Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little update,

Making a new dash with some old mahogany and ash inlay glued onto half inch ply.

There is something very satisfying about sanding old wood and bring it back to it's former glory.

I put a rim around it just a few mm proud and then filled it with epoxy resin and let it level out.

Now for any of you into the technical side of things :) My GPS from the other boat has a built in engine management system that runs off a NMEA 2000 backbone so with this I can do away with all the gauges and run every thing off this although I might just piggyback off the old gauges and keep them where the fuse panel is as a backup and to help calibrate the new ones, my only problem it that the NMEA runs off a digital signal sort of plug and play with all modern engines these days and my old BMC has analogue switches as digital wasn't even thought of back then :) to get around this I using an AlbaCombi to convert the signal http://www.albacombi.com/ with this I can read everything on the boat and add more if needed like water and waste tank levels.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most of the sanding done Just the top left to do now.

14441109_10205252322825966_2746397576066253964_n.jpg

I also fitted the swim platform and incapsulated it in fiberglass cloth and filled it with empty bottles and expanding foam to help it stay above the water when two people and the wheelchair are on it.

14479575_10205332731116123_8171103342527836709_n.jpg

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
And of course some blue lights :) I do like blue lights, Shame they won't be shining on crystal clear water.

14485134_10205332711515633_6117109881063227294_n.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
Had to subscribe :)

Pretty cool boat you're saving. And how cool to remove another barrier to living a normal life.

When I worked at the airport my boss had a winch he rigged to the rafters with a harness attached so his buddy could get hoisted into his airplane and bomb some clouds for a while.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice! How did you lag it to the transom?
KC

I ran the timbers through the transom and used the door frame as a counter leaver, some of the timbers are also fixed to the bottom of the hull and fiberglassed in place,

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the support guy's sometimes I think I have bitten off more than I can chew, I'm not sure if anyone is interested in how I'm going to do all this but here are some of my ideas, one is to lift from the upper level and just swing into the bunk with this arm.

I also built up a lift frame that will go from one level to the next that way I can pick him up from the lower level and lift him into bed.

I'm working on using an outboard tilt trim to power the lift, as always I'm open to any suggestions as this is all new to me.

alldodge

Staff member
I can understand how the 100kg lift will work, but the next two items are a bit unclear. The two piece scissor box is understandable, but not quite how it can handle the load or where it will be located.

Are you looking at something like motorcycle lift but much lighter?
Motorcycle-lift.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
Instead of making a lift to get to bed, could you turn the bed iteself into a lift so he and your wife can both be more independent?

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motorcycle lift is the type of thing I'm going for it's just to bring the wheelchair from one level to the next, I made the wooden mockup just to get my measurements before it was made in steal. My wife can still take a few steps and could manage to get into the forward cabin but down the line it will be much harder for her so better to have the lift in place.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I ran the timbers through the transom and used the door frame as a counter leaver, some of the timbers are also fixed to the bottom of the hull and fiberglassed in place,

Very nice construction! Wood work look s good. Keep it going Sean!
KC

alldodge

Staff member
I like it, should work out nicely, only issue I'm seeing is the length of stroke needed. The trim pump has some great control but not much stroke. Shorting it to lift that distance and having enough mechanical advantage to start going up I'm looking as the main point. Another thought with the hydraulic cylinder you will need an access panel to get at it if it fails in the down position.

A engine hatch lift has a drive which can extend 18 to 24 inches, and capacity in the 90 to 115 Kg. The hatch actuator needs a bit more room due to the size. I removed one off my Cruiser because it could be no longer used after the motor repower. It has a bar mechanism that allows the hatch to be raised manually or with the motor. Will get some pics and show how it works.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-30-18-inch-stroke-electric-hatch-actuator.aspx

Another method is a winch cable. The winch would be mounted behind the bulk head at least half the distance. The cable could be attached to the center. So gravity brings it down and motor up. Having a cable would also allow the lift to be manually raised if needed. Issues would be the cable would be seen coming out of bulkhead when lift is down. Could mount it down low, but then I see the need of some sort of radius lever to apply leverage.

lift Mech.jpg

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for that, I have a few actuators to mess around with :) made a mockup of this one today and it seemed to work ok.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey, not bad, I like it. Do you know what the load capability is?