Help! New to boating! Which one?

smclear

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help! New to boating! Which one?

Where do you plan to do your boating? I live in Indy but my cottage is on Wawasee in Syracuse, Indiana (half way between Ft. Wayne and South Bend).

You are correct in that Rinkers are manufactured here. They're actually made in Syracuse about 1 mile from my cottage. I just sold my 1996 Rinker 212 Captiva for $6500. Owned it since new and was never dissapointed with it. The only reason I sold it was I bought a 1974 Century Resorter. I have a passion for the classics.

With 5 people, plus toys, a smaller boat will feel real cramped in short order.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No to the Steury. Engine is too old.

If I'm reading the descriptions correctly, I would focus on the stingray given the info you provided. It sounds like it was properly maintained at the end of each season and it sounds like the owner knows the boat and has shared the known issues with you. Maybe you can negotiate out the cost of the lower unit/outdrive seal repair. My family had an old 19' sea ray bowrider for years. The lower unit leaked a little on that boat too. Yes we could have had it fixed, but we never did. We just changed the lower unit gear lube (very easy to do and inexpensive) about 4 times per season. We ran that boat like that for 15 years.

All you want when looking for a used boat at this price range is to find seller that is a straight shooter. Things can and will happen with used boats, but started with knowledge of any known issues is valuable. Also, sometimes moving up to the $4000 level gives more options.

I personally don't like the look of the deck boats from that era and I think their looks hurts their value. That is a lot of boat to move around when you just have a couple of people in it.

sham

Seaman

Okay - another new one just came up - I need help!!! It is another Rinker (which I am glad of in a way!) Please look at post: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/724189606.html

Owner said it has a 4.3 and it runs good. Only thing she knew. Didn't know when was last in the water. Only pics she has. What else should I ask?:confused::p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Is that an open bow? Looks like a cuddy.

sham

Seaman

Okay - just waiting on an answer and I have one more for you to look at for tonight and then I'll be done unitl tomorrow!! It is a 89 SeaRay: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/765750177.html

Owner said it was last in the water on the 4th - inherited it from passed uncle and can't get title - no trouble registering it - it goes about 50 - always stored outside and have had for 2 years. Just awaiting more pics from owner. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm pretty sure most 18' Sea Ray Sevilles were sold a closed bow configuration. That will limit passenger space to 5 in most cases.

Let me try to give you some suggestions to guide your search based on what you have stated in these posts.

- My suggestion would be to stick with bowrider boats in the 17' to 19' length. I have a 19' bowrider for my family of 7. We almost always have a friend with too and the bowrider seating flexibility is great.

- Most boat of this style will have a sterndrive or Inboard/Outboard (a.k.a. I/O) engine and you want to look for Mercruiser or Volvo Penta branded engine. The most popular engine size will be a 3.0L engine that puts out 120 to 140 hp depending on year, brand and etc. Some boats will have a larger 4.3L engine that may put out 180 to 220 hp depending on year, brand and etc.

- A smaller percentage of boats in this style will have an outboard engine. Nothing wrong with that. For water sports, you will probably want something no smaller than 115 hp. Mercury, Mariner, Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha, and Honda are all good engines for the years you are targeting.

- As noted earlier, the specific brand of boat isn't as important. Most of the boats built in the late 80s and early 90s were built using the same basic methods. Additionally, they all used many of the same hardware components. Bayliners of the late 80s period probably had the poorest reputation, but if properly cared for, their is nothing wrong with them. Many of these have had new floors installed and they are fine boats.

What is your budget?

Will you be keeping the boat on a trailer? If so, what do you plan to tow it with? The capabilities of your tow vehicle may also put some limitations on what you look for.

sham

Seaman

Budget? probably between 2 and 4 g's - not much I know but to start with for us - just in case it turns into being something that sits and doesn't get used - I hate that. We are pulling with a 2003 Honda Odyssey - shouldn't be a problem since we already us it to pull our pop-up with. We'll be keeping it on a trailer and probably outside for the first year until next summer when we can build a "lean-to" for it and enclose it against our shed. Just depends. :confused: Why?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok. Just trying to understand your constraints (budget, weight, etc.) so that we can help you evaluate the choices.

I think you budget range is a good one. I have owned 6 boats over the years and the only time I ever exceeded that amount was when I built a boat from scratch. That one cost me 4600. With this range, you can find a very serviceable boat that will give you a good couple of years of service.

sham

Seaman

Well, since this post - I've added a couple of others that you can search for under "sham" my user name! I've been all over the board with what I am looking for. I have a couple that I am looking at - everyone has been GREAT at giving me advise which I have definitley put to use. I'm no longer interested in several of them that I have listed for various reasons made aware to me thanks to all of you out there!! I can't thank you enough for helping me become a little more aware of possible problems and to keep me from being an "impulse" buyer - which I am not usually! The thought of wasting money is not in my plan - obviously! I just really want to get on the water - but if it's not until next year - then so be it!! Um - I'm looking at a 1985 winner for under $3,000 - a 84 bayliner for under $3,000 - a 90 Stingray 17ft for $3,500 - and a 92 Rinker for about the same. I think I discussed the Rinker on another post! Sorry for posting so much! I am new to this!! Thanks again for ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

sham

Seaman

Okay - another new one just came up - I need help!!! It is another Rinker (which I am glad of in a way!) Please look at post: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/724189606.html

Owner said it has a 4.3 and it runs good. Only thing she knew. Didn't know when was last in the water. Been stored outside with a cover on it. These are the only pics she has. What else should I ask?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a cuddy cabin which would not meet your family's needs at all. My vote still goes to the Stingray.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

i like the stingray. open bow=good for family. might be a little underpower for tubing, skiing, etc w/ a full boat. price isn't bad, it's a '90, offer less. the sunchaser looks pretty good too & deck boats are very "family" popular. decent power too.

sham

Seaman

Yeah - but the stingray had a rotton floor and here's what I posted about it:
It did run great once it was started. He's willing to take it for a ride if we are interested. The reason for all of the parts being new is that he said the points went bad last year while he was on the lake and after a 70 dollar tow - mechanic suggested all other stuff would be good idea to replace so he did. Engine was actully very clean and didn't see any oil on it. We let it run with "ear muffs" on for about 40 minutes. He said the bilge pump needed replaced and the blower didn't work but when we checked the fuse for the blower - it was bad. He said he had never thought of that as he has never needed to use the blower. All looked good except the area right by the drivers seat where the "under floor storage" is at and right on that corner - there was a "hole" and the wood was rotten. Needless to say - I thought I had finally found the one but then he is not willing to budge on the price - guess we are done with that one.

Now - we'll see what to do from here! Thanks!!!

sham

Seaman

Even with this being said?? He wouldn't budge on price either!

It did run great once it was started. He's willing to take it for a ride if we are interested. The reason for all of the parts being new is that he said the points went bad last year while he was on the lake and after a 70 dollar tow - mechanic suggested all other stuff would be good idea to replace so he did. Engine was actully very clean and didn't see any oil on it. We let it run with "ear muffs" on for about 40 minutes. He said the bilge pump needed replaced and the blower didn't work but when we checked the fuse for the blower - it was bad. He said he had never thought of that as he has never needed to use the blower. All looked good except the area right by the drivers seat where the "under floor storage" is at and right on that corner - there was a "hole" and the wood was rotten. Needless to say - I thought I had finally found the one but then he is not willing to budge on the price - guess we are done with that one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wasn't aware of this info. I thought the only issue with the Stingray was the lower unit. You may have to switch to a "which one needs the least amount of work and it's purchase price + repair costs still come in within my budget" mindset.

What was the issue with that cool deckboat with the new interior?

sham

Seaman

Dont' know if I've posted this one or not but it reads:

1985 Winner Speedboat $2900.00 - it has been stored in garage, interior nice and clean, 17' I/O 3.0 liter engine Pics are listed:

What do ya think - if you haven't replied before??:confused::rolleyes:

Thanks again to you all! You are all GREAT!!!

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0

sham

Seaman

Nothing - we just decided not to go with it since it's too old and too much money - plus I've heard we won't get the good "v" waves for boarding like we want from a deckboat with a 6 cylinder??!! It's not been inthe water for 3 years or more and max speed is 30. That's the main reason - do you have a better suggestion?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I didn't personally prefer outboards.....I'd buy it :)

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a wide variety of vessels you have there. What exactly do you plan on doing ?