in it now.....should I run it down a lil bit more before disconnecting? That way I know that I am getting that premix in the motor right away?

photo-10.JPG

Thank you very very much. This is super helpful. I think I will disconnected it for piece of mind. For some reason the VRO made me uncomfortable knowing that the fate of my engine lies in the operation of that pump. I have no issue pre mixing. I'll be able to boat with confidence knowing its pre mixed. And like you said I can get rid of the tank and hoses and it actually frees up space for another battery I wanted to put in because of the layout of my boat. I'll check out the thread and you tube and I'll be doing this soon. I've got less than a 1/4 tank of gas in it now.....should I run it down a lil bit more before disconnecting? That way I know that I am getting that premix in the motor right away?

View attachment 168226

You can see the tank to the right in the picture....great spot for my second battery now!

I haven't gone outside yet to look at the motor but from the service manual it looks like there are fuel lines to the VRO pump....Does fuel run through the pump also? If I disconnect the wiring do I have to worry about disabling the overheat horn also or does it just disable the pump and low oil warning horn? I read a few places that they are tied together.....

mark1961

Ensign

Yes, the pump has fuel and oil sides.....you have the option of disabling the oil side only and supplying the motor with premix via the fuel side OR disabling that pump completely and fitting a pulse pump.

Here is a guide which would assist you if you decide on option 1.....

http://www.nitroowners.com/projects/VRO_the_removal.htm

This is the cheapest option but not the best long term.....it will only be cheap while the fuel side lasts, rebuild kits can be had but are a little pricey.....

http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html

Yes, the pump has fuel and oil sides.....you have the option of disabling the oil side only and supplying the motor with premix via the fuel side OR disabling that pump completely and fitting a pulse pump.

Here is a guide which would assist you if you decide on option 1.....

http://www.nitroowners.com/projects... [url]http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html

Thank you very much!