Ballistic Testing

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have been unable to walk for very short distances due to a spine and leg problem. As frustrating as it has been...... I still need to exercise and get out to enjoy the fresh air.

Yesterday, I took my BP knight 50 cal out of the cabinet and went with a friend into the woods on his property. I hobbled about 100' from the logging road in search of a good test subject.

Quietly at about 100 yards I saw a test subject...... I had not fired my BP in about 8 years.

2 50gr pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain .44 cal Hornaday XTP in a sabot.

Expansion was perfect........ and the bullet was located on the far side just beneath the hide which means all the energy was expended and none lost :D

Kinda crumby cell phone snapshots.

Attachments

• IMG00029-20091205-2203.jpg
    IMG00029-20091205-2203.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00024-20091205-2147.jpg
    IMG00024-20091205-2147.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Ballistic Testing

Look's like you can still get the job done and that is all that really matters.

Nice Shooting.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well, I would be remiss is I did not give credit to my best friend Rich for going to get his 4 wheeler and dragging it out.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Great Test Shot there Bob,....
I bet the Target is goin' ta be mighty Tasty,....;)

Btw,... There's 2 Ls in Ballistics,...:D

Bob_VT

Staff member

Huh?? :confused: :p

Fixed it ;)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Doesnt 50 cal = jellyed meat :eek:

j_martin

Admiral

Neighbor just gave me a nice doe shot through the heart with that load. Both front shoulders got in the way. Whatta mess they were.

I shot one with a shotgun and a remington all copper sabot slug. Subway tunnel clear through, no metal in the meat. Deer went 2 feet straight down.

Nice to see yer not too far gone to get the job done.

John

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yum!!!
I have never brought a deer out of the woods on wheels.Of course I haven't shot a deer for many years either.Congratulations on a good ending to a painful journey,it was worth the effort.Ron G

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Nice looking Doe there Bob Congratulations its going to look even better in the freezer ;)
Quick BP question for ya, With the pyrodex do you have to wet patch dry patch after every shot? Went to the range today with the triple 7 magnum pellets + 250g T/C shockwave loads, very dirty, had to clean after every shot. any BP advice?

Regards,
Bill

mscher

Lieutenant

Well, I would be remiss is I did not give credit to my best friend Rich for going to get his 4 wheeler and dragging it out.

There are a lot of 20 year old's, who are too unfit, to drag a deer out of the woods.

You have probably dragged your fair share.

Bob_VT

Staff member

In my youth I have dragged 2 at a time and I felt like a log skidder but I am paying the price for that and many other physical feats now. Nope my friend Rich dragged it about 200 yards then we we and got the 4 wheeler.

HVAC... I shoot a knight (older 15 years old) and I love the pyrodex pellets. I don't go nuts....I usually drop in 2 pellets (the "100 gr equal")..... as far as swabbing the barrel I just reload. I do have a strange habit..... I put scotch tape over the end of the barrel. Since BP season is usually wet and snowy up here ...... I like to keep the water out of the barrel. I start the "season" with a clean dry barrel and at the end I will deep clean it. I have shot real BP and pyrodex only. Real BP leaves a nasty corrosive residue so I just stick with pyrodex.

I have not tried triple 7 only because I had so many pyrodex pellets on hand.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use pretty much the same setup. I shoot a double barrel (side by Side) Kodiak express 50 cal. and a 250 grain .44 bullet w/ sabot. I just recently started using pellets instead of powder. The pellets actually work great. I also took the precussion cap nipples off and replaced them with a setup that takes rifle primers. I get better powder burn this way. Muzzle season starts next week for us. So far this year I have one buck with the bow and one doe with the shotgun.

I am using Brenneke 1 oz rifled slugs w/ a rifled slug barrel on my 12 ga. Let me tell you what, both does I have shot went down in a pile. They didn't even get the chance to run.

Let us know Bob when you test again.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Nice looking Doe there Bob Congratulations its going to look even better in the freezer ;)
Quick BP question for ya, With the pyrodex do you have to wet patch dry patch after every shot? Went to the range today with the triple 7 magnum pellets + 250g T/C shockwave loads, very dirty, had to clean after every shot. any BP advice?

Regards,
Bill

I'll weigh in. From what I recall, sabots are tough to load with a clean barrel. Add powder residue and it can be almost impossible to load. So cleaning between rounds can be advantageous. Also, some guns shoot better when cleaning between rounds. I've also seen others that shoot better after a round was shot first to dirty the barrel. All depends on your specific gun. Given your target on another thread, I'd say clean between shots!

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have noticed that after shooting 4ish rounds out of each barrel it gets quite hard to push a sabot down the barrel; hence swabbing in regular intervals is definately the solution.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

No problems with sabots, here. I have more than one blackpowder gun, but my favorite is a Remington 700. It took a while to find a sabot/bullet combo she would shoot tiny groups with. I finally discovered that Knight sabots with a Lyman .250gr .45LC cowboy action bullet over 90 grains of Pyrodex would give me under 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like deer jerky is on the menu this winter! :)

Nice shootin', Tex.