How's your boating season so far ?

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just realized that we went boating only twice so far .

The main reason is the bad weather . I'ts not just the rain , the gusty winds on a suny day keeps us at dock also .

Hopefully this will change when I'll be on vacation in 3 weeks....for a full month he he

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: How's your boating season so far ?

Only one time out so far. Boat is trailered on the driveway. Not putting it in dock due to many, many business trips so far this season. Leave for the cottage a week on Saturday so not worth docking it between now and then. Hopefully dock it after vacation and be able to go out a lot more then (weather permitting) we have had plenty of good boating days but I am usually out of the country when we have them so far.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boats at the cottage and all it does is flipping rain. I'm still on the first tank of gas. Last weekend we even lit a fire it was so cold and damp.....ugh

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

At Georgian Bay last week. Used it every day and many times a day. Weather was so so at the end of the week but the boat was hardly at the dock. Going away this weekend as well with some friends of ours. Hopefully 3 days of boating.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...wind , rain , more wind and more rain .

scipper77

Commander

I love to boat, but my life is stacked against me right now. I work days, the wife works nights and we have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. By the time she gets a day off on the weekend we have so much else to catch up on there is no time to boat. Before kids I could go out all day on the weekends while she slept. Now I just chase the kids around all day. I can not wait until my boys are a little older so we can go out when my wife is sleeping.

I have been out I think 3 times this season and 2 of those trips only lasted an hour. Plus one other trip on my buddies boat.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to put 20+hours on it so far. I'm not letting the weather bring me down. Last Sunday we went to brunch in Pointe-fortune. 2.5 hour one way with one dam. Got rain twice for 5 minutes each. I had company and my cousin came with his boat. We had a blast.

My Vacation starts tomorrow. I have a boat trip planned to Montreal next week. A full day ride to get there. I think I'm going even if it's rains. Nothing's bringing my spirit down!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I love to boat, but my life is stacked against me right now. I work days, the wife works nights and we have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. By the time she gets a day off on the weekend we have so much else to catch up on there is no time to boat. Before kids I could go out all day on the weekends while she slept. Now I just chase the kids around all day. I can not wait until my boys are a little older so we can go out when my wife is sleeping.
I have been out I think 3 times this season and 2 of those trips only lasted an hour. Plus one other trip on my buddies boat.

Well it's family first !!! Us older guys have all been through it. Look forward to some great times boating when they get a little older. Times and memories that will last forever.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My season sucks so far! Not able to get out much yet. Latest trip was on brother-in-law's boat.

- Night before, found it out of gas (bone dry) and in bad need of a wash.
- Day of, topped of fuel from 5 gals. night before.
- Within a mile of ramp, blew out trailer tire. Both were balled.
- Over $200 dollars and 2 hours later, got new tires on trailer.
- Lug nuts were almost seized and had to borrow lug wrench from guy that stopped to help.
- Out on the bay, it was very choppy with threatening storm, but made it to scalloping area.
- Had to get wasp nest out of anchor well before putting out anchor. Used spray-on sunblock to immobilize wasp then one at a time threw them overboard with pliers.
- Donned snorkel gear, but had to quit snorkeling before first clam because diver down flag blew off make-shift pole.
- Trolled on way back to canal as consolation, and took a rogue wave over bow flooding everything everything in the boat.
- anchored in canal and caught one sheepshead all day.
- left around 3 pm for their house to get in swimming pool and drink our misfortune away.

Don't believe it when you hear the "worst day fishing beats the best day at work.:mad:"

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had a good time so far, except for all those stupid stumps in 15 feet of water! (New boat on a new lake)

Do Merc outboards have a stump magnet attached at the factory?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Had a good time so far, except for all those stupid stumps in 15 feet of water! (New boat on a new lake)

Do Merc outboards have a stump magnet attached at the factory?

Only the black ones !!!!

MikDee

Banned

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!, Haven't been out yet :rolleyes: The boat, & jetski, just sit there, I've never seen so much rainy, or cold weather, this season in my life :mad: When the weather breaks on occasion, it's always a stop, & fix issue with the house, or vehicles, taking precedence over boating! :(
Even if I could get away with the jetski because it's less hassle then the boat, I'd need a wet suit to ride it, being so cold :rolleyes: Talk about a miserable, depressing season.

skargo

Banned

Awesome season so far, been out 16 times already, and will go out today for a bit. Hopefully Sunday is nice weather, if so we'll be out all day.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome season so far, been out 16 times already, and will go out today for a bit. Hopefully Sunday is nice weather, if so we'll be out all day.
I'm with you Skargo, it's been pretty good so far; especially after I got a new $700.00 fuel cell from Volvo Penta for my engine:mad: - oh and they there was the whole new anchor rode that I had to get after my (1st mate) paid it all out and I mean all. You take the good with the bad. Anyway I've been catching good weather and getting out when ever I find time, any more I think that the only way I'm going to get out on a regular basis; besides what?s wrong with throwing the lines at 7:45 PM and not getting back to the dock until 12:05 on a week night:rolleyes: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

It did rain a lot this summer but I still had a blast and still am having a blast...So far 42 boat days, I think about 70 engine run hrs. Been out in the rain, wind, when its calm, when its wavy, to cross the lake get dinner, local town for dinner, down the lake south about 40 mins, up the lake north about an hr, lot of float time in the bay, wake boarding, skiing, tubing, sitting, beach...u name it. No fishing this year come to think of it. But thats ok. Lot of sun set cruises, late night cruses coming home after dark---one night when I realized it was pitch black and no moon glow...that was very scary and nervrecking. Don't think I went out much after dark for a few weeks. lol... Dont plan on pulling my boat til mid october....hope to get a few foliage runs in with my winter hat and parka! ha ha. I kept track of every fillup of fuel, hrs..etc. I have not totaled up total spent on gas, but i know it was ALOT, but still not as much as 5 per gallon last year. This year was about 3.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well ours has been better recently. A few weekends away at the cottage, ans several trips around lake St Clair. Went from here up to Lake Huron through the St Clair River not long ago. Great trip. Hoping to get out a few more times before the season has to finish due to the weather here. Then do the winterising and cover her up till spring.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

We went 7 times from when we took delivery on Aug 28th through to Oct 4th. We were lucky as we had just bought the boat and we got that long string of no rain days here around Georgian Bay so we took advantage of it.

skargo

Banned

Ours is over, made it out 21 times this summer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Our little Doral was wrapped in her winter tarp last weekend. Full of mothballs and downy sheets.