60 HP Johnson Outboard

Captain LMC

Cadet
I have a 60 HP Johnson Outboard in-line three cylinder. I cannot find serial numbers or anykind of way to tell what year it is. The compression is at 115 and lower for every cylinder. When i start it up, it runs fine. when i put it into gear, it runs fine. as soon as i give it a little gas in gear, it bogs down until it stalls, or until i take it out of gear. at that point, it keep wanting to stall until it finally does. Please Help!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60 HP Johnson Outboard

It could be fairly old or quite new. The 3 cylinder 60 hp motors in 1970 and 71 had 2 plates on the exhaust side requiring 2 gaskets and were hydro-electric shift (2 wires going to the lower unit). <br /><br />The 49 cid 3 cylinder motors have 3 exhaust plates and gaskets and are mechanical shift. The 56 cid 3 cylinder models (86 and up) have only one side plate and gasket and are mechanical shift also.<br /><br />Sounds like its time for a carb cleaning party. When you say the compression is 115 and lower -- what does that mean? How much lower?<br /><br />The model number is what you need, not rhe serial number.<br /><br />Good luck!

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 60hp is a 71 hydro-elec-shift.My model number is 60ESL-71C. The ID plate is located as you are looking towards the motor from the rear on the transom bracket on your left just below the powerhead unit. My engine seemed to stall once I put it in gear to increase the throttle a little. I have since dismantled the carbs and gave everything a good scrubbin' and have yet to restart it. I have been too busy and it has been to cold. Let us know what you find out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Captain.<br /><br />It does seem like a fuel starvation problem, but it seems unlikely that three carbs would all gunk up at the same time.<br /><br />I question the fuel pump's ability to supply enough fuel when you load her. That could be a restriction or air leak somewhere in your fuel supply lines/tank, or it could be a failing fuel pump.<br /><br />Check that out before you start tearing your carbs down.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Captain LMC

Cadet

I just had my carbs rebuilt. I took it to a repair shop and they told me the motor was shot. The fuel line has some small kinks in it, but i dont know of thats the cause. The mecanic also said that the compression in each cylinder should be at least 150, and none are higher than 115. The other two cylinders are 90 & 85

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know if the compression was ever supposed to be 150, maybe 130, but 115 isn't that bad. As for the other 2, well it sounds like you have a problem. You could do a decarb and see if anything gets better but you most likely have cylinder and/or ring damage and will have to do some work to this motor. They are relatively simple so you may be able to handle it on your own. The kinks in the fuel line are exactly what JB was talking about, kinks are bad, you need to replace that fuel line. If it runs better under load after that than that's good but you will deffinetely have to address that compression problem. Good luck.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Cap....did ya' look and see if the large round core plug was still on the block? The model and serial number will be there if the plug is still there.