Help! New to boating! Which one?

sham

Seaman
Hello to all! I am new to boating so please forgive me if some of my questions sound stupid. I am a mother of 3 - family of 5 looking for a used boat. We want to tube (2 at a time) and ski (same) and possible knee board. We need plenty of room to bring the grandkids at times possibly. We want it to go pretty fast - easy on gas (who doesn't!). We are looking at a bayliner capri (here's the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/735979995.html), a sunchaser: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/714202724.html , a stingray: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/729554439.html, a viking deck boat: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763964968.html, and a glastron (bit pricy for us right now): http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/764949696.html, a hurricane: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763375107.html, and last an Ebko: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/761407823.html

Sorry so many - but am confused about what to get for our family. Inboard/outboard ? Outboard only? HP? Deck? Please help guide! All opinions welcome!!!:)

drewpster

Commander
Re: Help! New to boating! Which one?

All the boats you picked here look like they would work well for a weekend fun boat. The tri-hull (last on list) may be a little small for a family of five. I would suggest a larger boat. I would also suggest that you give the trailers close attention as well. Of course they have to be in good condition and they have to be easy to load and unload the boat. If the trailer is not designed well it makes it more difficult to load, especially in wind. A trailer with guide-ons like the one in the Hurricane ad a a big plus for a new boater. Regardless of which boat you choose buy some bolt on guide-ons. They will make you life allot easier.
All the boats you have listed have some years on them. You have no way of knowing how well they have been maintained so be sure to go for a test ride. If they are unwilling to go, don't buy it. If you see signs of rot like soft wood or wet carpet, take a pass. Boats are made for the water but leaving a boat outside without some sort of cover is a cardinal sin. Ask how the boat is kept. Its a good sign if you see open space in the garage or at least a boat cover around. Ask if they have a cover with the boat. If they do, that's a good sign. I generally do not recommend buying a used boat from an individual for first time boaters. However it can be made a safer bet if you are thorough. It is always a good idea to have a marine mechanic check the boat out before buying.
If they are in good shape you have made some good selections to choose from. Generally an inboard engine is better for skiing and towing.
I like this one,
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/714202724.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

bayliner capri: Has a force motor which are difficult to obtain parts/service for
sunchaser: Depends on what the "TLC" needed is
stingray: Looks like a very nice boat for the price
viking deck boat: Neat boat, could be nice. Price is a little high
glastron: ad removed
hurricane: has an OMC drive which is difficult to obtain parts/service for
Ebko: Looks to be very well taken care of. Nice boat, good price.

I personally like the Stingray and the Ebko. Both have a reliable mercruiser 4 cyl motor. Neither will be speed demons but should be adequate though I don't know about pulling 2 skiers at the same time. However I don't know if either of those will be big enough for your expected passenger payload. So maybe you should get some more info on the sunchaser or the viking. Any used boat, particularly those of this vintage or older, need to be carefully checked for rot. Even if the engine is perfect and everything looks good you don't want a rotted transom, deck, or stringers to ruin your good deal. I/O or outboard are a personal preference. You may want to avoid Force outboards, and OMC I/O's because neither are made anymore nor well supported with parts.

sham

Seaman

Thanks so much! So - are deck boats suffecient for tubing/skiing? If so, do they generally get-up-n-go pretty quick. Someone told me that deck boats are more like pontoons and that's why I was a little leary. Also, what is the major difference between and inboard and an outboard? I know one is in the boat with part hanging out and the other is like an oversized trolley motor with all of it hanging out! :confused:

sham

Seaman

Thanks! Were also checking out this one - viking: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/755174180.html
Like this rinker too but a bit much for us: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763662291.html and was talking to owner who states the vinyl has some aging in front and back bench seats, the lower unit will need to be resealed which is about $550. , the binni top is like new, boat cover needs replaced, bucket seats were replaced from stingray last year, floor and carpet in good shape, no dry rot on floor, boat was used last fall in Michigan, winterized every year with Portside Marina, stored in garage, started several times this year but no time for the water, he's the only owner, bought in Portside in 1990 and selling it because he's looking for a fishing boat. Does this help? Oh- plus the Rinker factory is here in Indiana I believe. Still - isn't this a bit much considering what needs to be done to it?

And last to not least - not sure if I want to drive to look at this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/757003334.html (Lots of gas to go look and I've wasted enough)!!!

Sorry to keep posting but really am confused on what type of boat to go for!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

sham, I got your PM but for some reason it is not letting me write back to you so I will post it here:

You wrote:

So - we looked at the Ebko and it is a little rougher than the pics show and they may come down to about 2600 - but not sure if we should go with that since it is so old and Ebko is no longer in business. Plus, it's been out of the water for 2 years, the owner did run a garden hose through it and let it run for us for about 15 minutes and it puuuurrrrrrrrred like a kitten. I'm just leary since we can't "test drive" it cuz it's not been registered this year. The owner did sound legit and was very nice. He has built his own house (which is very nice)- has been at his job for 37 years, married with two grown boys, has an old '57 t-bird in his garage (NICE!!!) that he's won several shows for, plus a very nice MG-Migit, he upgraded to a SeaRay cabin cruiser boat - etc. He does sound legit. My problem - as I stated - it's old, out of business, and a bit high? when you can't test drive it. What do you think??

With boats....the manufacturer of the actual hull means little to nothing. There have been TONS of companies making boats coming and going over the years. And since they change their designs so much from year to year it's not like you can get parts for a even a SeaRay if it's 20 years old. So don't worry about that. What you need to be concerned with is the motor and drive and whether you can get parts and service for that. You cannot go wrong with a Mercruiser. The price for that boat seems fair. Just check very carefully for rot. Fiberglass boats have wood in 3 main places: the transom, the floor, and the stringers. The floor is obvious, the stringers are the floor joists (if you will) that run under floor and provide structural stability to the hull. The transom is usually a piece of thick plywood that braces the rear of the boat from the motors force. If the boat has any soft spots in the floor RUN. That usually means the floor and stringers are rotten. I personally am a fan of aluminum boats because they only have wood in the floor and transom and these are easy to replace on am aluminum hull.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks! Were also checking out this one - viking: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/755174180.html
Like this rinker too but a bit much for us: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763662291.html and was talking to owner who states the vinyl has some aging in front and back bench seats, the lower unit will need to be resealed which is about $550. , the binni top is like new, boat cover needs replaced, bucket seats were replaced from stingray last year, floor and carpet in good shape, no dry rot on floor, boat was used last fall in Michigan, winterized every year with Portside Marina, stored in garage, started several times this year but no time for the water, he's the only owner, bought in Portside in 1990 and selling it because he's looking for a fishing boat. Does this help? Oh- plus the Rinker factory is here in Indiana I believe. Still - isn't this a bit much considering what needs to be done to it?

And last to not least - not sure if I want to drive to look at this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/757003334.html (Lots of gas to go look and I've wasted enough)!!!

Sorry to keep posting but really am confused on what type of boat to go for!!

I'd go look at that viking. It would probably move awesome with that Johnson outboard. The Rinker is too expensive if it has a bad lower unit. The Winner looks nice and is a good price.

sham

Seaman

Well, the owner did say he replaced the wood and floor with Marine grade wood and indoor/outdoor carpet and he went through every detail about how he did the floor like the screws? fiberglass, glue, etc. (I didn't pay much attention to this as I didn't understand!) What about the fact that it hasn't been in the water for a couple of years? He said it's orignal paint and glistens a bunch in the sun - he buffed it out last year and added a clear coat and repainted the white part of the boat. The seats are in okay shape and not "as white" as the picture appears. The motor he said was new though with only 80 hours on it? So, not being able to "test it" is okay? Most people say NO WAY - especially one that old. Help! I'm confused! Still like it a lot though but I also favor a deck boat too! Gosh, too many decisions!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like he did a professional job on the floor which is good. The motor being "new" is good only if he has receipts. No receipt = no new motor. Anyone can claim the motor is new. I wouldn't be too concerned with it not having been on the water. Just make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic prior to loading your whole family in it for a day on the water. Have the water pump replaced preventively. It sounds like this guy takes care of his stuff and just didn't get to use it, not that he let it sit and rot somewhere.

Here's what you do about the test ride. I understand that he's not interested in taking a bunch of tire kickers for rides. So what you can do is ask him to make the sale contingent upon a successful test drive. Then he knows you're serious. I would probably be the same if I was selling my boat.

I would go check out the deck boat just because you may like the layout better and it will have more room for your family.

sham

Seaman

Oh - the owner of the Ebko agreed to let us register it IF we want to spend $500.00 and take that off the price IF we buy it. IF we don't - were out $500.00 Not sure if I want to do that - professionally redone floor and such or not! What does it cost to have a marine mechanic typically go look at something for you and would that be sufficient?

sham

Seaman

Well, this will show that I am a blonde and don't knowmuch about boats!! The above listing about the rinker and the info from the owner is actually the info from the sting ray: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/729554439.html Boy - trying to keep all of this info together is tough! Now, back up - with this being said - what do you think of the stingray?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm confused. So are there problems with the Stingray? Going solely on the ad it looks like a very nice boat for a very nice price.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I feel your pain. It is easy to be overwhelmed when looking at used boats.

The stingray looks like a nice boat. Again check the floor carefully and get a good understanding of the maintenance history. The GM 3.0 liter engine is a good one. It isn't the most powerful engine, but it may be the most common engine is runabouts this size. You can tube with them and pull a single recreational skier without a problem. In this size boat, 35 to maybe 40 mph at WOT (wide open throttle).

In the picture, it looks like a mercruiser outdrive, but you will want to confirm that. Also it looks like the skeg (bottom part of the outdrive may have a little damage. Probably nothing to be concerned about, but take a close look. Usually this is simply the result of wear from rubbing against something.

I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 17' bow rider for your needs. If you look at a 19' boat, I would start looking for the next step up in engine size (4.3 liter v6) which is also a very good engine.

Deck boats give you a lot of room, but they weigh more and require bigger engines, trailers, and more towing capacity in your tow vehicle. Some of the older deck boats had a lot of wood in them (like a pontoon as you noted) and didn't have the best build quality. Look it over carefully and make sure the condition is good.

$3500 for the Stingray may be a fair price if it is in good condition. At least it is in the range.

That Ebko doesn't sound great for the money.

Regarding test drives....If you can talk the seller into, do it. Unless you know what you are looking for, it can be hard to tell how it runs on the lake by just running it in the driveway. Like the suggestion above, work out a deal where you will buy it contingent on a test drive with the seller if there is a body of water near by. You can't register a boat until you buy it. If it isn't registered, you may have to just roll the dice and risk a quick run on the lake.

A mechanic will normally charge their hourly rate to check out an engine. A good alternative is to bring a friend that has owned and knows boats to look it over with you.

It is a great time to buy a boat. There are a lot on the market and you are in control. In the $3000-5000 range, you should have many to choose from and it doesn't make sense to get one with known problems. As you are doing, look for a boat that is well cared for, but the owner lost interest for one reason or another.

Good luck,
Dan

sham

Seaman

yes, sorry - the stuff I posted earlier on the rinker was actually info for the stingray which is as follows:
"I was talking to owner who states the vinyl has some aging in front and back bench seats, the lower unit will need to be resealed which is about $550. , the binni top is like new, boat cover needs replaced, bucket seats were replaced from stingray last year, floor and carpet in good shape, no dry rot on floor, boat was used last fall in Michigan, winterized every year with Portside Marina, stored in garage, started several times this year but no time for the water, he's the only owner, bought in Portside in 1990 and selling it because he's looking for a fishing boat. Does this help? Oh- plus the Rinker factory is here in Indiana I believe. Still - isn't this a bit much considering what needs to be done to it?

Does this make sense? Told ya - blonde and don't know much about boats. Just found out the 78 viking is a pig stye! Whole insides needs to be replaced!! Boy - my choices keep changing! Will I ever find something??:(

sham

Seaman

Oh - well, now I just talked to the owner of this boat : http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/714202724.html

He said inside needs good cleaning - like someone used too much tanning oil to lay out in places!? Said he's wanting to sell quickly since he's moving to Hawaii soon - he's actually there now trying to do tie up all the loose ends and is very negotiable on the price. Says he's not that knowledgeable on boats and that it goes "fast enough to pull two kids in a raft". What all should I look for - I'm gonna go look at it - he has his neighbors watching it. He sounds foreign with a heavy accent which doesn't mean much - just frusterating to ask questions and not understand the answers! What 'cha think?:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boats for a couple grand do seem to have issues. I think the Stingray, if in otherwise very good condition is worth the price. At least the owner is being honest in admitting the lower unit is having some water intrusion issues. He could have just changed the oil in it and not disclosed a thing. I think that price is high for a reseal job. You could probably replace the whole unit for close to that. Perhaps offer him $3800 or something if he gets the lower unit serviced prior to the sale?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't know enough about it to render an opinion. What brand motor and drive? Doesn't sound like the owner knows a lot either. I probably wouldn't go over $2000 on a boat that old and it would have to be it very good shape.

I have to admit, those deck boats look pretty fun.

sham

Seaman

So, I guess I am left with few choices. I know there is no rush - I'm just anxious - good time to buy now with season half over and this way we could get some use out of it before the season ends. Any major suggestions?