Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

kinda funny looking to me, but the best part is, you dont have to move all the crap from truck to boat,and launching is a drive away.As far as serious fishing its weird.Who buys and restores these?I would like to know the there feelings.

I've read real nice top of the line Amphcars go for around $75,000. They are not good cars or boats but neat. 5 mph in smooth water ( they stay away from waves) and 45mph on the road. I think they are from early 1960's.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

there is a contest, I think in Chicago, where people take an old bomb of a car, seal the pan, add a prop and try to drive it around on the water.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

there is a contest, I think in Chicago, where people take an old bomb of a car, seal the pan, add a prop and try to drive it around on the water.

sounds like my boat,lol

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

it is an old generic fishing pole, popular in the 1960's, and earlier/later. Yard sale value= $3. Made for a bait caster reel. The cork handle is good for hooking your hooks in to when you stow it.

In the lower Chesapeake Bay at the various bridges where people fish for stripers, it is not at all unusual for people to (a) lose poles overboard and (b) for someone else to hook them and retrieve them, and keep using them. Some people have found their own pole, or returned found ones through local fishing forums.

I wonder whos pole i found at lake mead.lol

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

According to my Uncle, Archie Taylor (of blessed memory), steel rods were fairly popular in the 1950's (and maybe even in the 1940's?). He claimed they were good bait casting rods for their time. Then stories began to circulate about fishermen getting struck by lightening while using them. People got afraid of them and that was the end of the popularity of steel rods. If I ever manage to acquire one in good shape I'm going to put a decent reel on it and try it for a day of bass fishing just to see how well it does.

I suspect that the lightening stories were urban legends but that wouldn't have made any difference if enough people believed them.

As for the lightening stories being the reason for the end of the popularity of steel rods, who knows? Uncle Archie certainly believed that was the case. It may have been simply that better rods made of other materials became available and people switched to them.

you can have mine,just pay for shipping

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the 60's a guy tried to drive a VW beetle off the pier to commit suicide. The older beetles were very well sealed (and light) and it floated for 45 minutes before the harbor patrol rescued him.

TerryMSU

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If Ted Kennedy had been driving one, he'd have been president.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the delay in answering. Didn't see your post offering it until this morning. Thank you I've got a friend who, when he found out that I wanted a steel rod just offered me one in good shape if I'll give him the first fish I catch with it. Let Angrywasp have yours.

Again, thanks for the offer.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I've read real nice top of the line Amphcars go for around $75,000. They are not good cars or boats but neat. 5 mph in smooth water ( they stay away from waves) and 45mph on the road. I think they are from early 1960's.

The newer amphibious cars are a little bit faster. 60+ on the water, and the mid 12's in the 1/4 mile.

http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_python.html

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I found these on the bottom of an ancient river during a dive off the coast of Venice beach Florida...

Venice_026.jpg
Upper left is a juvenile mammoth spit tooth, below that are horse and camel teeth, the bit shark teeth are from megalodons, the bottom left has a Great White, a Hemepristus (Snaggle tooth) and Lemon shark.​

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

According to my Uncle, Archie Taylor (of blessed memory), steel rods were fairly popular in the 1950's (and maybe even in the 1940's?). He claimed they were good bait casting rods for their time. Then stories began to circulate about fishermen getting struck by lightening while using them. People got afraid of them and that was the end of the popularity of steel rods. If I ever manage to acquire one in good shape I'm going to put a decent reel on it and try it for a day of bass fishing just to see how well it does.

I suspect that the lightening stories were urban legends but that wouldn't have made any difference if enough people believed them.

As for the lightening stories being the reason for the end of the popularity of steel rods, who knows? Uncle Archie certainly believed that was the case. It may have been simply that better rods made of other materials became available and people switched to them.
Nope its true.Even modern fiber,carbon rods sometimes have warnings on them not to use them in storms...for a good reason too! Imagine steel ones...phew

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I found these on the bottom of an ancient river during a dive off the coast of Venice beach Florida... Upper left is a juvenile mammoth spit tooth, below that are horse and camel teeth, the bit shark teeth are from megalodons, the bottom left has a Great White, a Hemepristus (Snaggle tooth) and Lemon shark
Nice teeth Pete. Got a buddy that has some 4 to 5 inchers. My lil bro found a 2 1/2" beauty in knee deep water behind Snake Island awhile back.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Summer is almost over,lets see what you all have seen?

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldnt say funny things..

I pulled up to 2 shores on Norris Lake TN to see if really was garbage strewn the whole length.. It was.. I was there for a week and it continually made me sick to see a gorjuss body of water littered to that extent..

P9010184.jpg

P9010186.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

lots of garbage, wash up, rip rap there i see.If not mistaken, the propane tank looks like it still has the protective white cover on it.maybe full

southkogs

Staff member

I wouldnt say funny things..

I pulled up to 2 shores on Norris Lake TN to see if really was garbage strewn the whole length.. It was.. I was there for a week and it continually made me sick to see a gorjuss body of water littered to that extent...
One of the down sides of our beautiful impounds. Folks like to shore fish along the edges and camp there. They don't like to haul their garbage back uphill afterward. I don't know how often I come about to go back and pick up some floating "junk" when we're out. You're correct to be sickened.