I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

Do you really want that new one? Down here in the San Francisco area there's a 2005 Glastron DX205 with only 18 hours on it for $19,500.(3.0L is my guess). There's a 2005 Glastron sx195 V8 w/ 30 hours for $18k/obo, $22k will get you an '04 Ski Centurion 21', 5.7L w/ tower, $25k will get you a 21' Malibu (a 2000, though)...

I'm just saying - boats, like cars, depreciate quickly. You can save yourself a bundle buying used, especially if there's still a factory warranty in effect. (Still always spend a few $$ to have it professionally checked out.)

Best of luck!

Dave

Last edited:

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I think you still have a lot of room to negotiate, tell them you are also shopping other brands. They need to sell boats to stay in businees, you DO NOT need to buy one.
I custom ordered a 22' Chaparral (which will be delivered in a week) with the 270 hp Volvo for only $1500 more than you are paying. Atl east make sure they include the following:

Coast Gaurd kit
Fire extinguisher and flares
Anchor with anchor line and chain
at least 4 PFDs if not 6
Extended 4 year warranty
dock lines (bow, stern and spring lines)
20 hour service should be included

There are deals to be had out there, you need to appear as if you will walk away unless you get the perfect offer.

J-dubb

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class

good boat, but with what you mentioned in the other thread, see what they will do a 4.3L for. kids growing up and skiing, tubing, you may wish you had that power. remember Bayliner, did not offer a 3.0. 205 is a big boat.

I just bought my first boat last year. It is a Tahoe Q4 19.5'. I opted for the 4.3L and I am very happy I did. I would asked what the cost would be to get the same package with a 4.3L. At least if you have 4 or 5 ppl on board plus a couple kids tubing, you will have plenty of power.
JMO though.

nwboater

Cadet

Man this stuff is just driving me crazy. Everyday seems to bring a new price or a better deal that makes me feel like this original dealer is just @#$&*!@ me.
I had another dealer offer the following:
205 GXL Fish/Ski in stock. Black, 5.0 GL volvo, E.Z. Loader T/Axle Galv Trailer. Bow & Cockpit Covers,Fishing Package, Full side glass windshield.and Swing tongue.
$ 28,962. + tax and lic which makes it about $300 less then the deal for the GT!!! The GXL is the nicest model in the Ski and Fish.
I dont know what to do now. I feel like no matter what I do I'm gonna get screwed and therefore feel like i shouldn't even buy a boat! :)
This forum is like therapy. Thanks for listening.

Tony

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tony;
With regards to the 4.3 fuel injected vs 5.0, I had a local dealer here tell me that the V6 fuel injected engine was priced higher then the 5.0 carbed V8. This was a couple of years ago, prices may have changed. You will have a harder time finding an EFI 4.3 in dealer stock than the carbed 5.0 and buying from dealer stock should give you your best deal. Good luck with your purchase. It's good to see you backed out of that first deal!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ha ......frustrating....tee hee.......your learning...!!!!!

whats black about the new deal???...remember black is hot in the summer....

really hot...step on the deck and.......yeeouch....

have you checked into the 4.3 efi vs the 5.0?

but see......keep atter......your doin good

cheers
oops

Mayamaya3

Cadet

Hi Guys,

First I would like to say that I have a GX 185 with the 4.3 carb and it does the job but there isn't much left....Go with the 5.0L

Now I need some advice....I am buying a new Sea Ray 2008 205 with the 5.0L carb and the price is $31,600....Should this be considered a good price?

Thanks....

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NWboater, not to make this even more complicated, but as someone pointed out GOOD used boats are a far better "deal" than new. Unlike cars, people find out boating isn;t for them and they sell their boat at a very reasonable price. A 4 year old boat is barely used in many cases. Again, unlike cars, boats aren't normally used every day.

I'd be willing to bet you can find a very similar boat in nearly new condition, but maybe a 2004 model, for 35-40% less or so. With a used boat at a deal you don;t have to worry all the time that you paid way too much. Boats last for decades if cared for properly, so you can get nearly as many good years from a 4 year old boat as from a new one. Also, you can get the better power package within your budget.

Sorry to add extra things to consider! However many here, me included, would NEVER buy a new boat at retail pricing with so many great used boats available.

here's just a quick example I searched for.

http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=75292

I bet they got maybe $21-22k for that one. Mint condition according to the ad. That's a 270 hp power plant also.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

here's just a quick example I searched for.

http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=75292

I bet they got maybe $21-22k for that one. Mint condition according to the ad. That's a 270 hp power plant also.

Did you look closely at that link? "Includes new ski tube with ropes". Can you imagine tubing in Alaska?!!? Brrr! No wonder it's such a good deal!

Dave

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

NWboater - look on the bright side, the more you have looked around and done reasearch the more boat you have found for the same price. Keep doing your research and make sure if you are ordeing a new boat, you get all the options and engine you want. The dealers are hurting dueto the economy, they need to sell boats. Keep up with your homeowrk and I think you can save a little more

mayamaya3 - I don't want to hijack NW's thread, but without some other info regrading the boat options, it is hard to tell if that price is good. If the Sea Ray is loaded, the price may be decent. My boat cam with the 5.0 carb engine option, but I upgraded to the 5.0 MPI engine for more HP and resale value and I only paid slightly more than you listed.

J-dubb

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice

Wow - a boat in Alaska. I wonder how long the boating season is up there. :p

I've done some research locally here and found that it's REALLY REALLY hard to compare the website "real deal" price to what the dealer offer is.
The cost of the boat in the dealer offer seems to be obfuscated with options, PDI, freight, etc.

Hope you find a good deal. I hope I find me one too. :)

nwboater

Cadet

Ok guys here is the final chapter in this long thread! Although intially I had planned to buy the GT I ended up buying a GXL. What a beautiful boat. It was in stock and I know I got a really good deal. I compared quotes all over the state for what I wanted and this dealer came in the lowest by far. I know some people will give me crap for buying new but I like knowing where the boat has been and that it is under warranty for 6 years among other things.

Thanks SO MUCH for everyones help. Here are the numbers:

2008 205 GXL Fish/Ski in stock.

UPGRADES:
5.0 GL Volvo Penta (220 hp)
Volvo 2 + 4 = 6 Year Warranty on the motor and outdrive
E.Z. Loader T/Axle Galv Trailerand Swing tongue
Extended swim platform
Fishing Package: trolling motor & fish finder
Full side glass windshield
Bimini top & boot
Bow cover
Cockpit cover

$ 30,662. + tax and lic

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sounds REALLY nice!! Congrats!!
Hey,show us some pictures when you get it home...;)

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nice boat!!! Can't give you grief on new. Even though I'd never do it I understand why many do. Heck, the piece of mind is worth a lot. We went to the local boat show last weekend and the Glastrons were looking real good!

Hey, we cheapo used buyers need to buy from SOMEONE who bought new. Thanks for getting another one "in the pipeline"!

MikDee

Banned

You got one Honey of a boat there now! I bet you could load that boat up with 6 people, & gear, a full tank of gas, and still pull skiers, or tubers, with ease, (once it's broken in) and still be easy on gas! Please, Break it in gently, and keep it maintained. Good Luck, Mike

magster65

Commander

Gotta' love a happy ending :)
Neat thread; good question + good advice + good information + good judgement = Beautiful, nicely equipped boat and a happy owner. Well done!