Couple questions....72 25hp

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone....1st post...I'm sure they'll be a million more..LOL.

Okay, picked up a 70 Lund tri hull, with a 72 Johnson 25hp electric start.
Model 25e72R

Haven't gone totally through her yet, but she did run for a short time.
Compression is 125 on both cylinders....need to order a carb kit, as well as the plastic small filter over the fuel pump, has a crack in it.

Impeller, or maybe the whole pump housing, we'll see....looks like somebody turned this into a long shaft, if that's possible.....has a blue "section" in between the two green halves.

Anyways where I was getting....sorry, winded post, but what in the world is the lean and rich knob for on the front of the motor..."slow speed" written under the knob...

Also, is the instrument cable impossible to find??? I'd like to use the electric start....and have some power available....( 1 amp at 4k rpm)...better than a kick in the head..LOL....

Has anybody "rigged" up their own cable setup??

And, is there anywhere I can get a "operators manual" for this thing....I have two manuals on the computer, but they don't say much on operation.

I'll see if I can figure out putting up some pics on here....again, AWESOME wealth of info here...THANK YOU!!!!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Couple questions....72 25hp

To adjust the slow speed properly read Joe Reeves section on carb adjustment at the top of this forum (might be in the top secret area)

What do you mean by instrument cable? Do you mean the wiring harness?

And welcome to the forum.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wiring harness that hooks to the motor and lets you key start the motor....
I think it's called the instrument cable.

I think it's weird that you can adjust your mixture on the fly on this motor....guess I've got a lot to learn lol..

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics of boat...

2010-10-22114414.jpg

2010-04-05093453.jpg

Sorry if they are gargantuan...

jasper60103

Commander

The wiring harness that hooks to the motor and lets you key start the motor....
I think it's called the instrument cable.

I think it's weird that you can adjust your mixture on the fly on this motor....guess I've got a lot to learn lol..

That's a nice rig. It's currently setup for tiller operation.

Just to clarify, do you want to setup your motor for remote operation, i.e. steering console? I'm sure someone here can help you out with that, but it will cost you some change $$ though. Else, you can just add a battery/cable to use the electric start feature (assuming the starter is still there).

Also, you mentioned that you want a operator's manual. If you want to work/maintain your motor yourself, then you want to get a service or repair manual, and try to find a OMC service manual specific to your motor. You can sometimes find a deal on ebay. Else, ken Cook will have it for sure.

If you're not sure how to start your motor, follow the starting procedure here.

You mentioned adjusting mixer on the fly? Fuel mix is done when you fill your gas tank. Get yourself a fuel mix bottle, only cost a few bucks. 50:1 is the gas/oil ratio required for your engine. You also need TCW3 outboard motor oil.

Also, the Top Secret Files has helpful info and maintenance tips.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions. -jasper

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do want to keep it a tiller....there's a plug that plugs into the front of the motor that you hook to a battery....that lets you start electrically....apparently it was just an option though, and it's discontinued now :(

I have manuals on the cpu for just about every year and model johnson.....thank you torrents lol....
I just like to have papers for everything.....even the advertisements.

And the motor also has a "slow speed" knob to lean or richen the motor on the fly.....no screwdriver needed.....boat guy said it's more for easy elevation changes, temp changes etc...

jasper60103

Commander

I do want to keep it a tiller....there's a plug that plugs into the front of the motor that you hook to a battery....that lets you start electrically....apparently it was just an option though, and it's discontinued now :(

I have manuals on the cpu for just about every year and model johnson.....thank you torrents lol....
I just like to have papers for everything.....even the advertisements.

And the motor also has a "slow speed" knob to lean or richen the motor on the fly.....no screwdriver needed.....boat guy said it's more for easy elevation changes, temp changes etc...

Ok, I follow you. Yea, that cable harness may be hard to come by. I sold one not long ago. But you can make a battery cable and add a simple push button start switch to your motor. edit: Is there one there already? Also, please takes some pics under the hood.

As far as the ss needle, don't make any adjustments unless needed. If adjustments are needed, read the HOW DO I ADJUST MY CARBS? under the Top Secret File.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All clean, and mixture knob...
2010-10-26134557.jpg

2010-10-26134608.jpg

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a dumb lower unit question too....i know the full and drain screws should be flat....stamped into the higher hole says oil level.......now down low theres only a phillips head screw,near three verticle screws....possible the p.o. put a phillips in?
I don't want to remove the bad screw ive heard about.

Motor seems to have been made into a long shaft if that's possible.......starts off green, then a blue section, then green again down by the prop...

Will Bark

Lieutenant

I can't really answer your question but Do Not remove any phillips head screw until you can post a picture of what youre talking about an someone will guide you on which screw to remove. If PO did substitute a phillips for a flat head he didn't do anybody a favor.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol.....i know! I definitely won't.
I'll get a picture up close.....i think that has to be it...theres no other drain screw that I can tell....

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, the fill plug should be a slot head screw.

Thanks for the pics, that helps clarify things.
Too bad the previous owner didn't have the cable harness.
Anyway, it looks like you'll need to add a battery cable, start button and stop button.
I will try to post some pics and/or wiring diagrams later, but maybe someone else will chime in sooner.

Btw, nice clean boat and motor.

lindy46

Captain

It has an electric choke solenoid, so it must have been set up for remote start. But you could add push button start right on the motor, and a push button kill switch. That's how my 1972 18hp Evinrude is set up, but without electric choke. You really don't need electric choke if you're starting it at the motor.

jasper60103

Commander

yes, I agree with Lindy. Here's a simple diagram showing the battery, starter, solenoid and a push button start. Please excuse my rough drawing. I will try to take some pics of my motor later, but this gives you an idea.

starterwiring-1.jpg

JGeiman2

Seaman Apprentice

In the first pic there, the black lock-out lever to the left of the flywheel. What exactly is that used for? My 73 25 hp johnson doesn't have it, and I am having trouble with the motor idling and getting it to idle while coming off of WOT.

Sorry to veer of your post GARZILLA...:( I'm just having trouble.
By the way, I dont have the harness either and I just ran cables to the battery and then hooked up an ignition switch and a choke switch. There is a Push choke switch for under $40 that could start the engine and you just push the button to choke. I'm thinking about doing that on mine, so you can have a handle on the tiller to throttle up if needed.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Motors not in front of me ....but I think that's for when you're in neutral, stops the throttle from going too far.......and when you're in drive, it moves out of the way....don't quote me though.

Thanks jasper btw!

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That schematic made more sense to me now.....I had an idea of how to go about it....my only hangup is getting power to the solenoid....but still keeping it removable fairly easily.

DAMN I NEED THAT PLUG!!!!! LOL

I was almost thinking about taking out the plug on the motor side, and replacing with almost like a trailer plug...but with bigger gauge wire..you want electric start....plug it in, hit the button and go.....get home and want to take the motor off the boat....unplug, unscrew from transom, and PEACE!!

I can't come up with a decent plug to use....except for the original, which might as well be a unicorn.

I also thought about some type of bus bar setup....only hangup on that is the motor is metal, and isolating it would be a pain I think.....unless I extend the solenoid wires to come OUT of the motor, and down to where the battery, and switch would be.....WAAAAIIIITTTTT..........VIOLA!!!!!!!

Just might work.......LOL

jasper60103

Commander

I think F_R knew of a place that actually sell plugs like that, but I can't recall. You may want to send him a PM and ask.