Alternative to Quicksilver high performance gear lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtmover

Cadet
So, the manual specifies Quicksilver high performance gear lube for the drive. There are few marine suppliers here selling it leading to a captive market and resultant high prices. Are there any other recommended alternatives. I guess in this context "high performance" means synthetic so would any good synthetic 80W90 grade be OK.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alternative to Quicksilver high performance gear lube?

Yup......;)
But I still use the Merc stuff......:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.............

I'm running Mobil 1, in 75W-90 in Mine............

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use the 80W-90 Valvoline Durablend stuff.. It's a blend, but it seems to be doing well.

Side note, I also use the 10W-30 in my car and my gas mileage improved 2-3 mpg.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Another alternative might be Amsoil synthetic gear lube.
(Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube) Also fairly expensive.

But for something you may buy maybe once a year or once every other year, the price seems somewhat insignificant.

I'm using Mercury HP gear lube since it's available at West Marine and Boaters World and easily available locally.

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

and easily available locally.

Ayuh,............... That's the Key.........................

rob85546

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.............

I'm running Mobil 1, in 75W-90 in Mine............

so is that synthetic??? What weight is good for an 87 alpha one??? if I change here at the end of the season, should I change again at the begin of next season???

What about motor oil for the 3.0??? whats a good brand, weight to use, I have been ordering the quicksilver the past couple years, but just like with the harley I had, they say to use the harley oil, and I think other oil works fine also.....

What about engine oil filter, anyone know the part number and brand, Napa, Or K & n, or Fram that I can jsut buy locally as well????

thanks

jglad

Seaman Apprentice

What about motor oil for the 3.0??? whats a good brand, weight to use, I have been ordering the quicksilver the past couple years, but just like with the harley I had, they say to use the harley oil, and I think other oil works fine also.....

Yeah, they say to use only Harley oil because they have boats to pay for too! :D

Use whatever oil you feel most comfortable with; I've always used Amsoil synthetic in all of my Harleys and Castrol syntec in the boat and cars.

Never a problem.

dirtmover

Cadet

What about engine oil filter, anyone know the part number and brand, Napa, Or K & n, or Fram that I can jsut buy locally as well????

thanks

Not sure about these brands but you can look it up for sure on the Wix web site.

StangLX302

Seaman Apprentice

thanks

I'm using Royal Purple 15w40 and a K&N Gold in my 3.0. I know the manual says use 25w40, but this was the closest weight Royal Purple makes.

http://www.synerlec.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/maroilfilter.htm (cross reference chart for OEM, K&N, Fram, Sierra)

toddb3

Seaman Apprentice

I wasnt paying attention the other day at the marine store and bought and filled my gear case with "Quicksilver Premium gear lube". I didnt notice until I had finished that the bottle said for outboard gear cases. Am I OK to run this or should I drain and refill with something else?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........That'll be Just Fine.................

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my engine / outdrive is under warranty until August 2012.... So I use Mercury fluids all the time. No reason to give them any reason to question my warranty. After 2012 who knows what I will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.