is this hull repairable?

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So long story short this boat/trailer came unhooked and hit a telephone pole at approximately 20mph or so. My question is it repairable/worth fixing? It's an older whaler style boat and I love the layout of the hull and would like to try to fix it if it's not a lost cause . I have experience with fiberglass I'm no professional by any means but have worked with it quite a bit in the past but haven't worked with it on boats much and have never tackled a project like this before. What do you guys think? Fix it or chop it up and truck it to the dump

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If it were me I think I would have to pass on trying to fix it .. It probably could be fixed if you had a real good glass lay up schedule from a professional .
On one of your other p/b pics there is a very large metal plate on the transom . This is telling me ya got issues there also ..

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldn't even cut it up, just haul it to the dump ;)

LOTS a work in rebuilding 1 that hasn't sustained a 20mph hit to a telephone pole..........

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The plates were installed by the previous owner because he had a long shaft motor and built up the transom to make it work

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok that explains the transom plate ... Sure is a shame .. Looks like a great little fishing boat if it weren't for the damage ..

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wouldn't even cut it up, just haul it to the dump ;)

LOTS a work in rebuilding 1 that hasn't sustained a 20mph hit to a telephone pole..........

That was my thought but people are telling me to fix it I don't think it's fixable. I would have to chop it up to put it in my truck cause the trailer is pretty well jacked up as well

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
If i owned it free and clear i would attempt the repair VS buying something else. It will be some work but it's fiberglass its fixable

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would not even attempt to fix that hull, bad news is never good, but I think you are probably beyond what is reasonable to fix.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok that explains the transom plate ... Sure is a shame .. Looks like a great little fishing boat if it weren't for the damage ..

Yea I'm pretty bummed out about it I never even got to put it in the water :-(

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If i owned it free and clear i would attempt the repair VS buying something else. It will be some work but it's fiberglass its fixable

I own it. Got a good deal on it paid cash it's an older boat everything was solid prior to the telephone pole incedent

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If you got the extra space and money over time, just keep it in the back yard and use it as practice or a fun hobby. Get advice from here and if it works out good you have a boat again. If not, you learn alot and get another boat or will probably already have one.

You wont have to feel rushed if you know It may not work out in the end. But it would be fun trying. (I do not know the cost of all that glassing stuff (disclaimer) for my 2 cents)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not sure how you would even start to repair that .. :fear:
Maybe the pro guys here will see it and chime in ..
Might pm ondarvr , Yacht Dr , Or maybe Woodonglass may have a plan ...

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Just curious. How did the trailer come unhooked? Did you have safety chains attached to the truck?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I was seriously leaning to the FIX IT Side until the next to last picture of the underside of the hull. It still is a fixable project, but you have to seriously think about the amount of time and money available to accomplish that. Being fiberglass means it can be fixed, but it is going to have to be totally worked over for both structural and cosmetic capabilities. If you serious love it, then fix it, But other wise, start looking for something equal or better. With all that stated, if it were mine and I really did loved the boat, (and knowing how brain dead as I can be some times), I would fix it for my own satisfaction. I do stupid things like that...too often! :facepalm:

scvcando

Recruit
I see that I'm entering this thread way late and either you have scrapped it or gone ahead with it. Let us know!
It certainly needs a lot of work! I kinda agree with g0nef1sshn. . If you like to do projects, which you must or you wouldn't have even considered this, the experience and knowledge that you pick up along the way could be invaluable for that NEXT project! And there's always a NEXT project for us DIYers!

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anything can be fixed, up to you on if its beyond what your comfortable with.

You always have the option of rather than cutting it up you could always give it away. Then no work involved.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just curious. How did the trailer come unhooked? Did you have safety chains attached to the truck?

The locking mechanism on the tongue failed I had the trailer latched with the proper sized ball and had a pin in the latch and safety chains crossed under tongue. The trailer popped off the ball as I went over a hill I started to slow down as soon as I realized it came off. The tongue landed on the chains like it's supposed to.... then at the trailer came up over the hill it started swinging violently back and forth until the chains snapped leaving then attached to the truck then the boat bounced off the bed/taillight of my truck and proceed down the hill and into the telephone pole

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You are looking at a LOT of work there. If you absolutely love the boat, then go for it. Just be prepared for the amount of work it will entail. On the other hand, you might be better off to take the insurance money and get into something that needs less work. JMO!

Last edited: