changing bottom of leg from short shaft to long shaft

jake30

Cadet
hello,im changing the bottom portrion of the leg (on a 35 hp johnson 1979 sea horse)the used part I have is from a short shaft the runnig motor I have is a long shaft.The impeller shaft was easy but the shifting rod goes down in behind the prop so,I have the prop off and I see 2 small bolts deep behind thethe bracket that the prop rides against.how do I get in there to realese the shifting rod?anyone know? any help would be great thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: changing bottom of leg from short shaft to long shaft

shift rod should screw in, no need to go there, unscrew the long and install new one. with seals.

jake30

Cadet

ok il give it a shot thanks

jake30

Cadet

thanks everything seemed to go into place well,but when I try the gears the I only have reverse?they did work before I changed the impeller so obviously it was somthing I did,the shifter rod that conects behind the 1 inch by 3 inch plate went to gether smoothly the bolt went through the noch as I was told.
have you had this happen before?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the lower, and try shifting lower with it off. if it works shift rod length is wrong. i have search for proper length, but have not found it. you may have to screw it in farther, or out. i don't know.

jake30

Cadet

alright thanks

jake30

Cadet

well I have yet another question for you sir,I have droped the bottom portion off again (to try and solve my shifting problem on the 1979 35hp johnson and even when I pull the shifting rod up and down and I spin the crang rod I canot seem to get the prop to spin is this right? I asumed that the main shaft that goes into the motor should spin the prop?I am not able to get the prop or the main shaft to spin no mater were the shifting rod is positioned any idea?:confused:

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

try turning shaft by hand while attempting to change gears...?

jake30

Cadet

thanks but no luck when I droped the bottom of leg again and put shaft in leg to motor I cant get neutral always turns shaft no mater what gear its in,also when shaft is in bottom of leg (throgh the impeller housing it does not turn prop no mater where I place shifting rod?:(

jake30

Cadet
what did I do now?had spark now no spark?

what did I do now?had spark now no spark?

ok soI have a 79 35hp johnson and I was pull starting it and had it runing but a bad impeller and a bad gear box,fixed both so I put a starter on it to save my arm out at sea and now for some reason I have no spark at either coil? any ideas?:confused: