is this hull repairable?

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I'm an idiot and forgot to take photos of the deck after I ground it all down and cleaned it yesterday today I got some glass down and started grinding the bottom hopefully I can get the grinding and cleaning done tomorrow and start glassing the bottom. Here are a few photos of my progress it's not pretty by any means but it seems to be working/moving in the right direction. Let me know what you think so far constructive criticism is welcome since I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing lol

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry..wrong terminology. Im talking about 'cure coating' it. Yea you can keep laminating until it starts to kick. Then after its heat cycle you can go at it again without a problem. Its just when its Fully cured that becomes a bonding problem. If it does cure then you clean and scuff it.

You could use the epoxy on the inside and poly on the outside as long as its not poly over epoxy. Which to me it looks like your going to have a few spots that are gonna be back to back. You could however switch to vinylester resin on the outside. The deck you can solo with poly though. Im sure you're gonna see a difference when using poly vs epoxy in the application. IMO I would Never use epoxy in a boat repair unless its already epoxy or has some kind of wood involved. I would go straight to Vinylester resin before I used epoxy. Ive done it both ways and personally favor the poly.

Oh I was under the impression that that was the process that needed to be done on all hardened fiberglass. Thats not a big deal then

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What exactly is "drainage" your speaking of with the west system?

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also in regards to the deck. Should I gust use plywood again or should I fill the cavity with foam. If I g the foam route how exactly should I do that?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
What exactly is "drainage" your speaking of with the west system?

Its when the resin drains out of the glass. Leaving it kinda speckled dry or downright dry.

I dont know if you should be foaming it ( I honestly thought it was foamed from factory ). Ply should suffice though.

Looking good by the way. Now you just have to grind off any dead stuff on the outside and feather the rest.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its when the resin drains out of the glass. Leaving it kinda speckled dry or downright dry.

I dont know if you should be foaming it ( I honestly thought it was foamed from factory ). Ply should suffice though.

Looking good by the way. Now you just have to grind off any dead stuff on the outside and feather the rest.

Thanks! I was starting to worry my "handy work" scared everyone away. So far I'm happy with the way it's coming along..... it's not pretty or perfect I'm just hoping she floats lol

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Im watching, Im just not any good when it comes to the glass work, I kinda wish I had that situation so I would have the chance to attempt it. From my side its looking good. Im sure there are a few following and just dont want to give you wrong intel. Keep at it!

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im watching, Im just not any good when it comes to the glass work, I kinda wish I had that situation so I would have the chance to attempt it. From my side its looking good. Im sure there are a few following and just dont want to give you wrong intel. Keep at it!

Thank you. I am fortunate to have this week and next week off to put in the time but at the same time it's killing me that the time is not being spent on the water. It's definitely going better than I thought it would I'm hoping that maybe I'll be able to get it all done by the end of next week. Got my fingers crossed

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What do you guys recommend I do about the rub rail I really don't want to spend the $200+ to replace it (that's what I found online for prices) and also what should I do or what are mu options for replacing the railing that is broken?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
She'll float ! If ya can get it to the lake in one piece this time ! :boink: :lol:
What ya gunna do with the trailer ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I decided to look in to see what you are doing. I see you have taken the challenge and rebuilding it. Nice... I have an idea on how you can make it look like the other side. Take a piece of cardboard and cut it out to fit perfectly in the contour of the underside. Then flip it 180 degrees and use it to make sure the side you're rebuilding comes out the exact same contour. In other words, make a good template to use to get the repair correct... That will assist you in the final shaping effort. Keep the pictures coming. :thumb:

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I'm going to replace the tongue with a new 3x3 square steel stock put a new tounge receiver on it rewire it and call it good. I'll have to post photos to get you guys opinions on the trailer if it seems legit

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here are a few photos of the trailer anything other than the bent tounge that sticks out that would/could be an issue?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
You really only have a few options on the railings. Buy new..find a bone yard ..or make your own.

The rub rail is gonna be hard to find a replacement piece. So you're kinda in a jam with that. The bow rail can be made yourself with some new SS tube stock and a bender. You could even find someone to bend it for you. Take the other side off and take it to them for a reverse template kinda thing.

Oh..and how many layers of glass did ya get on the inside?

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have 4 layers of matt and 5 layers of roven woven.... seems pretty solid.
Should I be doing the same thing for the bottom using matt and roven woven or just use roven woven?

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Thats tank man lol.

Are you using epoxy on the outside too? If you're using woving with poly..then you must use mat before, between and after the woven. If your using woving with epoxy..then I dunno..never done that with woving.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thats tank man lol.

Are you using epoxy on the outside too? If you're using woving with poly..then you must use mat before, between and after the woven. If your using woving with epoxy..then I dunno..never done that with woving.

Yes I am using epoxy on the outside also I may pick up 1708 instead of the rovin woven... will probably be easier to work with

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
With epoxy you should use 1700, not 1708, no need for the attached CSM when using epoxy.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here it is I got 4 layers of cloth down (never mind that little bit of body filler in the bottom right had yo do it to get the right shape unfortunately)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Looks good from my house :) Good job man..good job.

See..that wasnt all that hard right? I love those kinda jobs. Taking something thats all smashed to hell and fixen 'er all up lol!