Help! New to boating! Which one?

sham

Seaman
Re: Help! New to boating! Which one?

I wasn't aware of this info. I thought the only issue with the Stingray was the lower unit. You may have to switch to a "which one needs the least amount of work and it's purchase price + repair costs still come in within my budget" mindset.

What was the issue with that cool deckboat with the new interior?

***My bad - the one with the lower unit that needed replaced was a different stingray - the one I'm talking about with the rotton floor is this one:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/764000079.html

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion!

sham

Seaman

That is a wide variety of vessels you have there. What exactly do you plan on doing ?

Not exactly sure - just look at as many as I can I guess and weed out the ones that I know I don't want and sooner or later - I'll find THE ONE!!!:):D;)

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

didn't know that stingray stuff either. thought the price was a little iffy? stay away from any boat you think could be a project. unless you're looking for that.

my suggestion would be to take someone who has good boating knowledge w/ you for any boat you look at. w/ this tough economy, you will find a fair deal on a good boat. take your time & find one that fits your needs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Winner is very nice. And I like the Stingray with the lower unit that needs seals, it looks like a very nice boat and I think you could deal a little and even with having to do the repair work it would be a good deal. That guy seemed like one of the few owners you talked to who knew what the he!! he was talking about.

sham

Seaman

Well, how hard is it to do the lower unit seals yourself? What is it for? I don't understand any of that? My husband could probably do it IF someone helped him with it. But - if the lower unit needs resealed, doesn't that mean that we can't take it for a test drive which defeats the whole purpose of us wanting to try it before we buy it??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's not something I could do myself. The good part is, you could remove the lower unit and take it to a shop to be repaired instead of having to drag the whole boat there.

The lower unit contains gear lube (thick oil) to lubricate the gears in it. The seals keep the lube in and the water out. If water gets in it can break down the oil and damage the gears. It is not an uncommon problem for the seals to wear out. I do think the $550 the seller told you it would cost sounds high. You could probably get it done for less.

sham

Seaman

It's not something I could do myself. The good part is, you could remove the lower unit and take it to a shop to be repaired instead of having to drag the whole boat there.

The lower unit contains gear lube (thick oil) to lubricate the gears in it. The seals keep the lube in and the water out. If water gets in it can break down the oil and damage the gears. It is not an uncommon problem for the seals to wear out. I do think the $550 the seller told you it would cost sounds high. You could probably get it done for less.

Oh - stupid me - I thought the lower unit meant the "rubber seal" around the boat! Boy - shows my intelligence!! Anyway, what about the "test drive"????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't know what to tell you there. Perhaps if the leak isn't too severe, you could do an oil change and go for a quick run.

I would just hate for you to rule this boat out (if it is one of the nicest otherwise) because of leaky lower. If you get it narrowed down to just 1 or two boats and this one is one of them, discuss your concerns with the owner. He will probably work with you.

sham

Seaman

Yeah - I guess I could ask that - didn't know that would be possible! See - I learn so much from you all! Thank you very much!

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The lower unit is the part of the outdrive that holds prop, the prop shaft and the gears for the prop shaft. The seals the owner was referring to keep water out of the gears. Those gears are pretty tough and it is not uncommon for small leaks to occur. In fact, the gear oil for the lower units is designed to absorb some water (it turns from maple syrup brown to frothy grey when it has enough water in it). I would talk to the owner and get a better description of the leak he is referring to. Sometimes the leaks are a simple result of a small seal (a washer really) one of two screws that you remove when you change the gear oil. That is a 12 second fix and less than $3 in parts. If it is truly the lower unit seals (which it very well could be given the age of the boat), the parts are relatively cheap and it is about a 2 hour job to replace them (maybe less) once the lower unit is off the boat.

Lower unit leaks are very common and nothing to be afraid of as long as the owner knows about it and kept fresh gear oil in the lower unit.