Bell Housing Hinge Pin Tool alternative ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have seen a kit of "12 point metric" bits at a couple local auto stores (Autozone and Pepboys). The kit runs about $12 dollars and has 4 or 5 bits in it. The largest one is 12mm, and visually looks close to my hinge pin tool.

I checked the whole rack and they did not have a similar kit with standard (inch) bits.

12 mm is .47 inches. I wonder if that would be close enough to work for the hinge pin on the Mercruisers?

If so, it's a cheaper alternative and quicker than mail ordering the special tool

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bell Housing Hinge Pin Tool alternative ?

HERE is a link to the page on the OEM Brand website. OEM is the brand of the tools I was looking at. They did not have a similar kit listed on the website for standard (inch) measurements.

45Auto

Commander

Those pins are torqued to 145 ft-lb. And lots of times they've got some corrosion also so they're pretty tight. Once you strip out the pin using the undersized tool (real tool is .500", 12 mm is .472" - about 30 thousands undersize), then have to drill the pin out and screw up the threads in the bellhousing, then have to replace or helicoil the bellhousing, the correct tool at $14 is going to seem real cheap and like a real good idea.

A half inch allen wrench will also work sometimes. Only problem is that you are only using 6 points to drive the pin instead of all 12. Can't count how many times I've had to use "idiotic" measures to remove a pin that has been screwed up with an allen wrench.

Not trying to shoot you down if it works for you, my experience has been that the RIGHT tool usually makes the job immensely easier!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Could try a 1/2 inch allen wrench,but the 12 point tool is the best way. If for some reason the hinge pin strips, you can have the 1/2 inch allen wrench welded to the hinge pin for removal or have a large nut "tig welded" to the hinge pin.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Heh, I actually bought the hinge pin tool and have never opened it. I just used a 1/2" allen 'socket' which connects to my 3/8" breaker bar. Required some muscle to get it loose, but it went fine.

I agree with the others, don't use metric, use a true 1/2" allen or the actual hinge pin tool. It isn't worth saving $15 to cost yourself hours of removal work and having to buy new hinge pins (which cost way more).

Harbor Freight has a nice allen socket set (same one I used) for about $12. The benefit of going this route is you have some useful allen sockets as opposed to a specific tool meant for one thing only.

Your choice.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, use the right tool. I've tried using a "close enough" tool on other things before, and I've found that more often than not, "close enough" is not actually close enough, and the time wasted to try and save a few bucks is very much not worth it.

chicojerry

Recruit

Where does one find the correct tool to remove the hinge pin? I have a Volvo Penta SX-C drive with the 12 point hinge pin. A 14M socket is too small, while the Mercury hinge pin tool (91-78310) is too big.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1/2" Allen. It even says to use the 1/2" Allen in the manual.

AZSeville

Seaman Apprentice

I bought the special "hinge pin tool" and it sheared in half the first time I went to use it. Had a half inch allen socket standing by and it worked like a champ. Don't forget to heat the housing with a torch before you try to crack the pins because if they were installed correctly they have locktite on the threads.

YeboGogo

Seaman

I bought the special "hinge pin tool" and it sheared in half the first time I went to use it. Had a half inch allen socket standing by and it worked like a champ. Don't forget to heat the housing with a torch before you try to crack the pins because if they were installed correctly they have locktite on the threads.
+1 I was PISSED when the tool sheared.. and I heated the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.