It begins

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Transom somewhat bolted up, thru hull fitting for the bilge pump installed, rivets and screw holes topped with 3m 4000 (less permanent than 5200, just in case) and I took Watermans advice and ran some stainless steel bolts through the knee brace for shear support.

hayko1971

I guess it's time for an update. I got the top sides painted, vinyl on the floor, vinyl wrapped on all pieces that are to get vinyl. New side panels and console panels cut and wrapped, bow seating benches cut and wrapped and carpet installed on everything that's to get carpet.

hayko1971

Here's my oopsie... I cut my plywood and lexan for my dash pieces, but I goofed bad and used too thin ply AND I cut them too small 😯
The gauge holes worked out though, I cut them with a jig saw as the hole saws I had on hand were all the wrong size! The Admiral grabbed me anothe piece of lexan so I can redo them the proper size, what a gal!

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good, another step towards being under the sun and on the waves :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Looking real good Rob, if you took 1 more week of you could be splashing next weekend:D

Decker83

Commander
Your work is looking great.. The carpet and vinyl looks fantastic.. You or :plane: through this restore..:thumb:

hayko1971

Thanks guys! Yes I'm pushing hard to get it done, fishing season is a week in here and when I started this process, the Admiral let me know that she better not miss many boat days because the boat is tore apart LOL! But that also means I have free reign to get it done 😬😬😬

hayko1971

rub rail channel on, rub rail on, inside gunwale trim on, faded blue plastics now orange, consoles in, dashes made and stripes on

dozerII

Admiral
She looks amazing Rob, tell us what you used to change the color on the plastic rubrail and cleat inserts?

hayko1971

She looks amazing Rob, tell us what you used to change the color on the plastic rubrail and cleat inserts?

I used Rustoleum Painters touch. It bonds to plastic quite well. I have been dragging the rub rails in and out of my garage and all over the yard and they are still good. I even tried wrapping one with vinyl tape for extra protection, but it looked bad so I ripped the tape off with no ill effects... the paint has bonded well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Awesome work! Looks super sharp with the pin stripes and accents. :thumb:

hayko1971

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement guys! A little more progress tonight. Side walls stuffed with foam and riveted on, dash panels installed and the windshield set up for a test fit. It all lines up good!!! I'm quite happy about that!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looking real good. I meant to say earlier I really like your dash pieces. What did you use to cover the fronts? My dash pieces are original in our SS and missing the aluminum trim pieces. I'm going to have to redo them soon I'm afraid, and am going to try and make new trim pieces for them if I can. Our boat is an 81 SS160 and your work on yours is giving me some good ideas for ours. You are really flying through your resto.

hayko1971

Looking real good. I meant to say earlier I really like your dash pieces. What did you use to cover the fronts? My dash pieces are original in our SS and missing the aluminum trim pieces. I'm going to have to redo them soon I'm afraid, and am going to try and make new trim pieces for them if I can. Our boat is an 81 SS160 and your work on yours is giving me some good ideas for ours. You are really flying through your resto.

Thanks! The dash pieces are 3/4 ply left over from the transom rebuild covered with carbon fiber vinyl car wrap decal (about $17) that can be found at many stores, even wallymart carrys it here.then lexan/plexiglass ($12) over top to hopefully provide some protection for the decal. That combo fits perfectly inside the channel of the aluminum trim. I originaly cut the dashes out of 5/8 but cut them too small and they were very loose inside the trim so I re did them. I think I would like to get some white faced gauges for it now.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
WOW she is looking awesome!!!! That was a great ideal about the plex glass..
Rub rail really stands out..
Looking forward to seeing the seats put in and the finished boat..