How long is it okay to run WIDE OPEN?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 Johnson 50hp 3cly 2stroke that i have owned for a couple years and am very happy with it. I have only had it for a little over a year but have used it quite a bit and can say that so far the the thing runs like a watch at all speeds. IN THEORY, in a perfect world and all things considered (proper lubrication, proper fuel, propped correctly, proper cooling, etc) how long could/should someone run their outboard wide open? Since i have had it i have probably only ran it full tilt for MAYBE 10mins or less but know there has got to be people out there that have done it for MUCH longer than that. Whats your thoughts?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: How long is it okay to run WIDE OPEN?

As long as it is propped correctly so that it doesn't over rev, you can run it all day long at WOT.

jbjennings

Captain

As long as it is propped correctly so that it doesn't over rev, you can run it all day long at WOT.

Ditto.
Pretty much all of my motors spend most of their time running WOT. They're made for it.
JBJ

mark1961

Ensign

As long as your finances can afford to keep paying for the fuel you will be going through.....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Concur, no worries, as long as it has gas it can run WOT given it is in good repair and everything is working like it should.

As jb said they are literally built to do that, I think the longest sustained WOT run I have made with my boat is about 35 minutes but I run a river that is 17 miles between dams.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, One Sunday AM I ran my Merc 1500 on the Hudson River at WOT (~60 MPH) for 6 gal of fuel (25 min). After I switched tanks, I found a place for breakfast and then the boat traffic started.

Haffiman

Commander

3 cyl 2-stroke??
The 50 hp 3 cyl were to my knowledge 4 strokes st that time?
If a 2-stroke, you may run at full speed until the fuel runs out!
If a 4-stroke, I would not be that rough, but ease up 5%++ of the max rpm.

mark1961

Ensign

Nope, unless you had a different model there.....all two strokes.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 cyl 2-stroke??
The 50 hp 3 cyl were to my knowledge 4 strokes st that time?
If a 2-stroke, you may run at full speed until the fuel runs out!
If a 4-stroke, I would not be that rough, but ease up 5%++ of the max rpm.

Definetely a 1996 definetely a 50hp definetely a 3cly definetely a 2 stroke. Engine model # J50TTLEDC

Haffiman

Commander

That is a rather 'limited' version originally made for the Italian market due to some funny local tax rules. The same reason the 35 3-cyl was made and sold as a 25 engine. Before that they even had a 20 version of the old 50 2-cyl.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a rather 'limited' version originally made for the Italian market due to some funny local tax rules. The same reason the 35 3-cyl was made and sold as a 25 engine. Before that they even had a 20 version of the old 50 2-cyl.

Very Interesting! What does the Italian mrkt and tax rules have to do with outboards? So far the only part I have had to buy for it is a coil...and that was just so I could have an extra. However it does seem like many parts are readily available for it. What else do you know about that motor? I don't see it on many lists of Johnson outboards. Most of them seem to be the 50hp 2cyl...which that one seems to share the same power head with the 40hp 48hp and 50hp. I THINK the one I have (50hp 3cyl) may be the same powerhead as the 60hp??? I do know that for a 50hp it seems to run very hard....well for a 50hp that is. :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The 50 hp you have is a detuned 60-70 hp. OMC built those in those yrs for market reasons. The difference being, intake manifold and carbs. And yes, you can run it at WOT all day if you want.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 50 hp you have is a detuned 60-70 hp. OMC built those in those yrs for market reasons. The difference being, intake manifold and carbs. And yes, you can run it at WOT all day if you want.

Not a chance that I will even try it but does that mean a could find an intake and carb set from a 1996 70hp and have a motor thats badged as a 50 and be running with 70ponies!?!

Btw...I think that would be sweet on my fishing boat!...safe?...not so much be sweet nonetheless!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Leave that mtr the way it is as it was very relibable. If you want to go faster, get a 100 hp or better. You won't gain much with the extra 20 hp for the cost of doing it.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ditto.
Pretty much all of my motors spend most of their time running WOT. They're made for it.
JBJ

with the newer direct injected evinrudes and the possibility to read out the times vs load conditions i was impressed how little % or running time is WOT, even when you believe to run your engine hard all day long.

jbjennings

Captain

Not a chance that I will even try it but does that mean a could find an intake and carb set from a 1996 70hp and have a motor thats badged as a 50 and be running with 70ponies!?!

Btw...I think that would be sweet on my fishing boat!...safe?...not so much be sweet nonetheless!

You could probably just dremel out the holes in the intake you already have to match the diameter of the carb throat, and get the 70hp carbs and have a 70. You already have a 50 that probably has the low-end torque of the 70. Getting the 70 carbs. probably wouldn't get you but about 2 or 3 mph more on top end. I don't think it would be worth it, but it would be fun to have a 70hp 50. :)
JBJ

Haffiman

Commander

Need to change the head as well as carbs and modify/change intake to get the 70. Will make a total different engine as you may take advantage of the high rev of the 70. You may however loose some of the bottom torque that you have as a 50 mod, but not much. Just change carbs( to 60) and intake will not give much of difference.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

WOT, and trolling................ are there any other speeds? :D

as long as you have fuel ( and oil), drive it like you stole it :cool: