Cheap way to sit higher?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
My back-to back seat is too low,a common problem from what I've read in various forums. The base on my B2B seat is 6-8" high. I've tried using a cushion but it's not enough. A captain's chair with flip-up bolster would be perfect, but they're $300 plus a pedestal! A cheaper seat with an adjustable pedestal could work, but the shortest pedestal I can find is 12", which would be the max height I would need if I had my dream adjustable pedestal.

Any ideas on how to do this for a reasonable price?

Dave

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Cheap way to sit higher?

i sit on a type IV pfd. perfect for my boat. i suppose if i wanted to be higher on the cheap, i'd put a orange type II on top of that. bad advise would be to sit on the top of the backrest between the fore and aft facing seats (which i've never done before). would work to be higher, but in my state would get a a ticket. hence i rise by level by sitting on a type IV, which works for me.

UncleWillie

Captain

I made a 12" high open box out of plywood.
A couple of coats of polyurethane and some grey carpet runner from lowe's.

It now sits you at the standard 18" kitchen chair height.
And I gained 3 cubic feet of storage space!
This is how they should be from the factory!

Replaced the pedestal at the helm seat also.
I can now see over the windshield frame without the bolster.

BoatSeats2.jpg BoatSeats3.jpg BoatSeats1.jpg

Husker-Q

Seaman Apprentice

When I need a boost - I sit on one of my thicker fenders

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Remove the seat, build a bigger base out of plywood and vinyl and relocate the seat higher.

I personally don't have that problem, but I would with a lot of newer boats. In that case I'd be LOWERING the seat and looking for ways to get more leg room. I just can't stand to have my head above the windshield.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two cushions? :)

The problem with 2 cushions (I'd need 3) or a 6" fender is storage space. I really don't have anywhere within arms reach of the helm to store that kind of stuff. My boat is a Sea Ray 175...

My steering column doesn't flex like the one in Willie's photo, so a high box underneath would put my steering wheel down at my crotch with no room for my knees..

Currently the top of my seat is 12" off the deck, and the bottom of the steering wheel is 6" above that - and only about 2" forward of the seat.

Uncle Willie: I'm looking for a pedestal like your original one! (jpg 1) It looks like it could get me down low enough to sit at the original seat height, while giving me the available elevation to see over things while docking. Can't seem to find an aftermarket version. Want to sell your old one? :)

Dave

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

for my wellcraft i want to sit higher so i could see better when people are in the bow and when pulling tubes.. so i sit on two of the square throwable PFD's its double duty since they are within arms reach if case of an emergency.

I have a pedestal seat and it would have cost to much for me to justify.

NYBo

Admiral

I made a 12" high open box out of plywood.
A couple of coats of polyurethane and some grey carpet runner from lowe's.

It now sits you at the standard 18" kitchen chair height.
And I gained 3 cubic feet of storage space!
This is how they should be from the factory!

Replaced the pedestal at the helm seat also.
I can now see over the windshield frame without the bolster.

View attachment 188012
You look like Ralph Kramden with the wheel like that!

It also looks like your feet don't reach the sole. Do you find that uncomfortable?

UncleWillie

Captain

You look like Ralph Kramden with the wheel like that!
It also looks like your feet don't reach the sole. Do you find that uncomfortable?

LOL !!! That is the Admiral modeling the seat in the photo.
At 5'4" her feet do not touch down with the seat at maximum height.
Sitting more forward in the seat lands the feet solidly.

At 5'11" and my behind fully back in the seat, the toes are on the floor but my heels just miss.
Dropping the seat to 24" puts my feet on the floor, but surprisingly, sitting on the "Bar Stool" with the feet dangling is not as unsettling as I thought it was going to be.
I do not feel like I am about to be thrown out of the seat even when bouncing through 2 footers on the Great Lakes.
I prefer looking over the windshield, and found that if you sit back, as opposed to standing at the helm, the wind blast goes over the top of your head and does not hit you in the face.
This make the high seating position comfortable for long periods.

The seat in the Photo is Maxed out at 26" just for demonstration for the photo.
I do not normally place it that high.
It can be lowered to 15", which is lower than the standard Office/Kitchen chair height of 18".
The boat came with a fixed pedestal height of 12" which felt like sitting in a basement.
At 21" I was using the 9" Bolster continuously.

While I agree it does look odd sitting that high, it does not feel anywhere near as unusual as it looks.
Maybe I should add a Bar Foot Rest to complete the look!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

looks like folks are discovering how the sofa boat design doesn't work well for boating.

growing up, dad bought a starcraft bow rider with b2b seats. we sat on the back, or on one knee, or stood--but we were skinny teens, and the seats did eventually give in. Then he got a dual console with pedestals that I still have; I often drive standing up and leaning some, but with the pedestal seats there is lots more room in the 17' boat.

people want to stand to operate a boat except on long straight runs. a well-designed boat accomodates this.

UncleWillie

Captain

...people want to stand to operate a boat except on long straight runs...

There is a lot of truth in that! :D
In under 20' boats the sole is right about at water level.
So seated you are not very far off the water and can not see all that far ahead; Especially as speeds top 30 mph.
Add in Reflections off the windshield and trying to look over any passengers in the bow;
Getting the eyes above the windshield become a natural thing to do.

I find that once under way I tend to stand to the left and steer with my right hand on the wheel.
The elevated helm seat has me sitting at just about the same height as I stand.

It sometime takes a little coaxing to get new passengers to try to ride standing at the windshield.
Once they try it, most are surprised at how easy and comfortable it is to ride out the chop. :cool: