Everything was fine until i fixed it (boat has mind of its own now)

haulyard

Seaman
My 35 hp chrysler 70's on a chrysler 14' fiber boat same year,was a fast and stable boat at all speeds. (thanks to the help i recieved here at iboats) i had the boat listed for sale on ebay ,but decided i should take a look at floor board and what was underneath.

there was water and water logged foam probably 100 lbs of it or more.also floor board was water damaged.
I removed all of the soaked foam and replaced a large part of flooring.
also i painted the lower unit. and added a speedometer(pressure tube type)

well now i was all excited to see if boat would go faster ,BUT when i got her up to about 15 mph she turned hard left ,i played around with every possible setting (4 trim settings) but was no different.
I tried steering to right when it wanted to go left and this caused it to nose dive.
it seemed like boat was trying to sink itself(really quite scary)

SO , my questions are, can this be caused by
1. a small piece of plastic for speedometer.
2. painting motor
3.removing so much weight from hull
or all of the above??

rndn

Commander
Re: Everything was fine until i fixed it (boat has mind of its own now)

Is the zinc anode mounted to the caviatation plate turned one way or the other? This would cause exactly what you're describing. The anode helps combat torque steer that is naturally generated from the prop turning in only one direction. Boats that have twin counter rotating engines do not have this problem.

haulyard

Seaman

no clue what a zinc anode is,but i touched nothing on motor while painting ,maybe last time out it was moved? where do i look and what does it look like,and thanks

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at the circular fin type doo dad in the photo (bolt part# 63 holds it on).
This is the steering trim tab. If it is missing or improperly adjusted it will pull hard right. It should be about centered to begin with and if your boat pulls turn it in the opposite direction of the pull (I think that's right) a little at a time and test run, adjust as necessary.

Johnson-outboard-V4-90-degree-lower-unit.jpg

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is my guess.....better sit down.

I'm assuming that the engine and steering related mechanical components are not causing the problem.

I'm guessing that your hull bottom is dangerously deforming. You said that you pulled out a lot of water logged foam. How were the stringers? It could very well be that the hull bottom was being supported by the foam. Now that it is gone, there is nothing supporting the hull bottom.

Usually if the floor boards are damaged by water, then the stringers have also been damaged.

I mention this from experience. I did the same as you. I pulled out wet foam from a boat and replaced the floor. I didn't see that the stringers were GONE (like not there anymore!). I didn't see it because the old fiberglass that was formally around the stringer was still in place. Unfortunately, without the wood in that lamination, the remnants of the stringers added no structural support.

I hope I am wrong, but please check it out. It can be very dangerous.

haulyard

Seaman

i think the floor on this boat acted as stringers,the floor board was encapsulated entirely from bow to stern with no provision for water to get out,the drain hole was above the floor.
the old floor had holes drilled into it, to fill with the foam.
i replaced floor with three pieces of plywood but should have used one 3/4 inch piece,i did install some styrofoam pieces under the floor so there would be no sagging when walking on floor..

so i guess i will tear out the brand new carpet and put in a nice solid floor and fill it with foam,
Has anyone ever tried that insulating foam that comes in a can(cant think of name)that expands in cracks and holes.

or am i wasting time on this hull,maybe i should just find another boat and bury this one........:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My concern is that you said you had the boat listed on eBay. Are you still planning on selling it? If so, I wouldn't bother with the work because you won't get your money back out of it. A small old boat with a Chrysler isn't going to bring much. However, if you'd be happy using it assuming everything could be made right then head over to the restoration forum and get to work!

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Do you know where to get the foam in that quantity? I have looked with no luck, if you find it, please post the location.

haulyard

Seaman

My concern is that you said you had the boat listed on eBay. Are you still planning on selling it? If so, I wouldn't bother with the work because you won't get your money back out of it. A small old boat with a Chrysler isn't going to bring much. However, if you'd be happy using it assuming everything could be made right then head over to the restoration forum and get to work!

i gave $45.00 at auction for boat motor and trailer,only had to realign the water cooling tube with impeller housing and change plugs.this 35 hp chrysler was fast even with the waterlogged foam and about 10 gallons of trapped water... check out video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAdcy2xKu0A

and to each his own on motors,there is nothing wrong with a chrysler.whatever gets you out on the water and back again is a good motor.

Nandy

Commander

Haulyard, I dont think ezmobee was criticizing your motor but just telling you a fact that most of the time when you sell a properly restored boat you dont get your money back. However, if you did not even spent 100 in the combo I would not spent too much money on it and just sell it as it is. Tell the new owner he needs to replace the stringers for the boat to run straight again. The canned foam is very expensive and not the way to go. Follow the link you were given here for the foam replacement if you are still inclined to fix the problem. You might need more than one of those cans, check the specs.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Slap a floor in it and go fishing :cool:

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

So as long as he has solid foam under the deck he wont need stringers?

cordell

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After watching that video,I'd put the waterlogged foam back in,seems she ran great!!:D:D:D

Nandy

Commander

So as long as he has solid foam under the deck he wont need stringers?

cordell

Negative! The hull needs the stringers but the foam will give the hull some stability. My guess is that the stringers were gone and someone just filled the hull with foam to do a quick sale. If the OP were asking to properly fix the hull to keep it I would advise to put some stringers on it. I am not aware of any fiberglass hull of his type that has no stringers on it. Of course, I have not seen every boat out there...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The floor was supporting the weakened hull when removed the trailer supports distorted the hull. Hull needs to be straightened and repaired.
If you look at the bottom perhaps put a straight edge along it you will most likely see a hollow or concave section ahead of the transom.

Coors

Captain

Yep, hull distorted, gonna take time and money, or foist it off.

haulyard

Seaman

The floor was supporting the weakened hull when removed the trailer supports distorted the hull. Hull needs to be straightened and repaired.
If you look at the bottom perhaps put a straight edge along it you will most likely see a hollow or concave section ahead of the transom.

yep,i checked it out you were right on the money with that one,hull is distorted ahead of transom.