Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

One of the down sides of our beautiful impounds. Folks like to shore fish along the edges and camp there. They don't like to haul their garbage back uphill afterward. I don't know how often I come about to go back and pick up some floating "junk" when we're out. You're correct to be sickened.

Yea.. but it was everywhere.. I highly doubt it was just from shore fishermen..

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It has gotten steadily worse over the last few years. On my little lake as more and more people show up who do not slip their boats the trash has increased.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

There are times and places where you have to take action on your own to pick up trash. Bring several lawn size garbage bags and do it yourself. No one else will. our local sand bar had too much trash one year so i went up and down the beach picking it up. The kids on the beach started to help me. Thier parants saw them and joined in too. I hauled 8 leaf bags of garbage that day. If YOU don't do it who will?

Volphin

Lieutenant

I wouldnt say funny things..

I pulled up to 2 shores on Norris Lake TN to see if really was garbage strewn the whole length.. It was.. I was there for a week and it continually made me sick to see a gorjuss body of water littered to that extent..

P9010184.jpg

P9010186.jpg

Canoe, please send me coordinates or general area so I can stop by and clean this up. Norris attracts a lot of "trash" during the summer months. Makes me sick!

82rude

Rear Admiral

the fine for doing stuff like that should be at least 1 grand.people are pigs, im sorry to say.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A good reason to:
require deposits on bottles
ban those stupid bottled tap water bottles (Evian spelled backwards is...)
bring home more than your own trash
carry a small fish net so you can snag floaters while boating

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know the area but the way that wood is all lined up in one direction makes me think there may have been a flood there.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I am to far west of this too help,start a new thread with area that needs attention and pm me when you do so i can stay in touch.If you need help with a catchy thread name let me know the area and such.pm me whenever my fellow iboaters!!!!!

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sent Volphin a PM in regards to the area i stayed. I did tow my boat up there so this was just one shoreline as an example.. Almost every bay and any back water we went to had garbage, Lake Norris is huge, i was amazed at the amount of garbage.

The area level etc.. is all controlled by a dam, i dont think it flooded, the wood was drift wood as most rivers get..

Im sure it goes without saying.. again.. I wont be back.. not really the way i like to see our natural resources being treated..

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

Canoe, please send me coordinates or general area so I can stop by and clean this up. Norris attracts a lot of "trash" during the summer months. Makes me sick!

omg! is that what people do? or was there a flood?

southkogs

Staff member

omg! is that what people do? or was there a flood?
A little of both. That shore is probably a little extreme for what you see normally (not sure about Norris Lake, but Priest, Center Hill, Dale Hollow and Normandy aren't typically that bad). However, these lakes are all TVA controlled impounds. There is a BUNCH of run-off water, river flow, etc. pushing stuff around in 'em. Plus the pool level will rise and fall based on what the dams are doing - so, it can act like flooding sometimes.

At the same time, folks are just careless. They drag a bunch of junk down the hillside to shore fish, and then decide they only wanna' drag the expensive stuff back up. I probably spin the boat around at least once every other trip to stop and pick something up.

That said, 90% of the shoreline you pass in TN will be pretty clean and not look like that.

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice

Some (a lot) of people just don't care. Recently I found an igloo beverage cooler (hole in it, no lid) in the river. I snagged it, kept it with us while we went fishing, and ended up filling it up with trash that was also floating in the river. It is a rare occasion that I don't bring home more than I went with.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Operation clean up!!!! right!!Still waiting for the name of this AREA AND ITS SURROUNDINGS TO START A NEW THREAD TO HELP!!give me details iboats so i can help.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Don't know the area but the way that wood is all lined up in one direction makes me think there may have been a flood there.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

on the coast we get big mats of "rack" washed up in the fall and winter storms; it's primarily marsh gras but with it comes lots of trash and a few treasures. Sunday after a week of a northeaster my pier was flooded knee deep and covered with about a foot of it, so I was out there with my shove pole while it was floating, pushing it off to drift away. A seaside version of shovelling snow.

foodfisher

Captain

S--- rolling downhill in action:laugh: More about the treasures please.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Here's what I had on my boat - my buddies 280DA is behind me....:D

IMG_0924.jpg

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

It's a sack of nuts.....or vice'a'versa!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I know this is dead, but I was just thinking about the worst things I hate to see on a beach as I explore it? After pulling ashore for lunch or a bathroom pitstop.
I will start with numer 20- and everyone count the rest down ok!

20- Ruined sand castles built by kids lol. had to make it out there so all the 19 others could fit in right?

Monsterbishi

Cadet

Last trip out managed to find a LED Lenser H7 headlamp that someone had biffed because it had a couple of broken wires between the light and the battery pack, and a neat collapsable bucket made from silicone rubber, we filled the bucket with rubbish to do our part on the way home and it took me all of ten minutes to fix the broken wires in the headlamp.

Haven't decided what to use the bucket for yet, and a extra quality headlamp is always good!