Towing with my van

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing with my van

For now it'll just be one toy until we replace the van with maybe a full size.

Look at the newer Safari or Astros... (Chev/GM) I think they still make 'em? They had a tow rating of like 5,000lb. I think the honda odyssey is also similar, my brother tows his big boat with it..... I forget the rating, but I recall it was high?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If the tow rating for both are somewhat close...........
I would rather pull a trailer with an empty unibody minivan versus an empty full frame mini truck.

I'm with you and that was my point.

Maybe we should all be towing with the truck below to be as absolutely safe as we can be when towing.

Attachments

• cxt.jpg
    cxt.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with you and that was my point.

Maybe we should all be towing with the truck below to be as absolutely safe as we can be when towing.

I hope to own a boat someday that would warrant that tow rig... :D

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I did say I would not recommend it, however, I also said that if you plan to do it often, upgrade the vehicle. If it will brake your heart to not take both toys, by all means use the van and take it, I would. Just be safe and smart. Plan extra travel time and do not get in a hurry... You will be okay for an ocassional trip...

Philster

Captain

Wow, how friendly. In the name of safety that's why I'm here asking others about it.

I've decided against towing...I've heard three different towing capacity rating from three different places. For now it'll just be one toy until we replace the van with maybe a full size.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

If you get on the road, and you are dangerous despite warnings, then I need not be friendly. If you aren't getting on the road and creating a dangerous situation, then the comment need not apply to you.

So, to anyone overloading and convincing themselves it's ok, please stay off my roads.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

A Ranger (for example) has a real frame (not a unibody)... some Rangers even come with a class 3 hitch from the factory. Last time I walked thru a dealership I didn't see ANY class 3's on the soccer mom mobiles (maybe I over-looked them). Towing with a passenger car/mini-van is a joke compared to a framed truck (even small trucks). I've towed with both aswell. ;)

Towing within a couple hundred pounds of any vehicles limit is not safe.... or smart.

I had a Ranger extended cab V-6 and like I said the T&C minivan I sold last spring towed better. Do either tow as well as my 2003 Duramax? Hell no, but the original question was could he tow safely and to that I still say a resounding yes provided the van is rated for the load. As for the tow/load limit and towing within a couple hundred pounds of it, what is your justification for this extra couple hundred pounds margin compared to what the manufacturer says. If you are going to answer common sense, then common sense would say not towing at all is safer with any vehicle, but its hard to get the boat from the house to the water without towing. The manufacturers list a safe towing allowance based on the vehicle that THEY built, that THEY have to warranty, and that THEY have some liability in. Do you really think that they are going to list an unsafe limit, especially on a vehicle whose primary design is not towing. The manufacturers limits are the limits, not 100, 200, 500 pounds below what they say. Just because YOU think otherwise doesn't change that. I get tired of people saying you can't do what the manufacturer says you can. Will the vehicle wear faster? Of course, but that doesn't make it unsafe. If properly equipped and not driven like a jackass, a minivan can definitely tow safely.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Look at the newer Safari or Astros... (Chev/GM) I think they still make 'em? They had a tow rating of like 5,000lb. I think the honda odyssey is also similar, my brother tows his big boat with it..... I forget the rating, but I recall it was high?

The old safaris and astros I believe were body on frame or at least rode like one. Though don't quote me on that. Those minivans were true mini vans which probably accounts for the greater towing capacity. The toyotas, hondas and dodges are more like oversized wagons. (Don't get wrong, I love my dodge for its utility factor.) For the odysseys, they have the same tow rating as the dodge/chrysler. I know this for sure because when I bought my dodge grand caravan, i did comparisons.

BTW, here is a quote from cars.com of tow ratings for those dodge/chrysler owners and what the tow package includes: "The standard towing capacity is 1,800 pounds, but Grand Caravans with the 3.8-liter or 4.0-liter V-6 can pull up to 3,600 pounds when they're equipped with the Trailer Tow Group option package, which adds an upgraded radiator, engine oil cooler, heavy-duty transmission oil cooler, trailer wiring and rear automatic leveling."

Last edited:

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

df909 - First off.....Nice area code - I am a 909'er myself.....and proud of it!

I noticed in an earlier post you talking about driving behind your wife + boat. Just wanted to give you a piece of advice - keep a car inbetween your wife/boat and you. If something happens to the boat/wifes car, and it screws up YOUR car, your insurance will only pay for the wifes car/boat.

And they will try and get out of that - claiming insurance fraud, etc. This happened to a friend of mine - he was following his wife home, and he rear-ended her in traffic - Insurance did NOT cover it.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same van, garden variety no trailer package. Once I had to move a friends 19' boat with just two of us in the van, no fuel or gear in the boat. I looked up the boat and it was supposed to be 2500lbs (plus trailer of course). It was barely adequate.

I ran in drive, not overdrive, and really only comfortably held 60mph on flats, worse on hills. Handled fine, but I wouldnt do it regularly for sure. I did not launch the boat. I regularly pull a 1,000 lb fishing boat and on bad ramps it is tricky enough getting traction.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

most people here think you need a full size dually with a diesel to tow a 12' aluminum jon boat...

piper_chuck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've decided against towing...I've heard three different towing capacity rating from three different places. For now it'll just be one toy until we replace the van with maybe a full size.
I've towed with my 07 T&C, but not as much as you're looking at. Worked fine. I don't know the three sources, but the only ones I would trust would be what is written in the vehicle's owner manual and someone reading from a Chrysler document specific to your vehicle. Don't let people who are potentially passing along misimformation stop you from using the vehicle in one of the many ways it was designed.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I had a Ranger extended cab V-6 and like I said the T&C minivan I sold last spring towed better. Do either tow as well as my 2003 Duramax? Hell no, but the original question was could he tow safely and to that I still say a resounding yes provided the van is rated for the load. As for the tow/load limit and towing within a couple hundred pounds of it, what is your justification for this extra couple hundred pounds margin compared to what the manufacturer says. If you are going to answer common sense, then common sense would say not towing at all is safer with any vehicle, but its hard to get the boat from the house to the water without towing. The manufacturers list a safe towing allowance based on the vehicle that THEY built, that THEY have to warranty, and that THEY have some liability in. Do you really think that they are going to list an unsafe limit, especially on a vehicle whose primary design is not towing. The manufacturers limits are the limits, not 100, 200, 500 pounds below what they say. Just because YOU think otherwise doesn't change that. I get tired of people saying you can't do what the manufacturer says you can. Will the vehicle wear faster? Of course, but that doesn't make it unsafe. If properly equipped and not driven like a jackass, a minivan can definitely tow safely.

Wow... you must be having a bad day...lol.

People drive like idiots. Both towing and not towing. You can't trust that somebody is not going to pull out infront of you when your towing a boat thats exactly the max capacity with a vehicle designed to carry passengers.

When I had my Ranger, I bought a nice sized enclosed trailer to take racing (right on the limit of Fords advertised capacity). After one close call (a moron pulled out infront of me in the rain, brakes where useless), I decided to park that trailer until I could afford a real tow rig.

Towing at max capacity is ignorant. Your asking for problems with your vehicle, your safety and the safety of those you encounter on the roadway.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

If you get on the road, and you are dangerous despite warnings, then I need not be friendly. If you aren't getting on the road and creating a dangerous situation, then the comment need not apply to you.

So, to anyone overloading and convincing themselves it's ok, please stay off my roads.

And what exactly do you tow that 26'er that you have with....

Towing at max capacity is ignorant. Your asking for problems with your vehicle, your safety and the safety of those you encounter on the roadway.

If you tow everyday at max, I agree. If not, then it is not ignorant. Max capacity is what the vehicle will handle safely and still perform. Not perform like a race car or a turbo deisel, but it will perform as a safe level.

That said, you cannot account for every idiot on the road that does not pay attention to other drivers. All you can do is to drive defensively and be aware that driving while towing adds more risk (regardless of weight) and more responsibility on you. You cannot accelerate as quickly not stop as quickly. If others do not respect you, you cannot expect to avoid every situation... but do you best....

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Listen! I gotta say it! you should only be @ 70% of max tow capacity. If you want to buy a boat make sure you can you can buy, or have a vehicle that can tow it! if not buy a smaller boat! Most people buy a bigger boat that there vehicle can't handle, and then can't buy the proper vehicle to tow it! They'd rather have someone say...Oh yea! I do it! It can handle it! I drive down the road and see some outrageous idiots! and they put me and others in harms way, just so they don't have to buy the proper vehicle. Mini vans are for light loads and passengers, If I recall there called passenger vehicles!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Listen! I gotta say it! you should only be @ 70% of max tow capacity.

If towing everyday, all day, I agree. Otherwise, I disagree 100%. Max capacity is that, the capacity that should not be exceeded...

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Honda Minivan and a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I confidently tow with either depending on what load and amount of people I bring along.

To my van I added an tranny cooler and power steering cooler. I have a regular class III hitch, not weight distribution. It tows great my 2600 lbs, 19 foot boat great! I towed exclusively with it for two boating seasons. I had zero problems on the launch ramps with a front wheel drive, non frame based minivan. Breaking is great, but my trailer has disc brakes on it. Its a hell of a vehicle. I don't know, though, how the Chrysler will do.

I used to get a little rear end sag, but I had a shock start leaking, so now I have monroe load adjusters, which have an extra spring welded to them. I bolted them on and the sag went away.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

People arguing over towing a trailer? That's pretty silly. How about just expressing an opinion, or detailing some fact that you found and quoting that source.

Like I said before, have your registration in hand, so that you have the VIN available, and call a dealer.

Just to answer another question, the Astro/Safari vans were discontinued after 2005. They are rear wheel drive, framed vehicles. I forget stock towing capacity, but I own an Astro with a tow package, which includes a lower rear axle gear ratio, and I believe that the number is 6,300 lbs. I think the one w/o the tow package is more like 5,000 lbs. The van does just fine with surprisely heavy weights, but I wouldn't do it without adjustable, electric brakes in the trailer and a brake controller, which I have. I also wouldn't tow at the upper end of the allowable limit often, because it just beats the vehicle to death over time.

Towing or otherwise, my Astro is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. Its small and easy to handle/park, has a large engine relative to its size, and has great utility, all around. It has also been very durable. I have about 180,000 miles on mine and it is still going strong. Psssssssssssst .... GM ..... pul-eeeese start making them again!

???

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

There sure are a lot of opinions on this subject.
Opinions that call the manufacturer's recommendations a bunch of whoie.

If your all worried about inconsiderate drivers pulling out in front of you all the time, you must be deathly afraid to ride motorcycles on the street.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, this is becoming a big thread. For those concerned about safety (not wear & tear on the vehicle) and are adament about towing close to the max limit, I hope you are as adament regarding drinking and driving/boating, speeding, tailgating,... Hopefully you request others that drive dangerously not to use any public roadways and utilize mass transit. I've responded to hundreds, if not thousands, of traffic collisions and more than 95% did not include a towed vehicle. Most were non-commercial vehicles driven by morons that don't care about others and don't pay attention to what they're doing. Whoever stated that we must drive with caution and defensively is right.

I agree that a vehicle's max limit means that it's safe to drive prudently with that load. I just don't know how much faster it will wear the engine, brakes, & trans. I originally really wanted to know about premature wearing vehicle parts.

By the way, what I really like about this forum the free advice from people. It's great that a novice can gather so much information from so many people. I do, however, feel it's important to be polite to everyone and if someone is doing something unsafe, use it as a teaching/learning experience so everyone is happier and safer.

Thanks for the info guys.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It really isn't possible for us to offer precise information as to how much you will reduce the life of the vehicle. by towing at max capacity frequently. I suppose someone, somewhere might have done some testing giving some general information is this regard, but it might or might not apply to you.

First, there is the question of just what constitutes "frequently." Every week, every day ... ? Beyond that there are issues of how the vehicle is driven, temperatures in which it is driven, how flat or "hilly" the terrain is, etc.

Suffice it to say, that you will reduce the remaining life of your vehicle by driving it at all. The rate at which you reduce that life, is a function of how much stress you put on it and any condition that pushes its design and practical limitations to the max, will wear it out at a max rate.

???