First Timer Restore 1978 StarCraft SS16

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
QUESTION..I was kinda thinking I would like to have a couple of underwater LED lights on the SS...You know for a night cruise on the lake, 4th July boat parade, Christmas parade on the lake ect...just maybe one on front one on back...but I just can't get a mental picture of how that might be wired. Any Ideas about this? Thanks---Susan

Not to sure but I think those are more doable on glasser hulls than aluminum. A better way to approach it may be to have some flood light type things wired along the gunwale pointed toward the water to reflex the color of choice. And make them removable for normal operations.

Decker83

Commander
I bought a gallon of the orange adhesive remover.. It worked great on the glue inside the hull.. What I had left over, I used to strip the paint off on the outside hull. It did as good a job as the stripper did.. Didn't have any left over stripper..:D

I'll let someone who has installed the underwater lights answer your question..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Personally I wouldn't create holes below the waterline of my boat for mood lights for a number of reasons. The main one is if it gets impacted by something and gets ripped out you would be sinking. I like Gone's idea of dropping submersible lights over the side.

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Hayco!!! I need all the help I can get...that's for sure!!! It is a nice little boat with lots of potential I think. Trailer is like new, has a 99 envinrude Not beat up...it just needs some love. Look forward to seeing you around...thanks for stopping by!!! Have a great day!!!

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Decker and Gonefishin!!! Hope y'all are having a groovy day. I just thought it would be cool to have some of those lights...I have seen them on line and liked it...but I did not want to put holes in her, and I was worried about them catching on something in the water as well...I guess that will be one thing I won't have to think about anymore. Might make a extra electrical hook up so I can connect rope lights on the rails sometimes. Thanks for the input guys. Have a great day!!!!

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Hello out there!!! I made a little progress this weekend ..or what I call progress anyway. I charged up the battery that came with the boat...and it actually held a charge. I checked out the radio, the tilt and trim, the fish finder...all the electrical stuff, except running the engine. I was going to take it out on the lake, but it has rained all weekend...seems like it has been raining for the last 40 days and 40 nights. After doing a little minor repair to wiring I got everything operational. The wiring on this thing is an absolute mess...but I plan on redoing it all with new wire. The wire looks really small...I was thinking around a 14 gauge for lights, gauges, maybe like 8 for starting and battery cables. Any suggestions, helpful hints????? Not ready to wire...far from it...just trying to get supplies together. Also I wanted to order some rivets but I have no idea what to get. What type? what size? closed, open, flange ???? what type of rivet gun has worked best for y'all? Never riveted anything before...so any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have a plan for a engine stand they would like to share? something not to complicated but sturdy. I have some 2x4s left over from shelves i built in garage...so I have a head start on that. I guess that's about it for now...back to ribs on the smoker...back to football game...Carolina is kicking some packer butt today...going a lot better than I had anticipated...but lots of game left to play. Thanks in advance!!! Hope you all are having a groovy Sunday!!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Engine stand
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-instructional

Make sure you use tinned wire for the electrical stuff. It'll hold up better in a damp marine environment.

3/16" diamteter (shank) all aluminum closed end blind large flange (or brazier head) rivets will do most of what you'll likely need to re revit. In a few different lengths depending on how thick the aluminum is and how many layers you need to rivet together.

A few various length solid rivets wouldnt hurt to add to your order if you need to do any structural repairs. The rivets arent expensive, but shipping can be if you need just a few more or a different length.

Rivetsonline.com will have all you'll need.

If you have access to an air compressor, the harbor frieght pneumatic rivet gun is great to have.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
What jb said^^, even if you are only doing a few rivets the air riveter are indespensible..

Decker83

Commander
Look in the boat restoration section.. Look in the sticky. There or some good plans for a boat stand..

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the info!!!!
Decker...I DID NOT FIND STICKY...do you by chance have a link you could send me...please. Thank you kindly!!!!
Hope you all have a groovy day!!!!!
BTW...I notice some are supreme mariners, admirals, and cadets like myself...so how does one move up in chain of command so to speak? Will I when I win the title of Splash of the Year???? I like the sound of Captain Susan....
Also another question...when you get the inside all cleaned and ready to start the rebuild...do you treat the inside of the boat with any type of anti corrosion stuff???? THANKS!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
This is the stand Decker referred to

Look in the boat restoration section.. Look in the sticky. There or some good plans for a boat stand..

Rank goes up as post count goes up. I dont think Captain is 1 of them though, it isnt strictly ordered the same as Naval ranks, but close.

The majority of us are male, and refer to our better halves as the Admiral. Feel free to use that designation now, no need to wait to get your stripes first ;) its a higher rank then Captain......

Do you boat in salt water?

After the leak test, and application of gluvit to the rivets and seams om the interior, a few prime and paint the hull.

Some only do whats visible above decks, others do the entire hull to add a little more protection.

If you boat in the salt, I'd for sure prime and paint all of the interior. Bare alumimum needs to be prepped and 1st primed w SelfEtching (SE) or ZincChromate (ZC), then the primer for the topcoat, and lastly the topcoat.

Last edited:

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys...you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will probably do a little inter coastal ridding around and fishing...especially since my nephew is in college at UNC-W...but mostly freshwater...but I rather be safe than sorry, and rather put in the work now than later....I feel like the inside is as important as outside.
I guess my mom is my Admiral for time being...I moved her in with me to take care of her because she is disabled and in failing health, could not bare to put her in a home...so that's another full time job like you would not believe. I am not to sure I picked a good time to restore a boat ...something I have always wanted to do...but it's good to occupy my mind, and help with the winter blues, and I have all you great guys out there to help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks JB for info on engine stand...That's exactly what i was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
My wifes mom is w us, so yep I know what you're talking about. Her dad was too until 5days before her birthday a little over a year ago. He was a big guy, tall and lumbering not overweight, and walked himself down the front steps to the ambulance on Sat am. No longer in his right mind and fully sedated by Wed am and gone before lunch Fri.

Good on you for bringing her home. Good thoughts headed your way, Admirals daughter Susan.

Um, dont they say similar things about the Admirals daughters as they do preachers?

Decker83

Commander
Glad to see jbc helped you find the sticky for the motor stand.. I should have posted a link..:facepalm:
The Admirals daughter Susan sounds good..:D
Mothers or very important in our lives.. Good to see you are able to have your mother at home with you..
Have a great rest of the week..

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks JB for the kind words and good thoughts...some days it's tough to have good thoughts and a positive outlook when you watch someone you love deteriorate day by day when all your life you have seen all the strength and hard work they have done, so thanks for the good thoughts...I need all I can get!!!

Hey Decker...Thanks I like the sound of Admirals Daughter!!!! Hey by the way...that is one awesome shine you have put on your SS...It is gorgeous!!!!

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys!!! Hope all is well with everyone! I do a lot of reading on here...but sometimes it leads to confusion...so if I ask dumb questions please forgive me. So with that in mind...I have read a lot of you change your rollers on trailer to boards and vice versa...so I have rollers on my trailer, and they are all in great shape..like new actually...so I was wondering should I change them out to board type or will rollers be ok? I don't want to beat my boat to death after doing all this work...so what are the advantages of each? I hope to have it off the trailer in a couple weeks and I would like to get a little input on this.Thanks a lot!
Susan

dozerII

Admiral
Post some pictures of what you have on the trailer now. Plus move the boat Back a few inches and look for dents or damage on the hull. That is how I decide. Most roller trailers for 16 ft boats don't have enough rollers each roller only gives you about 2 square inches of bearing surface on the hull so if the boat is loaded heavy and towed on rough roads it doesn't take long to badly damage the hull.

Decker83

Commander
I asked the same question and dozerll convinced me to use the bunks..
If you do use bunks, Sell the rollers on CL..

Last edited: