Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like the cable winch idea because of the built in brake in both directions, no matter what system you use are you considering a manual failsafe that would keep it from falling in the event of a failure? Something like a slidebar lock on a motorcycle lift that you have to hold unlocked while it is raising or lowering. You could also maybe use a threaded rod working thru a kept nut in the assembly for raising and lowering the platform, then there would be less chance of a freefall. Just some things to think about......

Pusher

Lieutenant
I like it, should work out nicely, only issue I'm seeing is the length of stroke needed. The trim pump has some great control but not much stroke. Shorting it to lift that distance and having enough mechanical advantage to start going up I'm looking as the main point. Another thought with the hydraulic cylinder you will need an access panel to get at it if it fails in the down position.

A engine hatch lift has a drive which can extend 18 to 24 inches, and capacity in the 90 to 115 Kg. The hatch actuator needs a bit more room due to the size. I removed one off my Cruiser because it could be no longer used after the motor repower. It has a bar mechanism that allows the hatch to be raised manually or with the motor. Will get some pics and show how it works.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-30-18-inch-stroke-electric-hatch-actuator.aspx

Another method is a winch cable. The winch would be mounted behind the bulk head at least half the distance. The cable could be attached to the center. So gravity brings it down and motor up. Having a cable would also allow the lift to be manually raised if needed. Issues would be the cable would be seen coming out of bulkhead when lift is down. Could mount it down low, but then I see the need of some sort of radius lever to apply leverage.

This one would be pretty simple to do with a cheap auto winch. You'd already have the right speed, forward reverse controls and a very replaceable peice of hardware.

How about automotive air shocks?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Garage door opener under platform shorten the shaft use a screw shaft if you can

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks for all the ideas guy's plenty to think about over the winter, at the moment winter is what I'm preparing for :) so I fitted the stand pipe and fuel pump and the D2 diesel night heater.

Nice and cosy :)

I'm still trying to get as much done outside before the weather gets too bad so I gave the bottom a coat of Hempel underwater primer.

At the moment I'm cleaning up some mahogany planks to make the rub rails.

For this I'm using and old INCA combination tool that I restored and it's doing the job just fine.

Attachments

• photo254456.jpg
    photo254456.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254457.jpg
    photo254457.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Had to do some searching on Airtonic to find your unit, there are several companies from assault weapons to radio controls. That is a nice little heater and doesn't use much fuel. Looks like only item left to install is the air intake

20161021_092108_zpswfynggv3.jpg

The wood is coming out nice, she is going to look great, a real classy lady on the water

The worst part about this thread is sooner or later photobucket will change something and then your pics will disappear again as it did in the beginning.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got two coats of primer on the bottom and sides, starting to look like a nice boat if I don't mind saying so myself :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
how is that platform on rear mounted? seems like a lot of cantilevered weight out there.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a while as I had a little heart attack :) Back at it now fitting out the stern of the boat.

And I also fitted a bow thruster.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the heart attack, glad your feeling better.

This is a great job, and the vid is great. Real nice work using the rebar