Boat still winterized...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I can't believe its almost April and my boat is still under its winter wrap up.

Between the job search that is going no where and days of rain that feels like it never ends the poor boat is still up on blocks...:rolleyes:

I used Stabil in the fuel but only had 1/2 of tank..(when gas was over 4 bucks when i parked it)
Guess i need to get it full of fuel before too much longer..gas hit 2.02 today.
It will take 40 to 50 gallons to top off.

Should i mix with fresh or run out whats in it first?
I was thinking throw in some Seafoam and fill her up...:)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat still winterized...

I had the same scenario last season with the fuel. I just filled her up and all was well. The stabil kept the older stuff fresh and the new gas just diluted it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats kinda the way i was leaning..

I did get the energy up and went out an re-packed my wheel bearings today.
Bought a new spare tire and wheel. Northern Tool had them on sale for 69 bucks.Good deal for a tire and rim...:D
My old spare was a different size but would do just to get it home.
Half the time i would forget to put it in the truck...lol.
This one is mounted to the trailer,just got to get a lock for it.

Nandy

Commander

Hey Garry, I guess I beat you to it. Took it to Mountain Island Lake with my dad and son for a short cruise. Water is still too cold for my taste. That time water was 54 deg. My son insisted in getting in the water so I beached the boat and let him walk into the water... It took 2 seconds for him to jump out of it... LOL! Let me know when are you going to start going out, I might be able to meet you in the water... you have to slow down for me though... :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yesterday was great. Got my bellows and boots changed. Planned today to start the old girl up And it was windy 40*F then it................Rained,,,sun,,,,,rain,,,,,sun,,,,,,,sleet,,,,,sun,,,,,,rain,,,,,sun,,,,,,then finally at dusk,,,,,SNOW......

Wasn't a total loss, went to Lowes and got some carpet for the cabin.

I figure I might as well spend my money now before too much printing gets out of hand :D

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

SS I hope you didn't strain yourself.Light duty right????

angus63

Captain

Unwrapped the vessel today and poked around. Tonight we had about 1/2" of pea sized hail make a mess of everything. Shoulda waited till next week.

zach103

Commander

the larsons at my house now few minor adjustments. cleaning the engine. lubricating everything all that waiting for it to warm up so more

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Hey Garry, I guess I beat you to it. Took it to Mountain Island Lake with my dad and son for a short cruise. Water is still too cold for my taste. That time water was 54 deg. My son insisted in getting in the water so I beached the boat and let him walk into the water... It took 2 seconds for him to jump out of it... LOL! Let me know when are you going to start going out, I might be able to meet you in the water... you have to slow down for me though... :)

Nandy,54 degree water is freakin cold on bare skin...:eek:
I bet he did get right back in the boat...:D

I think this week after the rain mid-week they are calling for i'm going to unwrap it and fire it up on the muffs.
It has not been started since i had the power head and lower unit off.
I replaced a lot of gaskets on the motor so it needs a good test run.
I hope it purrs..:D

Hey we should start hitting Crappie in the next few weeks..need to hook up one day.My other half hates to fish so i got plenty of room..

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We are holding off till mid April. Mrs Ken and myself are off to Jamaica on Friday for 10 days so I won't be back home till 14th. Hopefully unwrap it all the following weekend, fire her up on muffs then off for a tryout run. Unless of course it snows again like it did last night !!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gary, i filled the toon Thanksgiving weekend, ran it once in December. took it out yesterday, started right up, no problems. wanted to make sure it was fine to go to Lake Griffin for the Florida Campout. now i have to get the Gheenoe out, and test it.

i'm going to lay the Gheenoe on it's side in the toon, and take it with us.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Northern Tool had them on sale for 69 bucks

Where is there a Northern Tool nearby? I need a spare as well and that is a great deal! 14"?

EDIT: Wow do I feel silly! There is one 10 miles from my house! Lived here 3 years and never knew! Goodbye Harbor Freight, your store here is nasty anyhow!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Where is there a Northern Tool nearby? I need a spare as well and that is a great deal! 14"?

EDIT: Wow do I feel silly! There is one 10 miles from my house! Lived here 3 years and never knew! Goodbye Harbor Freight, your store here is nasty anyhow!
Mine was the largest 13 inch...not sure but i think the 14's were on sale too.
485 to 74 east...about one block on the left...;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

SS I hope you didn't strain yourself.Light duty right????

Actually I was being a teacher showing my son in law and grandson how to do it. Nothing like hands on for a person that wants to learn.

I'm taking it easy. Had a docs appointment last Friday. He said he didn't cut through my ab muscle, but he separated it to aid in a faster recovery. I've been off the pain meds since last Wednesday. No soreness or pain now at all. Just glad it is pretty much over with. Now to get those other tests done that is recommended for us male folk. Better safe than being laid up wishing I was on the boat :D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Best of luck SS...hope the other tests go easy..
Take it easy and be healed for boating season..:D

Nandy

Commander

Nandy,54 degree water is freakin cold on bare skin...:eek:
I bet he did get right back in the boat...:D

Hey we should start hitting Crappie in the next few weeks..need to hook up one day.My other half hates to fish so i got plenty of room..

Heck, that boy stepped in the water and jumped back like a wet cat!!! LOL! It was funny but I warned him. At least I did not let him jumped from the boat...

I was in high rock last weekend picking up a few parts in a house at the lake. Crappie was hitting hard I heard but the lake was dirty big time. Anyway, I dont get to fish anymore as everyone wants to jump in the lake and do their thing so fishing trip would be great! My schedule will be my problem... Is so complicated. We will make it fit!

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya im just getting started for this season. yesterday was my first real day, went for 6 hours just bombing around. really nice out and the old outboard ran like a dream. i spent the last couple weeks getting it ready, new nav lights, wiring galore, new fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, new impeller, leg oil, tuned her up and she ran like a dream. i went out for an hour last week just to check it out and she had a few minor issues but all is good now. just have to install my new stereo :)
Cant wait for next weekend. going boat camping with a couple friends for my birthday. hope the weather is good.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

ya im just getting started for this season. yesterday was my first real day, went for 6 hours just bombing around. really nice out and the old outboard ran like a dream. i spent the last couple weeks getting it ready, new nav lights, wiring galore, new fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, new impeller, leg oil, tuned her up and she ran like a dream. i went out for an hour last week just to check it out and she had a few minor issues but all is good now. just have to install my new stereo :)
Cant wait for next weekend. going boat camping with a couple friends for my birthday. hope the weather is good.

Sounds good beachcomber...:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Heck, that boy stepped in the water and jumped back like a wet cat!!! LOL! It was funny but I warned him. At least I did not let him jumped from the boat...

I was in high rock last weekend picking up a few parts in a house at the lake. Crappie was hitting hard I heard but the lake was dirty big time. Anyway, I dont get to fish anymore as everyone wants to jump in the lake and do their thing so fishing trip would be great! My schedule will be my problem... Is so complicated. We will make it fit!

High rock is always muddy this time of year.Stumps and floating trees too..:eek:

I'll hook up with ya in the next couple weeks and we will ride over to Tillery,
Much cleaner water this time of year.
This weekend i'll get it uncovered and fired up.I hope we get some good weather soon...sick of this rain every dang weekend!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm happy now. I put the plugs in the block/manifolds, hooked up the muffs, turned the battery switch on, hit the key and she fired right off :D Couldn't believe it started on the old gas from last October that was left in the carb so easy. We pulled the fresh water pump apart and checked the impeller, shifter cable install/adjusted, fresh drive oil, and all looks good for launch in April. Will go tomorrow to pay for the slip. I always like to make sure the motor runs and the outdrive turns before paying for a nonrefundable slip.

Now its time to go with the Mrs to pick out material for new curtains. Was a bit embarrassing last year when one of the dockmates said that my privacy curtains wasn't so private. OOOOPS!

I had to pull all the block/manifold plugs to winterized the engine as the temps are going down again tonight in the mid 20's. To close to chance it :D