Sea Tow??

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I am getting ready for our annual trip down to the North Captiva area on the gulf. Most (99%) of our boating will be done in the sound in relativly shallow waters. I have never had tow insurance while I was down there in the past but started thinking a bit more about it this year.

Is this something i should have? does anyone know if you can just buy 2 weeks worth? We dont really have anything like that up here (at least not that I know of ) so I am not very familiar with the process
comments or suggestions??

Woodee

P.I.F. you have a message

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea Tow??

Boats break down in shallow water too ;)

I've had unlimited towing (up to 75 miles offshore) for the past 10 years. Only had to use it twice in that time. Could have made it back in under my own power but figured I pay for it I might as well use it.

The fist time I called the bill would have been a little over $750. This spring when I had fuel problems the bill was $625. Those two instances paid for my last 10 years of towing dues. Money well spent. I will never leave the dock without it.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude, the Sea Tow is dirt cheap as it is, I doubt they sell two weeks, you can buy a full year for less than 150 dollars. That will be CHEAP compared to not having it when you need a tow.

I will tow people a short distance or tow them clear of danger where they can set an anchor or take them off if sinking but I am not a tow service and I will not spend my valuable day towing people around. I think more and more, you need tow insurance. It is almost irresponsible on big water to be without, down at the mill pond, yeah, in the ocean, no.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have insurance on your boat? If so, check your policy. I have progressive which covers towing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do you have insurance on your boat? If so, check your policy. I have progressive which covers towing.

Towing is an option with Progressive. I have Progressive and opted to go with Towboat because Progressive makes you pay out of pocket then reimburses you. With Towboat I just sign the slip and it's over with.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check towboat's and seatow's sites, look at there coverage area where you will be boating. each company does not cover all areas. it is worth it's weight in gold, when you need it. we just go rid of our I/O, it just got towed too many times, to keep us pleased.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

we just got rid of our I/O, it just got towed too many times, to keep us pleased.

Whoa whoa WHAT? The Chris Craft is gone? What will be it's replacement? And just how big and E-Tech will it have on it?? :)

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have BoatUS for towing. All of our boating is inland, so I don't know if there are different costs to include offshore. Our annual cost is $53. That's unlimited distance to get you and take you to YOUR ramp or marina, free you from sand bars, give you a jump and even bring out fuel (only have to pay for the cost of fuel).

Our 17' bowrider and 22' cuddy runs the same amount.

Good luck and have a great time! :cool:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

sounds like cheap insurance for ones holidays

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the relplies, I agree that 150 bucks is pretty cheap insurance for 2 weeks holidays and there are a lot of sand bars and shallow water in the sound. I would probably be braver regarding distance if I had the ins..

There are just the 2? Seatow and Boatus? Towboats?

thanks again!

loco boater

Cadet

Yes!!! On our third trip out we had issues in the ICW. We had to be towed less than a mile, cost 125. Sea tow cost what 115 or so for a year.