Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cabin

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

OMC = bad

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do I need this Boat project or should I keep looking. 85 Bayliner 2150 Cuddy Cab

So ask yourself, are you looking to boat, or work and spend huge volumes of cash? Boats almost never provide any type of good investment, so every dollar you invest, will never be seen again. My guess is, if you can fix this abused mess up, it will take $6-$7k and 1-2 years if you do it yourself. So again, what was your original intent? huge nasty project, or go boating? My guess is, a new boat would be a better option to consider if you want to boat anytime soon. Ask us how we know this.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I am going to swim against the current, so to speak. First, 1985 was a couple of years before Bayliner quality took a nosedive. Second, OMC Cobra outdrives can provide many, many years of reliable service, and many parts are available (not so much the case for King Cobra drives). Third, it is possible for the sole (a.k.a. "deck") to be rotten around the ski locker and the stringers and transom to be perfectly sound (ask me how I know this :redface:). So I think further exploration/diagnosis is needed before condemning the boat.

That being said, do clear titles for the boat and trailer come with the deal? If not, then fuhgeddaboudit.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I take back my other post... that thing is totally worthless except for maybe the trailer.

A good running OMC with no problems in a good useable boat bought cheap can be fine for a long time but never never never unless you are a masochist invest a large amount of time or money into a project with OMC in it

It's like if you can pick up an 86 ford taurus in great shape for $300 as a work beater that's works but you don't put a $2000 engine, a $1600 trans, and a $300 set of new tires into one. You send it to the crusher and buy a better car instead.

Is the engine covered by mud???? been underwater???

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I am going to swim against the current, so to speak. First, 1985 was a couple of years before Bayliner quality took a nosedive. Second, OMC Cobra outdrives can provide many, many years of reliable service, and many parts are available (not so much the case for King Cobra drives). Third, it is possible for the sole (a.k.a. "deck") to be rotten around the ski locker and the stringers and transom to be perfectly sound (ask me how I know this :redface:). So I think further exploration/diagnosis is needed before condemning the boat.

That being said, do clear titles for the boat and trailer come with the deal? If not, then fuhgeddaboudit.

The boat and trailer come with a clear title. The boat was running back in 2009 and when the circulation pump went out the boat was set in the storage yard with no cover on it. The Original owner, only knows about the circulation pump issue as once he put it in the storage yard, he left it uncovered and hasn't been back to work on it. At one time a couple of years ago, he offered to have me replace the pump and do maintenance on it, in exchange, I could use it when ever I wanted. He would up getting a DUI shortly after that and lost his job so I never asked him about the boat again. Recently he said that if I wanted the boat, I could have it in exchange for hauling off some scrap metal truck beds that he also had in the storage yard. I made $300 dollars in scrap metal and received the boat. I know it looks rough but my original intention was to replace the circulation pump and replace the upholstery and put it in the water. Further investigation found more problems. The floor was flimsy so I realized that it will have to be replaced. I thought maybe, looked at the stringers the ski locker and they looked good. As pointed out, I know this can be misleading and further investigation will need to be done. I was hoping, I could pull up the floor clean out hull, most likely replace the floatation foam, and lay a new deck down. I estimated this to be a weekend or 2 job minus the fiberglass work on top of the deck. While the floor was out, I was going to take all the seats and soft trim down to the upholstery shop and have them redone. Also while the floor is out, I would change the starter and pump. Was thinking after all this laying down the fiberglass layers on top of the deck and rolling on the gel coat. Be in the water in a month or so.

Obviously, I do not want to do anything unsafe and I know the further you dig, the more possibilities there are of finding more problems. I am not looking at this as an investment as far as money goes, however if I can get a boat for the same amount I am investing in repairs and have it turn key, then that would be better.

I want to take it to local lakes around here. Fish from it, pull a wake board or a tube from time to time.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I take back my other post... that thing is totally worthless except for maybe the trailer.

A good running OMC with no problems in a good useable boat bought cheap can be fine for a long time but never never never unless you are a masochist invest a large amount of time or money into a project with OMC in it

It's like if you can pick up an 86 ford taurus in great shape for $300 as a work beater that's works but you don't put a $2000 engine, a $1600 trans, and a $300 set of new tires into one. You send it to the crusher and buy a better car instead.

Is the engine covered by mud???? been underwater???

Engine is not covered in mud. Just dust. It has sat open in the storage yard since 2009. What part of he OMC drivetrain fails? The engine is a small block Chevy. Is it the outdrive or something else I am not aware of?

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this looks like a pile of junk and it probably is by the sounds of it, however all the info I get here will help me when I do find a good boat.

The last boat I used to have.(didn't own but stored and used it when ever I wanted). Was an 89 Bayliner with an outboard on it. I am not sure of the model The floor was flimsy in that boat to but ignorance was bliss and we took it out several times and had a good time on the lake. The only issue I ever had with that boat was the hydraulic rams that lift the motor would not hold the motor up and you had to put a pin in the back once the motor was up to keep it up for transportation.

After reading all that I have read on here, I realize there were many of the same issues on that boat that this boat has. My father in law has since bought that boat and I know he has been using it for the last 4 or 5 years with out any issues. The floor is still flimsy.

Anyway, after reading everything on here, I am tempted to just get a loan and buy a new boat lol

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry I double posted

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Your plan for this boat is optimistic as most boaters are. You really do need to see what it could be to do a restoration, so good for you. Most of us here just want to protect you from the hidden items you most likely would encounter if you decide to take this project on. It can be done, but if done correct, you will most likely be spending more than a couple weekends to get it done, and then you have the cost and learning curve too. If I were to take that project, I would plan on an entire Michigan summer and budget about $7K to do it right. Then I would hope I didn't find anything I didn't plan on. And there is always stuff you just don't see, like what's under the deck and transom, OMC's are of great concern in the restoration world because they are out of business and getting a mechanic and parts are sometimes tough.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

engine parts are easy it's all of the rest that is an issue... the problem with OMC isn't that it fails but that you can't buy parts when the do

all brands fail but OMC is long out of business... like trying to get a radiator for your Delorean at NAPA... not gonna happen.

I think realistically that if all the stars align and you get really lucky AND you have the right skillset to do the work you can figure on spending the same or a bit more on this as a turnkey boat with a mercruiser and POSSIBLY it could be a little fresher and cleaner when done BUT the first time you have mechanical problems you could be deep in a hole and really wish you had passed on this one.... You can likely pull as much as 2k in trailer n parts from this one to put towards another like the one I posted which says it has a ford 460 but I BET it's a chevy 454..... a healthy 350 WOULD push it fine too.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be a happy boater and buy a boat you can use now. Sell that one to the first guy hat comes along with cash as is. Use the money as a down payment.

pckeen

Commander

Hi,

You may be underestimating the amount of time required to get this boat in workable condition - this isn't a weekend or two's work. Merely stripping the wood, floors, and foam will be substantially more time and energy (and money) than you expecting. By way of example, take a look at the time spent on my Naden (simple tin boat) teardown at the link below - and I still have some more work to do. The Naden was much much much simpler than the boat you are considering. By way of example, once I get the Naden stripped, I expect to have $350 and 20 hours work into a boat that originally cost me only $100....and that is before I buy any wood, foam or paint.

In tearing this boat down, you have to remember it isn't simply a case of taking off some carpet and lifting up the floorboards. You have to: take the seats off, being careful not to damage them in the process. This may require some grinding of fasteners, which have probably rusted in place. You'll probably also find you have to do some rebuilding to the seat bases in the process, looking at the condition of them; you then have to get carpet off and up; you have to remove the doghouse and any trim that holds the carpet down; you then have to get the wood out and remove all the rivets/screws/fasteners - hopefully keeping the boards intact so you can use it as a template. This in itself can be a significant amount of work, especially if you find that screws/rivets are rusted in and have to be ground in or drilled out. I still have some screws that will have to be cut out or drilled out because they are so badly rusted in.

Once you do all that, you may find: gas in the foam; gas leaks (which means a new fuel system); the foam is rotten; you may find leaks you didn't expect or damage to the hull that wasn't visible to the outside. You are looking at the cost for the foam (which may be expensive). You will likely find that the stringers need to be replaced - and let's face it - if you have done all this work of stripping the boat, you will want to do the stringers. You will probably find that the transom needs to be replaced. The mounts on the motors may also be rotten - which will mean lifting the motor and replacing them. You can't (or won't want to), simply put in a blank plywood floor, as it will rot quickly - you will need to epoxy the plywood. Even if you just paint the top of it, you are looking at expenses for all of this. And do you really want to do all this work, just to do a half-****sed repair?

Expenses wise, you are looking at:
- plywood for the floors - figure 3-4 4x8 sheets - $120 assuming you use cheap non-marine plywood, and closer to $500 if you use marine plywood
- plywood for the transom - $25-$70
- epoxy or another sealant for the wood (around $100 plus, depending on what you buy)
- new foam - $200
- waterproof glues to laminate a transom - $20
- new stringers $80
- fiberglass and resin for the new stringers - $350
- new fasteners/screws $30
- paint or marine carpet/vinyl for the floor..... $80 (assuming you go cheap).

So ballpark for all of this - assuming you do a real, real cheap fixup, as fast as possible, is $1200. If you do this properly (new upholstery, new seats, new side panels, new carpet, new trim), you are looking $3500-$7000, depending on what you do. The ballpark figures are all numbers I worked out from looking at other threads (trying to work out what I may have to spend on a future restore). My numbers may be off - and may be low. Other more experienced users can doubtless correct me.

And after all of this......you will still have the old torn apart seats, ripped up side panels, to put back in....plus the mechanical problems.

Don't get me wrong - restoration is fun and worthwhile, and a great learning experience. But it only makes sense if, at the end of the day, you are going to have a better boat than you would get by spending a similar amount of cash.

If you look at the restoration threads, you will find that most of the boats being restored have something going for them. They either have real sentimental value, or a good working engine (plus a solid hull and all equipment). If you were saying that the motor and mechanical equipment was good, this would be worth the time and energy of a restore, but what you are indicating is that everything on this boat is basically junk. What is really scary from a restorers perspective is it clearly hasn't been looked after. The owner had some personal issues and simply stored the boat outside which means the PO didn't take care of it at all - so you can be reasonably confident that the boat wasn't properly winterized - meaning you may have rust in the interior of the engine, old oil used to run it etc. etc. etc..

The only thing that seems good on this boat is the hull - so to me, the only way this makes sense is if you do a total restore - ripping out the insides and the engine - and replacing with new or nearly new. But the cost of that will be $10-$15k.

If you are set on restoring a boat - I say go for it - but I would troll craigslist for a while until you find a boat that makes more sense than this one. If you are desperate to get on the water now, buy a cheap tinny and get out and have fun, then look for your 'long-term' boat at your leisure.

Having said all this - if you decide to go for the restore, post lots of pictures. There are a lot of good people with good ideas on this forum.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm not suggesting to rebuild it, but if you really want to keep the boat....

1- Check oil and drive lube, not contaminated and full (not over full). See if engine will move, turn.
2- Put a starter on it, replace fresh water pump impeller, fresh fuel, muffs on the drive, turn on the water and see if it will fire up and run OK, check for water flow out of drive.
3- Check fluids again, not milky or contaminated. Check for water leaks on engine.
4- Start engine and check forward and reverse shifting of drive, goes in gear, sounds OK. Watch engine temp gauge.
5- Replace circulation water pump and other maintenance things, engine oil, drive lube.
6- Thoroughly check all systems are operational, steering, electrical, trailer, safety gear.
7- With it looking like it stepped out of the movie Mad Max, haul it down the the lake and take it for a test run to make sure the engine and drive work.
8- Bring home, park it, start tearing into the hull and cosmetics.

If any step does not pass the test, stop and figure out what the problem is. Ask yourself if you want to continue with it, is it worth it... replacing a blown drive, cracked block, leaky manifolds, etc.$$$$$ Who know's, maybe it's mechanically sound outside of a few minor issues.

Engine parts need to be "marine" rated, even if they cost 3x more. (IE: non-marine starter could blow up boat, non-marine water pump will rust steel impeller)

Side story. My buddy bought a boat in similar condition to yours for $200-300, project. Gutted it, nice paint job, new interior, top of the line fittings, tuned it up and hauled it to the lake. It was a great looking boat! Problem was, he never checked the drive and it was blown, after $1900 of drive repairs, he finally got to use it......

Second side story. I bought it off of him a couple years later for $1000, his asking price. Too many gremlins and he didn't trust it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I think pckeen's list is a good starting point, but i would guess it's quite a bit less than the costs you'd actually incur. For example, I'd be surprised if you could fiberglass the boat for half of the $350 he quotes.

Unless you want a big project with a big price tag - and still have a boat with an obsolete drive train - I can't understand why you wouldn't unload this thing the first chance you get.

I just finished a less ambitious restoration, and it required a couple hundred hours of work and lots of money. Your boat is in much rougher shape.

Good luck!

jim

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I am about 90% sure I will just sell this as soon as I can. I have some time to think about it as I am still waiting for the old owner to bring me the title. He works out of town a lot so catching up to him is sometimes difficult. Was thinking of dragging it out of the storage yard and to my house. I have an old water pump for a chevy in my garage that I can test with. I think I have a friend that has an old starter laying around. I know these are not marine grade but I am just using them to start the engine. With all the fluids verified and motor that starts and runs and a verifiable drive train I can make a more educated decision.

I am new to boats and I read the comment about a car starter possibly blowing up a boat. I can only assume this is because of the possibility of a spark on in an enclosed compartment with the presents of gasoline. Is this correct. I know the water pump / circulation pump has a more durable impeller. I have also read that you can buy the impeller for the water pump and not change the hole thing. Is this information all correct?

I am still leaning towards selling it but I have time to tinker and learn on it. There is a set of earmuffs in the boat for the water supply.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

there are two water pumps... the one you know about and then the impeller you buy is for the other one

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where is the replaceable impeller at? Is there a downloadable manual for this?

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is my thread, I started almost a month ago.I thought it was just a deck replacement until i started drilling holes in stringers and transom and realized the saying is true. A boat rots from the bottom up. I started pricing materials and i'm in the ball park of 1500 or so. with out carpet or gel coat. i'm figuring on another two to three months to go, and i think that is optimistic. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/bayliner-bowrider-rebuild-609573.html

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be a happy boater and buy a boat you can use now. Sell that one to the first guy hat comes along with cash as is. Use the money as a down payment.

I would do the same...

For me, its more than "MY cost and time". Fixing a boat that needs more than outer TLC or minor fixings takes time away from my wife and kids. As one continues to "work on the boat" under shop lights, during limited Saturday & Sundays and after work, one starts to ask one's self WHY? Why am I doing it? Is time away from my wife / kids creating more hurt than good? If wondering, my father worked all his life. When I looked back in life today, I think of him working. We never did things with his family members together because he was too busy working. Working on his many "make work" projects. And, today I refuse to apply the same hurt against my wife and kids. Thus, why I only buy things that only need minor fixings. No more "major" rebuilds in my life...

As other stated... Run away and use dollars on a down payment for a boat in much better condition...

robopath

Seaman Apprentice

Great post Batman99. For me, its one of reasons that I bought a new boat this time instead of used. I only get a 20 day stretch on the water each year and waiting 5 days for a part would eliminate 1/4 of my family's enjoyment. When they are off to college, I'll have time for projects.
OP: this board loves to spend other peoples money. If you decide to find a more water-ready boat, just state your budget and location. You'll get links within an hour.