Trim Pump will not work /INOP

armstrongd

Cadet
My trim pump will not make any sound at all. I push all the buttons and I get nothing at all. It could be the wiring or I think it may be the silenoid. ANy tests to try.Could someone help me or possibly send a picture of the wiring so I will be able to compare.

It is an 120 Hp Mercruiser 1971.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Pump will not work /INOP

Find the wiring harness.( red/green/blue) Jump the red to the blue or green to test the motor.

armstrongd

Cadet

Thanks, sorry took so long to reply. I'm new to this site. I will try it tommorrow. Do I need to have the ignition on while I do this?

Bondo

Staff member

Do I need to have the ignition on while I do this?
Nope,... The Trim system should be wired directly to the battery....

There's Manuals available up in the Adults Only section of this forum,...
Help yourself....

armstrongd

Cadet

Ok gents, I have sound at at least. I purchased a new solenoid and looked at another boats wiring to see how mine should be. I have a start . Something is now making a running sound like small gears moving but I see nithing happening with the trim. As far as wires heres what I have according to my small knowledge of schematics.

On solenoid.
Large Bolt on Left side- wire from starter positive and red wire from back of harness plug.
Large Bolt on right- Blue wire from pump motor.

Small screw Front Left- Purple wire from 4 wire trim harness

Small Screw front Right- Black wire from pump motor and negative wire to battery.

My next question is where does the blue wire from the trim harness go. I have the purple wire on the left front screw,I only have action when i push the up/out button on the switch. Nothing from the bottom IN button or the top UP button.

I also have 2 blue wires coming from the back wall I don't know where they go either. They have open ends as if the go to the solenoid somehow.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

We really need to know what system you are working on , Merc,OMC,Volvo, etc.Wiring manuals available in the adults section.

armstrongd

Cadet

Find the wiring harness.( red/green/blue) Jump the red to the blue or green to test the motor.

Here is the current wired layout,I only have action from the middle button. Hope this helps.

Current Wiring.jpg

armstrongd

Cadet

View attachment 39352
Hello guys I have found an excellent diagram from one of the other members. I have color coded before I attempt to wire my pump as such I have a question.
On the diagram it shows a trim limit switch in the middle of the harness wiring. On my wiring it goes from from to back with no breaks. Do all boats have this Trim Limit Switch and if so where do I look? My purple and blue wires come out the harness right behind the plug.

P.S. Could that possibly be the 2 blue wires coming from the back wall?

Attachments

• schem1.JPG
    schem1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, must have missed that. Anyhow, the solenoid controls the "up " motion.
Check both the main power connections especially the grounds. The solenoid needs a ground to operate. The down circuit is connected to the plastic mounting tab just to the right of the pump. There is no relay because merc felt it takes less currect to go down.The 3 wire harness needs to have power on the red lead to the switches for the trim to work.Either manual 1 0r 2 will have this infornation ,it`s in the adults section.

armstrongd

Cadet

I have purchased a used trim pump from a guy that had a 115 Hp outboard. The pump looks the same but I wanted to know if it would work on this boat in case this one turns out bad. The first thing I notice is that it only has 2 wires coming from the Hydraulic motor.

WILL THIS PUMP WORK WITH A 120 INBOARD MOTOR>trim115.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It might work, but Outboard pumps Are different...