Here we go...33' Chris Craft Catalina Coho sedan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Here we go...33' Chris Craft Catalina Coho sedan!

They have a ton of those boats up in my neck of the woods.Ive been making myself stay away for now but I think they would be a great project.So Im excited to see what you end up doing with this.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Yep I will give you your money back. I like it a lot. For some reason it seems to look better in these pics than the first ones. Got my fingers crossed on that milkshake engine for you. Have you checked on insurance for it yet? I was looking at a few houseboats and cant seem to find insurance for a lot of older houseboats. Just a thought.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

They have a ton of those boats up in my neck of the woods.Ive been making myself stay away for now but I think they would be a great project.So Im excited to see what you end up doing with this.

They don't look as cool (to me) as the other classic CC's do but nothing's wrong with the sedan-flybridge look. Tons of Carvers like that

Yep I will give you your money back. I like it a lot. For some reason it seems to look better in these pics than the first ones. Got my fingers crossed on that milkshake engine for you. Have you checked on insurance for it yet? I was looking at a few houseboats and cant seem to find insurance for a lot of older houseboats. Just a thought.

heh thanks I'm hoping it'll be repairable and that there's no damage to the internals. I called my State Farm agent that I insure my Capri with and he said it wouldn't be a problem and that a survey wasn't necessary either

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

That will be a fun boat project and then fun to use when finished. One thing I would do is replace the electrical. Those boxes are residential, not made for the marine environment.

Here is our CC electrical panel. One side is 12v and the other is 120v and is selectable between, Shore, invertor and genset.

Electrical-CC.jpg

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I will be watching this thread!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Do I really have to replace the electrical panel despite it being for household use? I mean it was approved when it was built and assuming that it still works, has been in service for 40 years...

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

My 115VAC is also all residential stuff. I only use it with shore power though, as I don't have a generator. I don't see anything wrong with it.

That's going to be a real nice boat, by the way.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I stopped by the boat for a few minutes after paying my storage deposit (nice having a marina with reasonable payment terms).

The canvas cover that came with it is intact and I was going to put it on but the 25-35 mph winds would have blown me off of the flybridge :D I do need to get it covered since the flybridge deck is leaking quite a bit into the cabin. I'll try to get to this and winterizing the engines soon. And getting the milkshake out of the one crankcase.

Still seems odd to me that there's so much wood in the superstructure when CC was building other boats with fiberglass cabins with wooden, steel, and glass hulls. It'll be a lot of work but what boat isn't...

Can I replace dimensional lumber with epoxy laminated strips of PT plywood?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I got thinking...my rear bulkhead/wall is good above deck but rotten down below. Can I remove it, cut off the bottom "half", cut a new bottom half, then scarf and glass them together below the deck? I figure if there's a 45 degree scarf between the two, bonding with epoxy, and a couple layers of glass over the joint (and maybe those little metal pieces they use when putting plywood down on roofs that hold them in place) should make it as strong as it would be if one piece, or pretty close. The bulkhead is nice mahogany or something like that which I plan on sanding and re-varnishing and I want to use pressure treated down below. I'll be glassing it to the hull

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love your boat and wish I could give you solid advice, but alas I cannot. Hopefully a +1 post count and this bump will help to bring in some experts.
I do know that the $1.6 Million chapel addition to the church I work for has all laminated and veneered structural wooden beams, so if it's done right it can be very strong.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good to see another bigger boat on here. As far as scarfing in bulkheads, I don't see a problem with it. I ended up just gutting mine and starting over. Good luck with it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You can use epoxyied PT but make sure it's DRY DRY DRY. And I don't see any issue with your scarfing idea either.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

40year old electrical makes me nervous.Just because you never know the condition of it in certain places.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

A little progress today...was still too windy to put the canvas over it but I got my vacuum pump on the starboard engine. I had a couple quarts out but due to time restrictions I had to leave. With how slow it was going with the cold oil I decided to just leave it...by next weekend it ought to be out of there :D

As far as winterizing I'm going with the plan of opening all the petcocks, reinstalling, removing thermostat, and hooking up a funnel and running antifreeze through it...which means I'll be cranking them up for the first time. I'll do this to the "bad" starboard engine first after I put new oil in it which ought to help clean the water out of it anyway. Then after winterizing I'll open it up and see about the crack. Hope to get back to it and do all this next weekend.

My marina's about 40 minutes away...not exactly close but not toooooo far.

Sounds like my scarfing idea will work counting the upper half is still good. And I'm not against the idea of replacing the electrical panel but due to budget constraints it may have to wait. At the least I'll inspect all the wiring I can.

There's a 110V electrical outlet in the engine compartment for the water heater...aren't outlets down below frowned upon?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Not really any new progress but I've been messing with it every weekend. Canvas is covering it and I think I have it properly "peaked". Been breaking up the rotten convertible sofa in the salon and dosing it in the marina dumpster. Winterized but still tring to get number 2 started in an attempt to build oil pressure and pump out more of the milkshake in its crankcase. Discovered number 2's V drive is different than number 1's, not sure why. Some rotten cabin sole but shouldn't be a big deal (CC didn't glass over like any wood on this thing). Side deck core wood is pretty bad but is accessible from inside and I should be able to replace it fairly easily.

Ready by spring? Probably not, but you can get I'll be trying

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Dont know much about the v drive but both my Century and my Rinker had plugs for bilge heaters in the bilge. Mine were GFI. Is the compression on #2 low? I have had good luck heating a 1/2 cup of Crisco to almost a boil and pouring it down the intake to raise compression up enough to start. If the rings are stuck they might free up when run. If not your just out time and a burger. We need pics man.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I don't suspect compression to be low...starter isn't wanting to spin despite putting power directly to it and some hammer tapping. I plan to remove it tomorrow to see if I can free it up or otherwise seek a replacement

skargo

Banned

Nice score, I just picked up a Trojan F30 for $800 myself.

That flybridge on yours looks huge!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cool beans man a starter beats an engine any day. still wishing you luck.

I love the boat and thank you for keeping another classic out of the dump!!!

Are the engines or transmissions counter rotating? That could account for the difference in transmissions.

Be careful with pt ply. I have heard that over time pt will shed off any resins or paint that you put on it due to the chemicals in the wood. You may be better of with a nice finish ply and soaking it in resin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.