I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I bought a Glastron 205GT SF, did I get a good deal?

OK Tony, I found the difference.

There is a difference in how the online "Real Deal" pricing is done in Canada vs the US.

Although the boat base prices and options are exactly the same price, for whatever reason, on the US site, the trailer is included in the base price, whereas on the Canada site, you cannot even select a trailer and they mention that it is NOT included in the price.

That accounts for the difference in the prices.

Though, it does beg the question, I wonder why that the trailer is not offered as an option on the Canadian site, since we are getting US prices lately due to the dollar parity.

That being said, it's encouraging to know that the dealer is still coming in less than the "Real Deal" pricing on the web.
Can't wait until our local boat show to see what they do here.....

That Gt-205 really seems like it's fantastic value for the boat.

Shawn

John_S

Rear Admiral

Another vote for 4.3L or larger. A 20 ft boat, plus fishing pkg, ( trolling motor?, battery?, live-well? ), is going to have some planning challenges with a full person load. Surprised they even offer a 3.0L in a 20' boat.

nwboater

Cadet

How much extra for a galvanized trailer. Might be better if you are ever putting it in salt.

It's an extra $960 for the galvanized trailer. I'd love to have it but I have a limited budget so I'd probably be better off putting that into the bigger engine and washing down the trailer after salt water trips?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

See if you can pare down the options and price them seperately from places like iboats, etc. I think you will find that you can save some big $ by buying them outside of your boat deal and adding them yourself after you buy the boat. Manufacturers and dealers often make their "profit" with options marking them up over 100%.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

And - I would get some prices from trailer manufacturers and think about putting it outside of the boat deal.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Just chiming in quickly to second (third, fourth, fifth? :D) the opinion that the 3.0 isn't big enough. I had a 3.0 in my SeaRay 170 (which was actually about 16.5 feet long). It was a great motor for that smallish boat but I certainly would not want to have pushed any more weight around with that amount of power. V6 at the very least for yours I'd say and you would probably be happiest with a 5.0.

With all signs pointing to the economy hitting the dumper, toys will be the first thing people stop buying. You could maybe beat them down some more I'd think on the price of the big motor.

BobS14127

Cadet

nwboater,

My buying experience with dealers and research has shown to me that a 20% to 25% markup on new boats is involved.

I know that others will disagree. But discounts I've seen and offers I've been made seem to indicate that there room to bargain in a tactful manner, (no offense intended.) :)

Based on your numbers and the availability of boats, make an offer.

Just remember that you want a dealer who will be around to support your needs for service/warranty work etc.

Just my .02 cents and your mileage may vary: ;)

Bob

MikDee

Banned

nwboater, Wait, After I rethunk (like that word :D) your situation, & seeing how you want to put 6-8 people on this boat, & ski, or tube with it, I would even recommend the 5.0V8 motor, over the 4.3V6, because it has smaller pistons then the 4.3, but 8 of them, instead of 6, with the same stroke, I think you'll find this motor to be a bit more powerful with good economy! It is a Chevy 305cu in V8, I've had a few of these in my vehicles, and found this to be true. It's basically a 350 Chevy motor with smaller pistons. I'd recommend the 350 (5.7) motor, but it would use a bit more gas, for only a marginal increase in power.

I had an old 79' SeaRay 20' Bowrider with an early 4bbl carb 228hp/305cu. in. V8, that could regularly do 48mph, and still be thrifty on fuel!
I never would have gotten rid of it, but I wanted a Cuddy cabin, & found a good deal on a 24' SeaRay Cuddy with a 260hp/350cu. in. V8 at the time.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

NW:

You should have gotten a real sweet deal on a boat at the show. In any case, go for the biggest engine you can in that boat. Its better to spend it now then find out later you dont have enough juice, cause u cant just go get a bigger engine. call around to other dealers in the state. I am sure you can get the price knocked down. If you do it this week, you maybe able to get boatshow pricing still.. I just bought a boat from the show and saved a lot of money by haggeling with different dealers.. Cabelas in Lacey has some sweet boats and good prices. Check them out. Its a bit of a drive but might be worth it..

Whatever you do, dont be in a rush! Being a new boat owner there is a lot to learn. When you talk about taking the boat out in the sound, how far are u talking about?? A bow rider would not be really great at taking out there unless it was a perfect day.

I know you supposedly will get the best deal from the show, but I dont really believe that. Take that price you got and call another dealer and ask them if they can beat it.. Nothing gained nothing lost...If you want PM me and I have a friend that works for Checkerd flag marine in MT Vernon, They sell glastrons...

Alsso if the dealer is worth its salt, he will
1. let you buy the bought subject to a sea trial.
2. Only take a deposit for the boat until delivery..

If they dont do any of the above... walk away....

Ooh yeah stay away from OLYMPIC..

nwboater

Cadet

Again thanks to everyone for the valuable input. It's clear now that the 3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp) is completely in appropriate for this size of a boat. To be honest i'm pretty annoyed that this dealer would try and sell me this engine without making it as clear as everyone has done here that I would truly regret it. I need to get the 4.3 GL Volvo Penta (190 hp) at least, maybe the 5.0
I took some advice and have sent out the specs on the Glastron I want to 5 dealers in my area. I'll see what they have to offer and get back to everyone.

Thanks as always!

Tony

MikDee

Banned

Good Move Tony, You won't be sorry! ;) These salesmen are the same as car salesmen, they'd rather you take a car off the lot, or out of the showroom, to reduce inventory, & make a quick sale, then go thru the trouble of ordering a vehicle equipped exactly as you want it. Plus, they give you a lowball figure because they know if you don't buy it, they're stuck with it till the next unwary customer comes in.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good for you Tony! I would let each dealer know you are checking at several different dealerships.Let them compete to give you the lowest price.
I'm glad you had not already signed the paperwork on the 3.0 powered boat.
The 4.3 is a darn good engine and still pretty good on fuel.;)
My old 19ft Starcraft fiberglass boat with the 4.3 would yank people up on skis very well even with 4 or 5 people in the boat.It was a heavy boat compared to these newer ones.

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Tony, keep me posted on the "updated" deal you get with the bigger powerplant.

I'll be travelling the same road with virtually the same boat in a couple weeks.

I'm interested to see if you get a cut on the bigger engine from the smaller one, ratio-metrically speaking.

Shawn

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Good decision, in fact, why not wait till you can sea trial the boat with the 4.3, to see if even that is powerful enough for your needs, that's really the only way to know. I do like the 4.3 in my 88 FW, it's plenty fast, but economical and easy to work on, if the engine compartment is a little on the short side since it's 2 cylinders shorter than the V-8. Mine has the 4 bbl Quadrajet and is rated at 205 hp, if you are thinking 4.3 go for the higher output version of either Merc or Volvo. If you think the 4.3 isn't fast enough, I would see if they can cut a deal on the V-8. The perception of power is very subjective.

MikDee

Banned

Again thanks to everyone for the valuable input. It's clear now that the 3.0 GL Volvo Penta (135 hp) is completely in appropriate for this size of a boat. To be honest i'm pretty annoyed that this dealer would try and sell me this engine without making it as clear as everyone has done here that I would truly regret it. I need to get the 4.3 GL Volvo Penta (190 hp) at least, maybe the 5.0
I took some advice and have sent out the specs on the Glastron I want to 5 dealers in my area. I'll see what they have to offer and get back to everyone.

Thanks as always!

Tony

Tony, you may think I'm a pest right now, but I HIGHLY recommend the 5.0 over the 4.3 in your 20' boat, IMO the 4.3 is good for boats up to about 20' but, you're on the edge of it's power, especially if it's a heavy boat, or heavy load. You will appreciate the reserve power of the V8, at close to the same fuel consumption, while taxing your engine less. You'll actually be able to throttle back some, over what the 4.3 would be doing. I think you 'll have the best of both worlds here. The 5.7 is overkill, unless you're a speed freak, and it would use more gas.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man, I haven't been on here all winter - I sure miss the great info....

Anyways, you need to be a bit upset with the dealer who tried to con you into a way underpowered setup. While it IS true that the Glastron design does plane a bit easier than most (cockpit moved forward a bit, etc.) that doesn't make it any less a pig when you load it up with people, gear, GAS, etc. You'd have been dropping all but two riders off at the dock whenever you wanted to do water sport or whatever! Even then is would be a pig.

He KNOWS no experienced boater would buy that combo and he tried to "stick it" to you. I would eliminate him from competing for your business. You did the smart thing getting unbiased advice here, btw.

Anyways, I'm in the camp that says you're in between the 4.3 and the 5.0 for your purposes. Yes, this adds cost - maybe that makes the Glastron not the deal you thought it was, i don't know. But is is what it is so use a REAL configuration when comparing value for price.

Good luck.

nwboater

Cadet

UPDATE:

Ok guys here is the latest for those that are interested. I decided to move up to the Volvo 5.0. After hearing everyones comments here I decided to bite the bullet and spend some more money to have that power.

I also took everyones advice about getting competing offers from other dealers in my state. I ended up finding the exact boat I wanted IN stock at a dealer on the other side of my state. I sent that invoice to the guy Ive been working with and he said he could match it. Here is the offer:

2008 Glastron GT 205 SF

Optional Features:
5.0 GL Volvo Penta (220 hp)
Flip-up bucket seat (1)
XL Package
Color-coordinated Sunbrella Bimini top w/boot
Color-coordinated Sunbrella bow cover
Color-coordinated Sunbrella cockpit cover
Single Axle Upgrade Package for GM 3500S
Trailer spare tire
$31,500

That number includes all tax, license, freight.. everything. I will walk out the door with that boat for that number. I think its a pretty good deal. I hope you guys agree. I havent signed the order yet.. probably will in the next day or so but please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tony

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I'm no expert on the deal you got, but I think you'll really enjoy that boat setup! You will pay a lot more for the 5.0 vs. the 3.0 but as you now know it's well worth it.

I was impressed with the Glastron bowriders at last year's shows. I'm not in the market but if I was they'd be on my list.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Tony:

one thing to think of... You may not want to get a boat that is instock right now. You cant use it so why buy it and have it sit in your yard and make payments for a couple of months that is is just sitting. Also. Go by these boat dealers. A lot of them have brand new boats sitting outside uncovered and collecting dirt rain and MOLD up here.. For what ever reason they dont put covers on them.. Go Figure.. I look at it as buying a used boat partially when u buy something like that.. If you order it, it comes brand spanking new from the factory in shrink wrap, just in time for boating season..

Shawn_floats

Seaman Apprentice

Tony - just to confirm - you did not get the wakeboard tower in that package price?

Another question - There is a fuel injected 4.3L volvo rated at 225HP vs the 5.0 L rated at 220HP.

I'm thinking that the 4.3L injected version might be the sweet spot for power and fuel economy?