Could not see the skiers because of bow...

Nandy

Commander
Re: Could not see the skiers because of bow...

Lately it seems to have become fashionable to operate a boat at half throttle with the engine trimmed up to create as much wake as possible. Most of the time when doing that, the bow will cover the horizon, and you are basically driving blind. Seems to me that's wreckless driving, but what do I know.

That is exactly how that dumb***** was driving when he hit me and the kids a few years back. I am in a the cobia from the signature, very high boat, a big ar$e blue bimini top and he never saw me... Can you expect someone to see a down skier that way? If he skier dont have his ski up it is just a coconut floating in the water.....

DaNinja

Lieutenant

So much of this is beyond my ablity to imagine. How many errors had to pile up to actually run over your own skiers.
.... I just can't put together how many things had to go wrong for this to occur.

Nor can I. The excuse the bow was in the way simply makes no sense at all. That's like saying I had my eyes closed and coudn't see very well.

My spotter is usually my wife.
That is her only task. No picture taking. No conversations with guests. Nothing but watching the tuber or skier.
I only respond to commands from her. All the "Whoas!" "OOOhhhs" "Aieehs!" and similar loud cheers mean nothing.

The same applies when I'm the spotter and she's driving.

When she says "DOWN!" I immediately go to idle (in case they are still holding the handle, which has happened)
We then clear ourselves and turn around. I proceed back at a quick idle (flat, no plow), putting the skier/tuber on the driver side where I can see them.

With this as our routine, I have a hard time seeing where that could breakdown to the point of running over my guest.

salty87

Commander

agree that the story and apparent lack of charges don't add up.

i'd like to take the opportunity to suggest a better way to protect your skier/boarder/etc. after they fall. if you/spotter are diligently watching and see the rider fall, drop off plane immediately. the closer you are to your swimmer, the better. if you swing way out at full or near throttle, you've distanced yourself and created the need to haul *** back. in the rush to get back, you're also churning up the water for every skier/boarder in the area not to forget your swimmer.

it's so easy to drop off plane, turn a tight u-turn with only your momentum, and idle back to the swimmer. you're blocking that path for any boats behind you so even though they may not see the swimmer they will see your boat and veer off. if they don't, you're close and can speed up if necessary. if boats from other directions are approaching, boogy back a little faster.

huge sweeping 180's leave the swimmer out there alone and churn the area.

swimmer on driver side is def. the safest.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

agree that the story and apparent lack of charges don't add up.

i'd like to take the opportunity to suggest a better way to protect your skier/boarder/etc. after they fall. if you/spotter are diligently watching and see the rider fall, drop off plane immediately. the closer you are to your swimmer, the better. if you swing way out at full or near throttle, you've distanced yourself and created the need to haul *** back. in the rush to get back, you're also churning up the water for every skier/boarder in the area not to forget your swimmer.

it's so easy to drop off plane, turn a tight u-turn with only your momentum, and idle back to the swimmer. you're blocking that path for any boats behind you so even though they may not see the swimmer they will see your boat and veer off. if they don't, you're close and can speed up if necessary. if boats from other directions are approaching, boogy back a little faster.

huge sweeping 180's leave the swimmer out there alone and churn the area.

swimmer on driver side is def. the safest.

Closer to the swimmer is another good reason to drop off plane quickly.

Still can't understand how this accident happens, even without a spotter and just a mirror.