Everything was fine until i fixed it (boat has mind of its own now)

haulyard

Seaman
Re: Everything was fine until i fixed it (boat has mind of its own now)

Negative! The hull needs the stringers but the foam will give the hull some stability. My guess is that the stringers were gone and someone just filled the hull with foam to do a quick sale. If the OP were asking to properly fix the hull to keep it I would advise to put some stringers on it. I am not aware of any fiberglass hull of his type that has no stringers on it. Of course, I have not seen every boat out there...

this was origonal floor was no stringers only floor and foam,never gave it a thought when i cut out floor and pulled out foam,i did leave about three-four inches on sides and end to fasten new floor to but failed to support the hull to floor,oh well ,like i said earlier only was$45 bucks for boat, carpet was $30.00 bucks
not out two much...
i will try pulling floor again and throwing in all the foam and old life preservers i have lying around,and get about three guys inside to smoosh it down while i screw down the floor.
if that fails to work at least she still trolls for fishin

thanks for the advice,very thankfull for this forum.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have no stringers just add one. I am in the process of redoing my floor to. I have 2 stringers and foam in my hull. The foam is dry but stringers were rotted. I took the foam out to save it and am going from 2 stringers down to one stringers right down the middle of the hull. From there you can add some stringers coming off the sides of the main one to add more support for hull and deck. I seen another thread were this was done and figured this would be the easiest way to do it while still doing it right. I was looking into the foam from the link above to add strength to my whole boat not just the deck.

cordell

haulyard

Seaman

ok,i pulled back carpet and drilled holes.
I bought 5 cans of great stuff expanding foam at $3.88 a can on sale.
i jacked up boat where engine mounts to transom,and emptied cans into holes.
just jacking boat off trailer took some distortion out of hull,and after about 2 hours i noticed the floor boards are firm and there is no longer any flex or distortion in hull..

the foam that is offered on above posts was priced around$69.00 dollars for coverage of 2 cubic feet.
one 12oz. can of great stuff was only 3.88 ,and expanded quite a bit.

gonna take her out sunday morning for a test drive and see if there is a difference,will post my expirience when i get back.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

No it is WAY cheaper than that!

FOAM-0204 4 LB Kit 2 Cubic Feet $19.75

I plan to use 2 of these kits here.

FOAM-0216 16 LB Kit 8 Cubic Feet $59.00

Are you looking at the same site as I am?

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

cordell

freddyray21

Commander

many of the boats of that era did not have stringers at all only foam. The foam from home depot is not high density and will break down quickly in the type of application you are using it for. It is also not closed cell so will suck up water quicker than the correct foam.

haulyard

Seaman

many of the boats of that era did not have stringers at all only foam. The foam from home depot is not high density and will break down quickly in the type of application you are using it for. It is also not closed cell so will suck up water quicker than the correct foam.

hardware store foam did the trick, it may not be the right way or may break down ,but it sure was easy dispensing from the can.

the boat was back to it's old self again,new speedo showed 22 mph top speed with two adults.
Thanks for all the advice(from all) to make it right again.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1969 Glasspar did not have stringers- it had foam, with a channel down the keel area, the foam was glassed in with matt. Then the ply floor was over that and glassed down.

When I rebuilt it the floor was ripped out allready, I cut out all the foam, and ran pressure treated 2X4's longitudinally from transom to the front where then had to taper out due to the curve of the hull. I screwed them into the transom end, and tabbed them to the hull on the bottom. I put 2X4's between the stringers to tie them together.

Nandy

Commander

Learned something new. That is great and what I am looking for here.

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple questions about your boat. Turns out we have the same one (chrysler).

My question is if you ever felt the boat was unstable? Especially when stepping in and out of it. Mine always seemed very "tippy" and the rear sat real low in the water like yours.

Thanks so much.

Evan