Installing new Ignition Components

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Installing new Ignition Components

if they are gapped to 020 and clean, the motor should run ok. to use the timing marks you either need a timing fixture and a multi meter, or just a muti meter and some small alligator clips to connect it to the points and to a good ground on the motor.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I was trying to follow his tutorial with the multimeter. Hard to do without the timing marks. Plus which, I have no idea how to use my multimeter.

nwcove

Admiral

the timing marks are there. depending on your multi meter, it should be quite simple.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question: Should the whole armature assembly be turning with the flywheel? That seems bad. Unfortunately, I've got the flywheel on there so good I'm going to have to go borrow the harmonic balancer puller again to get it back off. Grrr. I think I'm done for the day.

BTW - I looked again, all the way around the flywheel, and there are no notches, no raised markings, no engravings, nothing. Nada. No idea what to make of that.

nwcove

Admiral

lol...seems as tho yer a bit to enthusiastic!! you must have the coils mounted to far out on the bosses. have another look at the top secret file. im sure you will make this motor run top notch.....just take your time with it tho! once you see how it all works , you will be helping others here on iboats.

the timing marks should be there? hard to see....but there!

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I have another question. The core plug that came with my rebuild kit does not fit the opening on my carburetor. It is a hair too small and falls out if I turn the carburetor upside down. RadioShack does not have the silicone sealant. How do I install this thing?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Put the core plug in the hole with the dome facing up. I use a large flat punch, but you can use anything, some use a socket a little smaller than the plug, tap on the plug until flat, don't over do it and dish it in.
I don't use any sealer, some do.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, I see. I never would've figured that out. Thanks for the tip.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay...got it all back together, and I think the only leftover parts were the ridiculous number of extras from the carb kit. I think I used about 20% of what was included in the kit. I seriously wonder if it's cheaper to order the individual parts.

But I digress. I didn't try to fire it up because when I connected the fuel line, I forgot to tighten the hose clamp at the carb intake and sprayed gasoline all over everything when I pumped the bulb. So I'm going to try it in the morning. Wish me luck.

nwcove

Admiral

Okay...got it all back together, and I think the only leftover parts were the ridiculous number of extras from the carb kit. I think I used about 20% of what was included in the kit. I seriously wonder if it's cheaper to order the individual parts.

But I digress. I didn't try to fire it up because when I connected the fuel line, I forgot to tighten the hose clamp at the carb intake and sprayed gasoline all over everything when I pumped the bulb. So I'm going to try it in the morning. Wish me luck.

the extra parts are the way it is, but save them! yer so close to having it running. just a hose clamp and some needle adjustments away !!! good luck, and be patient!

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is, the motor turns over just like it did before I tore it all down and rebuilt the carb and installed new ignition components.

The bad news is, the motor still will not fire. It started for a moment, but before I could get the throttle moved to rev it up, it died and hasn't fired since. Starter motor just spins the flywheel endlessly with no indication of combustion. I have the slow-speed needle at 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated and have tried with and without choking. Fuel is fresh and bulb is firm. Plugs and wires are all new, as are coils, condensers, and points (with correct 0.020" gap).

Now what?

EDIT: I'm actually going to move this to a new thread since it's no longer about ignition system components.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The laminations on the coils have to be flush with the bosses on the mag plate. Otherwise when you pull the motor over, you will have started cord ripped out of your hand and your shoulder will hurt like hell and you will need a new coil.

Don't ask how I know this.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I actually took the flywheel back off and moved the coils "in" toward the shaft. They didn't move much, but apparently it was enough as the flywheel now spins free of the armature plate.

nwcove

Admiral

have you tried squirting a few drops of premix directly into the carb throat? that will usually steer you in the right direction. ( spark/timing or fuel delivery)

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Newbie question: Where is the "carb throat?" Is that the gigantic opening running fore-n-aft through the center of the carb (the one the choke mechanism closes off when the choke lever is pulled)? Or some other orifice?

nwcove

Admiral

yep, its the hole where the choke and the throttle plate is located. remove the air silencer, make up some kinda squirt bottle that will get premix in there without making to much mess and give it a try. it will only take about a tbsp or so.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I squirt it in there while working the starter? Or squirt it in and then try the starter?

nwcove

Admiral

squirt first, then try the starter. the motor may rev a bit, but if it does run, you can get quite good at keeping it running by adding a few more drops ( not much!) when it wants to stall. if it doesnt do anything, its time to do a check of the ignition work. ( spark test)

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I'll go give that a shot. Already done the spark test...doesn't seem to be any issues there. Good spark on both cylinders.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay...still no dice. No firing, no sputtering, nothing. I'm gonna kill the starter battery trying to get it started.