First Timer Restore 1978 StarCraft SS16

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice SS

Welcome to the tin-sanity

FYI, you can put more then 1 pix in each post, up to 6 I think

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all for the warm welcome aboard!!! I really appreciate it very much...seems like I have found a new family...The Tin Family!!!! I can't wait to get started on her. Hope to finish clearing the garage out this weekend so I can begin the tear down and see what's under there. I hope it's not that spray in foam crap!!! Have a fabulous day Tin Family!!!!
Susan

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks to all for the warm welcome aboard!!! I really appreciate it very much...seems like I have found a new family...The Tin Family!!!! I can't wait to get started on her. Hope to finish clearing the garage out this weekend so I can begin the tear down and see what's under there. I hope it's not that spray in foam crap!!! Have a fabulous day Tin Family!!!!
Susan

I think you may luck out with the foam, I believe the pour in carp didn't start till late 79 early 1980.:thumb::couch2::popcorn:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice SS you have there. These are good boats and can be made to fit your own personal style very easily. We love our little SS and have had a blast with her over the last two years. You've come to the best place on the web for everything boats, and these are some of the best people around to help you with your restoration. Keep posting pics of your progress, and most of all have fun and :welcome: to the Tinsanity.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard! Great little SS that surely deserves a second chance at being awesome on the waves once again :thumb:

On to the tear down and then the worst... paint stripping. :heh:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome Susan. What a great platform to turn into your own. Nice score on the trailer and motor! Looks like you won't have to do any work on the trailer:)

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
I have question...I was sitting out in the boat Saturday driving around the lake...in the driveway....making plans for her and I don't have the aluminum trim strips for the deck, sorta like baseboard moldings for the boat,,where would I find these, or what would be something that I could make work for this...would like to keep it aluminum or chrome. Also the side storage panels that are factory on most I have viewed...what could I make these out of...thought about plywood but I would like to keep her light as possible...any suggestions? also what size drill bit do I need to drill out rivets, any certain kind of drill bit??? Have a great day and Thanks very much!!!

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
another question...so about has fast does a envinrude run????????

Watermann

For the sideboard base and the side shelf you would have fabricate them yourself. The base wouldn't be a problem as some AL angle would work. The side shelf piece on the other hand may be a bit more involved. Either you could have a shop fabricate it by making the bends or you could do it with 2 pieces of angle AL and a piece of flat stock, riveting the 3 together.

The solid rivets are 3/16". I have a pilot point drill bit I bought just for drilling out rivets and refrain from using it on any sort of steel so it stays sharp.

Decker83

Commander
The side panels help support the deck and hull.. I would use 1/2" BC exterior plywood..
A lot of people here use a sharp chisel to cut the head off and a small punch and hammer to push the body of the rivet out.
I would use a 5/32 bit and keep it centered on the rivet head. Use a sharp pointed punch to help start the drill bit in the center of the rivet..

Are you asking how fast your Erude will run with your boat or how many rpms it should run?

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks very much Watermann and Decker...I appreciate the information!!! and what I meant was about the speed was how fast will an Envinrude 50 run...mph? forgot the 50 part earlier. Just curious what it might run out of the driveway. I really have the wind in my hair in the driveway!!! What about making those side storage panels out of aluminum? Is that possibility???? Trying to go light where I can...will have to build seats in bow area with plywood since I don't have the original bow seating aluminum sections. Think I could find those in a boat junk yard???? again...Thanks a lot guys, and have a groovy day!!!

Watermann

I have a 55 HP on my 16' SeaNymph that depending on load out will go over 30 mph. It's pretty heavy the way it's set up with casting decks and livewells.

I would recommend you use the standard 1/2" ply for the side panels, it would actually be lighter than Al that's thick enough to replace it with the needed thickness to support the boats structure.

64osby

Admiral
Just curious what it might run out of the driveway. I really have the wind in my hair in the driveway!!!

How fast does your tow vehicle go? I could see your boat doing 70mph.......................................on a trailer. :D

50 hp should get you in the low 30's with a light load and the right prop.

Watermann

Oh no you don't get off that easy, get some chemical stripper like Klean Strip with the orange label and get out there with a scraper! It's called paying yer dues. :D

Decker83

Commander
There have been a few gentlemen that used the pecan hulls and it worked very well..
You can spend some money doing it that way..

The real fun is using the stripper, that way you get to know every single square inch of your boat..:faint2:
Have a great rest of the week..​

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Oh no you don't get off that easy, get some chemical stripper like Klean Strip with the orange label and get out there with a scraper! It's called paying yer dues. :D

+1...and +1 on what Decker said :lol:

you're not a true tin-head until you're branded with a few chemical burns :lol: :facepalm:

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
So it's like that. You guys are tough!!! I was just curious about how well it worked. I'm sure it will be the free labor work...unless my lottery numbers come in...then I might go the pecan route. I already have some paint stripper, aircraft stripper...hopefully that will do the job. I was going to get some of the Klean Strip with the orange...but it said adhesive remover? Is that the right stuff? will probably need that for the inside where they have glued the vinyl in...so might as well get some of that also...pay me now...pay me later.... I can hardly wait to get started...I hope it will be this weekend...that's the plan anyway.

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
QUESTION..I was kinda thinking I would like to have a couple of underwater LED lights on the SS...You know for a night cruise on the lake, 4th July boat parade, Christmas parade on the lake ect...just maybe one on front one on back...but I just can't get a mental picture of how that might be wired. Any Ideas about this? Thanks---Susan

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Nice base to start from on your restore, I'll follow along and chime in when I can!