Water in Gear Oil

team shadow

Seaman
I have a 1995 225 and last summer it had a very small amount of water getting in the gear oil. I had the water pump and the seals replaced and thought everything was fixed. I just pulled the screw last weekend and it was completely white. I would have thought it would have separated by now since it's been over a month since last ran.
I had the Mercury gear oil in there last summer and after the repair work used the Evinrude HP gear oil. I think the Mercury gave better protection as far as if water got in because it wasn't emulsified like the Evinrude oil,but there wasn't as much water either when the Merc oil was in.
I drained all the oil and flushed it a few times with a mixture of oil and WD 40 and also let the mixture sit in there for a few hours to get all moisture out and will fill it up with gear oil for the winter.
The mechanic said he will fix it in the spring but what would cause it to leak so bad? Bad seals, Bad Install, something else besides seals that can cause this?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in Gear Oil

Could be as simple as bad seals on the drain screws. The nylon washers should be changed every time in my opinion.
I prefer using these allen head screws over a screwdriver every time.

Attachments

• Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 001.jpg
    Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 002.jpg
    Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 003.jpg
    Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 003.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 004.jpg
    Allen Head Gearcase Plugs 004.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ask you mechanic if he is doing a both a pressure and vacuum test on the lower unit. I am wondering if he replaced the seals near the water pump but not the seals at the prop shaft. A pressure and vacuum test is required to ensure you locate the source of the leak. But as kennyfam says, it could be as simple as bad drain fill gaskets and that should be your first check. A pressure/vacuum test after that will let you know if there are any other leaks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

team shadow....I am having the exact same problem after a "re-seal" done by a shop. Took it back this past Spring, '09, and they told me a pressure test showed nothing. Filled it with Bomby HPF, which by the way is a great gear lube, and got milk coming out last weekend when I winterized.

Gonna take it back again and ask for a vacuum test. I saved the milky gear oil that came out to show the shop, you may want to keep some around in a bottle too.

team shadow

Seaman

I replaced the plastic O Rings last summer, but I will do it again and pressure test myself before bringing it back. I assumed he did the vacuum test but we all know what *** u me means. He said he replaced all the seals. I'm sure he will make good on it but good thing I checked before putting it away for the winter. I always check both of my boats just for this reason and then put fresh fluid in the spring if no water is found at the end of the season.

team shadow

Seaman

I just dropped it back off at the shop but what else would cause it to be worse than ever?

He suggested there may be too much up and down movement on the propshaft and damaging the new seal. I find this unlikely since I ran it several times before his work and the leak was very slight.

Should there be some free play in the shaft? If not what causes up and and down free play?
Could the seals and water pump been installed incorrectly?
Could the seals he put in were old or the wrong kind?

I tried a pressure test and it was good. The mechanic will test agaian and a vacuum test.
I replaced the nylon seals on the drain and fill screws.
Mercury uses a fiber washer, which I think would fit and be better, has anyone tried this?
Edit/Delete Message

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Some axial play is allowable, but lateral runout should be very small. Worn bearings, propshaft, etc. can cause lateral play. Axial runout is controlled by shimming during re-assembly using a special tool.