It begins

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work, I do enjoy seeing the SC swoosh. Those lines would pop right out if you were to edge them with a darker pin stripe. It would also clean up any imperfections or bleed out on the lines. CJ put some pin striping on his Chief's dividing line and it looked pretty good.

Looks like your on track for some fun on the water this summer! :thumb:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Nice work, I do enjoy seeing the SC swoosh. Those lines would pop right out if you were to edge them with a darker pin stripe. It would also clean up any imperfections or bleed out on the lines. CJ put some pin striping on his Chief's dividing line and it looked pretty good.

Looks like your on track for some fun on the water this summer! :thumb:

Yup, it's getting outlined in orange pinstripe to tie into the trailer, I just haven't got it yet.

dozerII

Admiral
Looking really good Rob, you sure did get a lot done this weekend. What are your plans for the interior colors?

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Great work! That's some fast work too, that's a lot of work in a short time. That boat will be cruise'n soon.

hayko1971

Looking really good Rob, you sure did get a lot done this weekend. What are your plans for the interior colors?
Tin inside (Spalshwell, consoles etc will get white, grey vinyl and grey carpet. I have some seat covers that have very visible draw strings that will get replaced with orange paracord to tie it all in. I'm still toying around with layout ideas, but it will basically remain true to the original design except I have 2 pedestal seats vs the back to backs.

Thanks guys!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Paint job is awesome! Really nice work! :thumb:

Decker83

Commander
That paint looks fantastic.. The orange pin stripe will make it POP..
I need to drink some of what you have..:laugh:
Man that is a lot of work and done with craftsmanship.. Great job..

hayko1971

Not my day today, started with a flat tire, not really a big deal but still...
As I was putting my consoles together, I thought I should just use pop rivets, but decided to use solid rivets as it was.
I butchered the rivets and scratched my new paint

I'll likely drill the rivets out and go with blind ones, paint should touch up okay I guess.

hayko1971

On the plus side, pre Gluvit leak test only revealed one weeping rivet on the channel/ledge that the transom wood rests on...

And I'm pretty happy with how the splashwell turned out.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
wow, really like the paint job, making great progress!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
20150503_122334_zpslatgdpuc.jpg

That looks awesome, man. It'll look great with the orange detail.

It might be a good opportunity to check your splashwell for stress cracks from the inside...just take a look at all the force bearing joints. Mine had a couple that I patched up from a PO running with a bad transom. It's an easy jb weld/aluminum sheet fix if there are any. The boat looks really great.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The SS is looking good so far and you've got some good forward momentum going so don't sweat the little mishaps. You're going to have her on the water in no time :thumb:

Just a couple suggestions,
The channel you're referring to as having a leaky rivet is known as the 'Z' bracket or at least that's what we started calling it for whatever reason :lol: Gluvit won't seal the rivet in the Z bracket, it should be replaced with some 5200 to seal it up since it's below the waterline.

Driving solid rivets isn't something you can do single handed but I guess you know that now. :blue: Smaller pieces prone to movement should be clamped to a solid surface and the pieces being riveted on either held with clecos or another clamp or else the vibration will be a problem with keeping the 2 pieces tight together.

Keep the awesome pics coming!

dozerII

Admiral
Not my day today, started with a flat tire, not really a big deal but still...
As I was putting my consoles together, I thought I should just use pop rivets, but decided to use solid rivets as it was.
I butchered the rivets and scratched my new paint

I'll likely drill the rivets out and go with blind ones, paint should touch up okay I guess.

I have had more that a couple rivets come out looking like that, it is one of the problems that come with using an air chisel instead of and actual rivet air hammer. But for us that are not going to buck thousands, who wants to spend $300. so we make do and add a little character to our projects.:rolleyes:

hayko1971

Oh the old gal's got loads of "character" lol, I wouldn't mind so much, but these are highly visible so I'll replace the rivets and touch it up. Not a big deal, and you are absolutely correct about the air chisel vs rivet hammer. It just didn't make sense to me to spend the money if I had something that I could make do with.
I don't regret my choice, this isn't like a $300 oopsie, just about 20 mins :rolleyes::rolleyes:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
trial by fire makes it fun! Especially inexpensive fire. I almost dont want mine to be complete so I know I have something to do with off time.

Boat is looking good there hayko, cant wait to see the pin stripes added.

hayko1971

Pretty crappy weather for boat building this weekend, still too cold to apply the Gluvit to the seams, but I painted my floor and got the transom coated... Nothing like waiting for paint to dry😐😐

hayko1971

I'm using spar varnish on the transom, 3 coats each side hitting the edges each time for 6 coats on the edges.
The floor gets the same treatment except I'm using porch and floor paint for it. I could not find any cans of spar varnish bigger than 1 liter, but there were 4 liter pails of porch and floor enamel available. It will get covered with vinyl also.
I'm not a huge fan of the golden varnished wood look so I'm toying with going over the transom with a coat of paint after its all sealed up, or covering it somehow.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
right behind ya on the waiting for paint to dry, and the spar finish stuff. Havnt started yet but this week should be productive. Im in the 90's today, wishing for cold weather :eek:

hayko1971

well, For better or for worse, Gluvit is on woo!!!!! You guys were so right, that stuff reeks like dog poo!
Sorry, I didn't take any pics tonight, you can't really see it anyways yet.
Cheers all!

hayko1971

Gave the motor a quick and dirty paint job. It's far from good but looks good from afar!
She got a new tilt switch too, my old one would go up but not down, I tried to crack the sealed case open to repair the clicks button but broke it, so I just installed a momentary toggle switch with a rubber boot over it.