Things you wish you knew when you started boating

Brijoe00

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Things you wish you knew when you started boating

I wish I had known I was going to have a brain fart when I was removing the outdrive and destroyed the shift cable while pulling it through the transom on my OMC 800. It took an act of god for me to find a new one (no one is makeing those at the present time) and they are not cheap.

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How amazingly expensive everything related to boating is, buying the boat is the cheap part, keeping it shiny side up and actually moving is where it gets expensive:eek:

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Trim the outdrive up before pulling out of the lake !!

Well I knew that but somehow slipped my mind on my 1st outing.Want happen again I bet.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wish i had all you guys or girls with me when i go buy my first boat, which is as soon as my 2 jet ski sells!!!!

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

wish i had bought a boat instead of those 2 jet ski's i'm selling!

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

Things I wish I'd of known .....

1) That a gallon of oil would cost me $30, and I'd need 2 of them to fill my oil tank. All the while fussing about paying $3 for a gallon of gas. :)

2) It costs twice as much to fill up a boat as a car or truck, and burns it 3 times as fast.

3) That I'd have been better off buying a NEW boat with a warranty than a used one with 13 yrs. of weather on it.

4) Buying a 'Used' boat is kind of like getting a divorce. You throw all of your money at it and the problems STILL don't go away. :D Or .... Kind of like getting married. You give 'her' every spare penny you have, and she still ain't happy. :D

RAPACHI

Cadet

Lets hear it, no matter how big or small what do you wish someone told you when you started boating? Ive just started myself so i dont have much wisdom to bestow yet :redface:

DO NOT LOAN YOUR BOAT OUT............... I am pay for that now. Welcome to the boating world, cost a lot for fuel. but worth it. One more thing roller trailers stink. I am changing mine to bunkers this winter.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Actually I had a heck of a lot more fun in the late 50's, young, stupid, knew nothing, didn't care...and when I got into the middle/late 60's/early 70's, when I STILL didn't care, long as there was fast boats, beer and bikini's...then I started learning stuff...WOW, I survived!,...young and stupid a lot more fun...:D

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... brand name, decks, tilt/trim & compression.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No matter how big of a boat you have you always end up needing one that is two foot longer than the one you currently have :D
How true that is, I started off with an 11 foot tiller, then bought a 13 footer with front steering "oh this'll be great" I said, got sick of getting blue b@!!s and a sore back whenever it was choppy pretty quick, bring on the 4.5 metre centre console which i'm happy with FOR NOW.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The money thing.
Yeah, I wished someone woulda told me about the money thing.
Damn boats are worse than my wife. They try & suck evry last friggin dime from me. :(
but wait, fall & winter steelhead are right around the corner...:)

jst

Recruit

Always anchor off the bow end of the boat - wind and waves can pick up fast and you will have a boat full of water before you can cut the rope. I promise.

z rated

Cadet

Always anchor off the bow end of the boat - wind and waves can pick up fast and you will have a boat full of water before you can cut the rope. I promise.

this sounds like a story i'd like to hear :)

SkeeterBro

Cadet

#1. You will never actually be "finished" fixing your boat!

#2. It's not crossing the lake while going in the same direction as the 3 foot waves (in a sixteen foot flat bottom) that get's ya. It's comming back!

Milkmaster

Cadet

1. That the most loved boat isn't the fastest or the prettiest. The most loved boat is the one that is paid for!

Byteme000

Cadet

There is a big #&*@ sandbar in the middle of Sandusky Bay !

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

There are alot of things,

--A fishfinder/depthfinder probably pays for itself within the first 5 trips, one rock can ruin your day.

--Carry extra gas mix with you if you can.

--You can never go wrong with covering your boat from elements & anything that falls from a tree. Keep her dry inside.

--Sunburns suck, shade from a bimini will keep you on the water longer.

--Other than building a backyard moon rocket or racing monster trucks, boats are about the most expensive hobby a person can have.

--Weather is multiplied by 5 when on the water, pay attention.

--Having a toolbox in the boat makes it real easy to actually fix something.

--Check IBoats forums often, you never know what you can learn.

--All that money you spend on your boat is a distant memory when you get up on plane. :D Enjoy your time on the water, it isnt frequent enough.

Expidia

Commander

1. If you're starting off with smaller boat, get one with the highest sides you can (freeboard, distance from the water to the top of the gunnels).

2. Also on smaller boats, whatever the max hp rating is for the boat, get the max. If you buy the boat and the motor comes with it, sell the motor on Craigslist, take the sale money and put it down on a new 4 stroke like a Merc or similar that comes with a 3 year warranty.

3. Always stow away somewhere onboard a 2.5 gal / "filled" plastic gas can. This can get you out of most low fuel situations. That couple of gal's can take you a long way out of trouble. Saves you from a $100 bill to have a service boat come out with gas. If there is even one on the lake you are on. Tough to pull up to a gas dock late in the day after you've made it there on fumes only to find the gas dock CLOSED. $10 gas can is cheap insurance.

4. Buy a spare tire for your trailer (if you trailer), scissors jack and a lug wrench.

5. Keep a spare prop onboard with a cotter pin and a prop wrench to change it out if need be.

6. Buy a handheld GPS and a handheld radio ASAP (even if you buy full size units at some point, these are a cheap way to start and either can be used as backup later on).

7. Buy at least one auto suspender vest ($80 on sale at West Marine) to wear especially for the times you are alone. If you fall overboard, pass out or get hit by another boat . . . the vest will inflate automatically and save your life! Attach the kill switch lanyard to yourself especially when alone.

8. Get insurance on boat, motor and trailer. It's cheap. Had a friend where a branch fell on one pane of his Formula's bow windshield. They wanted """$12,000"" to replace the whole windshield (he has no insurance). Also one can return from a day on the water back to the launch and someone stole your trailer (this is a new fad among the thieves). My insurance on a 14k 2007 setup is about $180 a year.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I learned how unbelievably expensive I/O drivetrains can be, how to dock without a thousand reverse/forward motions, how important my trim tabs are and engine trim when boating. the definate difference from rollers to white caps and how rollers treat even a tough stomach, the dangers of rotten, cracked, worn/loose hoses.....and much more.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Great thread!

- - - - - - - -

It's hard to screw up a docking at dead slow.

Look behind you as you pull off of plane.

A loose prop nut, deep silt, and a good shot of reverse can make for a long walk home.

A spare prop can save you from a long walk home.

Take the time to learn how to set your depth alarm. Because discovering you can plane in two feet of water at 30 mph is about all the luck you deserve in one lifetime.