Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cabin

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

Robopath, not sure where you get that statement, most every post here has been against putting money into this project.

robopath

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

Robopath, not sure where you get that statement, most every post here has been against putting money into this project.
Yes, I know. I was only stating that if he decides to sell (he said 90% toward selling) and get something else, that he will get help here finding something else.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to sell it. Just waiting for the paperwork to come through so i can at least pass it off with the title. Not sure if it will matter though as the chances of it ever being put back in the water are slim. That is unless we have a flood. Lol. The only way I will keep it is if I cant sell it. If that happens, I will mess with it from time to time and see where it goes.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The only value I could see from what you shared was the trailer, so if you can sell that with the boat, you will have won a huge battle. Any chance the old owner will just take it back? I think getting rid of that much extra stuff boat/bad motor/and OMC drive (may be able to sell parts off the OMC if it's working) will cause most to avoid the trailer too, maybe I'm wrong. What does it cost to store the rig every month?

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree that there is little to no value forthose of us who understand the scope of work that is needed to repair it. I have listed it with all of its flaws asto not mislead anyone. I have already had a few offers. I have not accepted them yet only because i do not have the title in hand yet.
It is not costing me anything to store it.

pckeen

Commander

Just one question - what kind of condition is the trailer in? It may sound odd, but if you can get rid of the boat at a wreckers, or sell the boat separately, you may find that the trailer is worth substantially more than the boat. Does anyone watching this thread know what a twin axle trailer like the one pictured is worth?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

400-800 depending on condition

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok small update. I finally got the title for the boat today. I have several people with standing offers on the boat.
When i picked up the title, I asked him about repairs and the water pump on the boat. He said that just prior to parking it, he had just put $3400 into parts for the transome and out drive. He stated that the impeller on the out drive is new and that he believed the water pump on the engine is what was wrong with it. Talking with him more he said he thought the water pump siezed up and that is why he could not start it. This does not make sence and i think his logic and or diagnostic ability is off. I already found the starter to be bad and that may have been the whole problem. Right now I have a profit on this boat of $300 . Before I totally give up on it, I want to hear it run. Obviously I do not want to put a $200 starter in it only to find the engine or out drive are toast. I was thinking of dropping an auto starter in it to hear it run with the engine cover off. If it starts and runs I may change my mind about selling it. If it doesnt, well at least I wont always be wondering.

I have to say, even though the boat is a basket case, there was a twinge of excitement when I had the title signed over and I became the official owner.

The other thing that kinda weighed on my decesion was the fact that I do not have tons of money set aside to buy a nice boat. I can come up with a few hundred here and a few hundred there to make repairs but any other boat I find for the available money would likely have similar issues. I can tell you I have driven several friends older boats over the years and none of them had solid floors. That scares me into thinking that just because I spend more on a boat that it may not also have problems.

pckeen

Commander

Congrats on getting the title in your name. I've been following along. It actually sounds like you might be interested in a project - if so, pick up a boat that makes good sense to restore.

I want to take it to local lakes around here. Fish from it, pull a wake board or a tube from time to time.

If you do want to restore, but want something easier than this - you might want to look for a smaller boat....I have an 18' Starcraft Holiday with a 90 horse on it, which is great for tubing.

However, if you are really set on getting this boat running....

I would start a new thread on the OMC I/O page for your motor, and see if you can get some advice on how to get this thing running for cheap. I gather there are a number of threads on what you need to do to start up a dead engine. Good luck.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you care to click the links in my signature you will see two examples of worthy project boats... the one pictured in my sig I bought for $543 and over the course of 2 years I fixed it up and gradually reached a total investment of under $4000.
The other link is to a 20 deep V fishing boat and while I stopped working on it for a while it is currently seaworthy and I have about $100 in it.
You CAN get a solid boat on the water for cheap if you are willing to do the legwork!

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I gave it the old college try but alas, I have sold the boat. I spent most of the morning trying to get the boat to start. The starter refuses to work with me. I tried to remove it. No luck. The bolts are stuck in the block. I spent 2 hours trying to get the mounting bolts out and all they did was start to round off. I was using snap on sockets and I was leaning on them with everything I had. Next idea was to just swap the solenoid off the starter. I sprayed them with pb blaster but those mounting screws would not budge either. It looks like I will have to remove the engine to gain enough access to work the starter out. All this for a motor that may or may not run in a boat that with rotted floors. If anything I had checked would have worked, I probably would have bit the bullet and started on repairs. It still could be fixed, but too many unknowns and too many knowns are bad. I don't mind a project but I have to see some light at the end of the tunnel to make it worth it. The guy is coming to pick it up tonight. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I should start a new forum but I have this one going... Obviously when looking at a boat, check condition and make sure it does not have any of the issues that my old boat had. I have found another boat that am considering. I have been looking since before I got this boat. It seems in pretty nice condition in the pictures and I am going to look at it tonight. It does have an OMC powertrain though. The boat is a 1978 Omega with a v8 and the dreaded OMC. This one is a good running boat allegedly and the interior looks very clean. When I look at it, I will check for soft spots on the floor etc. What else should I keep an eye out for? I am only looking today but if I do find the right boat, I will make an offer. It will need to be cheep. I am giving myself a budget of 2k.

pckeen

Commander

Check trailer: frame, bunks or rollers, tires for wear or cracks, trailer wiring.

Check hull for damage. Look at carpet, floor and upholstery. Test transom by putting your weight on the motor or the transom to look for flex.

Take a screwdriver and press it into the wooden areas on the boat to check for rot.

do a test run

Check motor for leaks, rust, cracked fly wheel, and frayed or cracking hoses and wiring.

Ask the owner if they are aware of any damage or problems. Ask them how they stored it and what maintenance they did.

Consider having a marine mechanic inspect the boat. Better to spend $100, than to spend $2000, only to discover you need to spend $3000 in repairs.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

with a budget of 2k don't even LOOK at ANYTHING with OMC or ford in it... 2k can put you in a decent rot free Mercruiser with a gm (you CAN get parts) if you shop around.... OMC and rot are deal breakers

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know, I would be taking the sellers word on it but he said he did have it looked it by the local boat shop. The marine mechanic said that it could use a new starter as it can kill a new battery pretty quick while cranking. It started easily when I looked at it today. It was dead cold. He also has a second battery box he has added in to keep a back up battery in. The alternator is charging properly. The floor was solid front to back. Some of the carpet was worn through in high traffic areas of the boat but the fiberglassed wood looked good underneath. He is the 2nd/3rd owner. The original owner died and left it to his kids who used the boat for a little bit and sold it. It has always been covered and comes with a new boat cover. The motor is a Ford 351 I believe. It has a new carburetor. It has 2 fuel tanks up against stern of the boat. The engine and engine compartment are very clean. There is no hull damage that I can see. The upholstery is in good shape. It is not perfect and there are a few small scratches and tears on the top of a couple of the seats but they are very minor.

The trailer loos to be in ok shape. It is missing one marker light lens cover and the carpeted wood on a couple of the supports looks like it will need to be replaced. That is no problem for me to handle.

Overall it looks to be in very nice shape especially considering the age of the boat. It has an OMC stern drive which is the same thing that the Bayliner I just sold had but this is in nice shape. He did mention there is trim control that can raise and lower the engine in addition to the out drive up and down motion.

Here is a link to the add

1978 OMEGA OMC - Seats 10 - Family Boat lake ready

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

do you just not believe us?

KEEP SHOPPING that's an OMC stringer I believe... even harder to find parts than a cobra

Solid floor mercruiser and a GM engine OR an outboard

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe you.. Honestly of the boats that i have looked at in and around my area, in my price range, most have an OMC drive train or have major issues similar to the bayliner i just sold. This one appears well taken care of. The out drive on the bayliner was also an OMC stringer or stern drive as it is written on the out drive. The bayliner did not have a cobra. In my research it does not loom like the Cobra came out till 1986.

A couple of the other boats I looked at had floor rot or mechanical issues. One had a chevy 350 mercruiser but needed head gaskets and the boat wasin poor shape.

Just for the record what parts are hard to get for the OMC. looking online and going down to my local bayliner shop they didnt seem to have any trouble finding anything I was looking for.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What are your opinions on a boat witha Volvo Penta set up?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I just looked through 2 months of C/L boats in your area priced at $2500 or lower... I have never seen so many landfill worthy old rotten boats... I think you need to change tactics... either expand your search and plan to travel a couple hundred miles (which brings on other problems like long wasted trips and non roadworthy trailers OR downsize your desired boat to be able to fit more quality into your budget... as long as you shop hard and buy smart you can always sell a 14'er with a 30 hp outboard once you find your next conquest

I also saw a few decent jetski's that might get ya on the water till you find a bigger boat

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah that is what I found as well. Right now we have had weather around 110 for the last 2 weeks so I am kinda jonesing to get on the water and play. I really did like that Omega though. I thought if I could get it for the right price then maybe it could be fun for a year or 2 then upgrade.

The problem with the jet skis is I will need to get at least 2 to satisfy the needs of my family. I have myself my wife my 18 year old daughter my 16 year old son and my youngest 9 year old daughter.