Here we go...33' Chris Craft Catalina Coho sedan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Here we go...33' Chris Craft Catalina Coho sedan!

Great thread. I'll be following it for sure. Also, you got a mint deal on this classic boat. Just a mention about the PT plywood. Now I'm not a marine engineer by any means, but I am a construction engineer and I know the use of PT wood anywhere indoors is illegal. It off gasses arsenic among other undesirable poisons. Best to stick with a good marine grade with mahogany core layers.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best of Luck with completing this one. I'll be looking for the splash !

Last edited:

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I haven't given up or anything :D its been a while since I've posted but I've been working on it most weekends. Been doing a lot of small things a few hours at a time. Most recently I've been working in the salon getting the galley cabinets out so I can replace the sole and check out the side deck supports. Will keep posting back though.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I've figured out that the sole being wet and rotting has caused the galley cabinets, head, lower helm, and cabinets on the starboard side to slant outwards from the center.

The following is a pic of another Coho used to illustrate what's going down...

35-loa-chris-craft-coho-sedan_4469036.jpg

The plywood behind the dinette on the port and behidn the microwave on the starboard serve some structural purpose and help to hold up the side decks. I've removed the galley cabinetry to get a better look and so replace the sole, side deck supports, and other stuff. The sagging of the sole has caused this wood to sag, taking the side deck on the exterior and the cabinets with it. it only sits on the sole...no brackets, screws, or what I would expect to see there, tabbing to the hull. Has anyone dealt with this? My instinct would be to replace the sole, jack it back up, and tab it with a fillet and glass to the hull but I'm uncertain if it isn't for a reason.

The cabinet structure and flybridge seem to be mostly supported by the planks running below the windows and behind the curtain rods in the pic above.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

404854_10150617909672908_776442907_9078434_1381651442_n.jpg

431634_10150617909982908_776442907_9078439_59450616_n.jpg

Still slowly proceeding on getting the old wood out. When enough boats come out of the barn for the season I'll have it moved inside. I'm tired of trying to keep a tarp on it and exterior work will be a lot better not having to be outside.

Thank goodness for no wooden stringers! You guys need to find more classic Chris Crafts to restore I wish I knew before I got into my Bayliner long, long ago

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

keep at it....it may be slow going until you get it indoors.

dans67

Recruit

Lets see some updates!! I know it's boating season, but certainly you've done something to this beauty lately.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

40year old electrical makes me nervous.Just because you never know the condition of it in certain places.

My 40 year old home service was a disaster, recalled, and had burned several hundred houses before I knew it was not safe. My electrician said most people don't know they have a problem till the house burns.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Had a lot of family events to go to plus its been crazy hot this summer, but I've still been poking away at the Coho. At the moment I've got the interior all but gutted and have saved the wood to serve as templates. Flybridge is about to come off for wood replacement.

Dismantling the interior has taken a while since I've avoiding using a sawzall. Chris Craft used tons of silicon bronze screws that are either filled over or painted over and the heads need to be clean or you'll very quickly strip them out. Lots of wood glue too

dans67

Recruit

Sounds a bit tedious. I can imagine lots of pictures, notes, and measurements, then swearing, then maybe a few pieces come off for later use?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Sounds a bit tedious. I can imagine lots of pictures, notes, and measurements, then swearing, then maybe a few pieces come off for later use?

that's quite accurate

F14CRAZY

Ensign

406324_10151069298242908_1865445949_n.jpg

for the most part, gutted

246728_10151171057622908_749679300_n.jpg

Flybridge removed and now inside for at least the winter

391764_10151183699247908_790094501_n.jpg

Bad flybridge decking removed. The mahogany beams underneath are still good. I intend to replace with douglas fir marine ply (3/4''), glass, and probably apply DIY truck bed liner

The teardown continues. I'll update here when I can. My project and I were featured on Chris Craft Commander.com last week

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the feature

Any chance durabak or gelcoat will work where ever you're applying the bedliner?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i just want your shop to put my boat in :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Congrats on the feature

Any chance durabak or gelcoat will work where ever you're applying the bedliner?

What do you mean exactly?

i just want your shop to put my boat in :D

I wish it was mine but it's indoor space I rent from the marina. You can have a spot too at $2.90/square foot (length x beam)

jbcurt00

Staff member

What do you mean exactly?

Congrats on being the feature @ChrisCraftCommander.com, I surfed the site.

Or

I was asking if 'normal' boat stuff (durabak or gelcoat) might work where you said you were considering using the DIY truck bed liner. It was on a tinny, but I have some recent experience dealing w/ truck bed liner on a boat. Your application &/or part of the boat you're putting it on will be different, but I was just checking.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I've thought about gelcoating it but I see adding texturing to the gelcoat as a big challenge (maybe it isn't that bad...haven't tried it before). And I personally prefer the benefits of epoxy over poly resins

Durabak is under consideration, or Herculiner (I used to own a couple Ford Explorers...)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Durabak is available w/ or w/out anti-slip additive, but I don't know enough about it's chemical makeup to say if it's more like epoxy or not.

If you haven't read thru Sleeper-6's thread, he did some incredible work w/ the durabak coatings. I personally have his thread bookmarked as Anti-slip coating run-amok :cool:

Of course, bedliner may serve your purpose too :)

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I do like the textured feel and look of stuff like Durabak. There's plenty of time to come up with that stuff though

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

is it just me, or does it actually look better without the flybridge??
that would be a nice large sundeck for some eye candy

Status
Not open for further replies.