Forum Etiquette

Forum Etiquette

• Yes

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • That's stupid! There is no agression here, PERIOD!

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Forum Etiquette

For the most part, everybody plays nice. On occasion, someone's bad mood get's the best of them and they post something they regret. They need to read their own thread before they hit the "send" button. But when they don't, the moderators usually are quick to pick up on it and deal with it, and I for one am very appreciative.
That being said, occasionally a harmless thread is submitted by a member, and a healthy response follows, followed by some inappropriate responses, resulting in the entire thread being closed or removed entirely. My own opinion, and it is just that, that it would be more fair and informative if the offending replies were deleted with brief explanation, rather than the entire thread.
Thanks again to the moderators for doing a great and sometimes difficult job.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't been a member for very long, but I think this forum is much more civil than most forums. The comments section of our local news station that still allows comments is much more aggressive/offensive. The other news stations have cut out the comments sections altogether due to this. My hat is off to the Mods for the great job they do considering the large number of posts they have to skim and moderate.

I do think the "Sin Bin" idea has merit, but with a little tweak - show only the post itself and not the ID of the poster. That way we benefit from seeing what is "out of bounds" and the OP knows they're guilty but are not held up to ridicule. Just a thought...

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't been a member for very long, but I think this forum is much more civil than most forums. The comments section of our local news station that still allows comments is much more aggressive/offensive. The other news stations have cut out the comments sections altogether due to this. My hat is off to the Mods for the great job they do considering the large number of posts they have to skim and moderate.

I do think the "Sin Bin" idea has merit, but with a little tweak - show only the post itself and not the ID of the poster. That way we benefit from seeing what is "out of bounds" and the OP knows they're guilty but are not held up to ridicule. Just a thought...

Keel hauling them...... or ......Making them walk the plank may work too...........Of course I am a Pirate and used to harsh judgements. Prob my upbringing makes me a little mean. But I make up for it with my health.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Well I don't know if anyone is referring to me in any of these posts but if I see someone suggest something dangerous or extremely stupid or risky I will speak up in no uncertain terms. I don't really recall that happening on this forum but it has on others. Get mad at me, I don't care. Ban me, I could care less. I will callz 'em as I seez 'em. I am very safety oriented and will not change for any forum.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Here's an etiquette suggestion - how about not insisting on posting stuff that you do know, or at least should know, will get a thread closed. As I write this, I am still ticked about the second Gulf spill thread being closed.

Thanks guys ... glad to know that your personal political opinions are more important than the desires of the rest of us. Thanks for putting the mods in the position of having to close something, that they probably would rather not have closed.

:mad:

???

aspeck

Staff member

Here's an etiquette suggestion - how about not insisting on posting stuff that you do know, or at least should know, will get a thread closed. As I write this, I am still ticked about the second Gulf spill thread being closed.

Thanks guys ... glad to know that your personal political opinions are more important than the desires of the rest of us. Thanks for putting the mods in the position of having to close something, that they probably would rather not have closed.

:mad:

???

I'll second that ... I enjoyed the knowledged gleaned from that thread. I had some views that would have gotten the thread closed, so I kept them to myself because I wanted to keep the news and information coming. The first hand account from Jay and Ken were great, as were others accounts. I am not upset with the mods - they did what they had to do - but with the ones that couldn't play by the rules.

I'll second that ... I enjoyed the knowledged gleaned from that thread. I had some views that would have gotten the thread closed, so I kept them to myself because I wanted to keep the news and information coming. The first hand account from Jay and Ken were great, as were others accounts. I am not upset with the mods - they did what they had to do - but with the ones that couldn't play by the rules.
I agree. I started the thread and after it continued to be HYJACKED by people with a polictical agenda I was very pleased to see it closed. It was after all ABOUT OUR DYING ANIMALS.......

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I third that.

I was so mad last night that I pounded the computer desk so hard that
a speaker hit the floor.

What a shame. I guess the only surprising thing is that it was
able to stay up as long as it did.

Thanks to all our great mods. They did a great job trying to preserve it.

Thanks to Jay and Ken (and others) for all the great info.

Brian

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I didn't always agree with Ken, but I appreciated his posts, because he did two things - he offered the perspective of someone who is in the business and knows it well, and he kept those comments factual, not political.

We can have discussions when we have differing views of things. All it takes is a willingness to play by the rules.

???

Re: Forum hostility

Re: Forum hostility

Since I participate in some other forums and have a basis for comparison, I would say that this one is about as civil as they get. The reason why is simple - "management" doesn't allow most of the things that start the flame wars.

Trust me folks, this place is positively tame.

???

Exactly, I am a member of a few other forums as well, and this one is BY FAR the "tamest" if you wanna call it that. There are no topic sections to start a war. I belong to another forum that has "Heavy Section" aka Politics and such...that section ALWAYS has wars going on.