trim sender replacement??

bluenosers1

Recruit
My trim sender unit (02 alpha1) is having issues...
I took it apart and the small metal clips that the rotor turns on have corroded away. Can I get replacement clips for the thing? It sounds stupid to buy a new trim sender and limit package to replace them.
I know I can run without it, but I want the guage to work....
Any help would be apprecaited.
thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: trim sender replacement??

Replace the gauge with something useful or replace the sender on the drive. It is not a simple task and you need to replace the trim limit switch while you have everything apart.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replace the gauge with something useful or replace the sender on the drive. It is not a simple task and you need to replace the trim limit switch while you have everything apart.

I think he is just talking about the little round trim sender (switch?) that bolts to the I/O, one on each side, with 2 little bolts. Comes off and on easy.

Am I correct?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I think he is just talking about the little round trim sender (switch?) that bolts to the I/O, one on each side, with 2 little bolts. Comes off and on easy.

Am I correct?

The sender and switch are very easy to remove - just need a screw driver.

The wire routing though, is where it gets fun... Through the transom shield to connectors inside the boat.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My trim guage doesn't work, but I wonder why I need it--I can trim the boat by feel and ear, and watching the speedometer.
As a related question, I also have (for the first time in my experience) trim tabs. If my trim guage worked, is it showing the trim angle of the motor, or of the boat? If the former, what good is it, when the trim of the boat can be adjusted independently of the motor?

cjdjmullen

Cadet

Good question. I just installed a new trim sender and the gauge still is all the way up. The gauge shows just the boat icon and not a motor icon. So I was wondering the same thing. Is the gauge for the angle of the boat or the angle of the motor?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It represents the angle of the engine/drive.