Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here she is my next little project :) she is a Richardson Roving Gem that I hope to convert to take the wheelchair, I'm going to need all the help I can get with this so feel free to offer what you have :rolleyes: I'm going to try and get her moved to Skerries and see if I can pick up a trailer to back her into a driveway as it's too tight to have a crane lift her in. So let me know what you think or any ideas you have. I must be mad :D

After a bit of a power wash

Inside all stripped out now I have a blank canvas.

This is what she looked like back in the 70's at least the new TV won't take up as much room:)

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Basic sort of layout if I can put the ramps in the sides, I would have to put in a lot of structural support in to stop it flexing.

Another option is to build a large swim platform and put double doors or a sliding door at the back, the platform would give access off the back or each side so if anyone has added a door to the transom I'd love to see photos or hear any info.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Hi, I apologize if the question sounds rude, is the wheelchair for you? The only reason I am asking is the impact on your plans to take on a project this size.

Last edited:

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I apologize if the question sounds rude, is the wheelchair for you? The only reason I am asking is the impact on your plans to take on a project this size.

No problem :) It's my wife and son that are in wheelchairs.

alldodge

Staff member
You going to take the boat to the ocean or big water like the great lakes? Thought is if the ramp is put in on the side, you would need to make a good seal to keeps waves from entering.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the swim platform idea.

May need to check the passageways width, or could you find smaller width wheelchairs??

following along.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
You going to take the boat to the ocean or big water like the great lakes? Thought is if the ramp is put in on the side, you would need to make a good seal to keeps waves from entering.

Just fresh water on the lakes and rivers of Ireland, I'm leaning more towards adding a swim platform and having a ramp from that to the dock. The floor level is a good bit above the water line so I think it will be ok.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the swim platform idea.

May need to check the passageways width, or could you find smaller width wheelchairs??

following along.

I was thinking of cutting an opening in the transom and then take of the back of the cabin and put in double door.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds good, then as stated doors or swim deck will need some stiffing in the hull. How thick is the hull sides and are there any ribs?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
You seem to have good design skills but I will say it anyway just in case, if you go with the swim platform, make sure you account for the turn radius for the chair and the back needs to be rail guarded, of course. While I do like the swim platform from visual standpoint, I think the side entry is more practical for this specific purpose unless you add some safety elements to the swimming platform design which will have some impact on the visual aspects of the design.

In any event, what are the plans , other than the entrance, for the vessel itself in terms of rebuilding. I also assuming you are re powering. True? If so, what is the current engine setup.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sean is not in North America. Quite a bit east Dodge.

Massive boat to haul up off the bottom Sean.... You recovered/salvaged it? Or it sank in the marina?

I suspect any ramp you add to the side of the boat will have to be electric or hydraulic, correct?

I'd suggest a typical articulating ADA access vehicle ramp. Hinges up in the middle so it isnt nearly as tall when stowed.
wheelchair-van-conversion-styles-in-floor-ramp-vs-fold-out-ramp2.png

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
The hull is very strong ex hire boat so built to take knocks :) I'm thinking of making the swim platform 4 foot wide a bit like a super yacht :D and run support timbers along the floor timbers on the inside fixed to the hull and out through the transom to support the platform. I don't think I go with an hydraulic ramp just a fold down or slide out.
Got the engine running as soon as she was lifted it's a BMC captain 2.4

Last edited:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very interesting project! I like the boat, and I really like the wheelchair accessibility aspect of it. I definitely want to follow along. I like the swim platform idea.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi, Sean.

When I saw the first pic, I thought you recovered the Crackerbox. But something didn't look right.

The swim platform is probably the way to give wheelchair access. You won't be restricted to docking with only one side against the dock. I attached one swim platform pic for an idea. The rails are an added safety factor and the platform would need to be wider, while the door isn't wide enough. The pic is of a Ranger Tug R-31 S and they have other models here - http://www.rangertugs.com/models.aspx?itemid=2634&pagetitle=Build+A+Boat/Models

How did that big gal end up in the drink?

rt sp.PNG

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
I though I'd get a boat that has already done the sinking thing juts to get it out of the way :lol: The hunt for the crackerbox is still going on I haven't given up yet.
The owner passed away and the rain filled her up. That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of with the door in the middle.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Platform should really be 5ft or nearly 5ft to supply necessary turming radius for a wheelchair and/or someone pushing the chair...

Good luck looks like the hull cleaned up great

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Cool ole boat,.... The hardtop might complicate the wheelchair thing, or not,....

It appears the deck is well above the waterline in all but yer 1st picture,.....
So the door shouldn't be an issue,.....

I Do like the idea of a huge swim platform, 'n stern door,....

I ain't seen much at the local marinas for wheelchairs, but alota step-platforms for those that move, but s l o w l y,......

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking of cutting it here at the widest point just where my left foot is and continue the floor out this should also help with the turning circle.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I though I'd get a boat that has already done the sinking thing juts to get it out of the way :lol:

Now that's planning! LOL I sure hope you find the sunken treasure instead of finding all the other boats!

Cutting out the steps down into the rear deck, a wider hatchway opening and a nice wide platform - I think that's going to do the trick.