Both outboards no spark

Fed

Commander
Don't know what a man plug is. Disconnecting both right at the power packs and still no spark is pretty convincing it's not a black yellow problem. How are you testing for spark?

Jeremiah200

Cadet
Sorry well get pics tomorrow but I unhooked plug to harness from boat is there some thing that I have to trick in to thinking its still hooked up to the main plug

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you looking for spark in broad daylight on a plug ???----Do you have a timing light to check spark ?---A proper spark tester where you hear the " snap , snap " of good spark.----Or are these motors not starting for other reasons like no fuel.----Wrong starting procedure ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Late jumping in here... I've read all the posts/replies, BUT may have overlooked something (it happens).

1 - The questions asked by GA Boater..... "Were the motors starting and running OK before this??" I didn't see a definite answer to his question... SO... Have those engines every ran since you've owned them?

2 - The ignition on those engines are "Self Contained" meaning that the stator under the flywheel generates approximately 300 AC volts to be applied to the powerpack's capacitor to engine the ignition/spark. The electric starter must crank the engine over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to generate that proper AC voltage. A slow cranking engine will emit weak, erratic, or no ignition/spark.

3 - If for any reason, battery voltage is applied to the black/yellow wires (kill circuit) of the powerpack.... that alone will destroy the powerpack(s)

4 - The 1989 225hp models incorporate a RED electrical connecting plug assembly... both the female and male portion of the plug must be RED. All spark plugs must be removed to tests the spark. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

5a - There is a possibility that a short exists in the large RED electrical plug shorting out the black/yellow kill wire. Find that wire and trace it to the powerpack connector and disconnect it (yes, I know you've already performed various checks... humor me).

5b - Also disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine. This eliminates any possible existing problems from that RED plug forward... controls, ignition switch, other switches and accessories, etc. You now have 12v existing only to the starter solenoid UNLESS someone has "Mickey Moused" something into the engines wiring harness.

5c - Rig a spark tester with its air gap set to 7/16". Spark testers can be found at any automotive parts store... or you could easily build the following one. Crank the engine via a small jumper from the large battery terminal of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut of the solenoid that engages it. As it stands, the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) is disconnected, the engine cranking over is powering the stator to engage the powerpack to fire the coils.

6 - The stator has two large black coils at the extreme rear of the stator. These are the two coils that generate the AC voltage to the powerpack. That 30amp stator generates much heat, so much that eventually it melts down one or both of those two black coils... and this results in weak or no ignition. Visually examine them both carefully. Should they me dripping a sticky looking substance down on the powerhead area, replace the stator regardless of whatever test reading you may obtain.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Jeremiah200

Cadet
No Title

Ok sorry it took so long to get back on here yes I undid the main plug big red one been out tarring motor on one apart to look at stator and

Attachments

• photo267704.jpg
    photo267704.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Ok sorry it took so long to get back on here yes I undid the main plug big red one been out tarring motor on one apart to look at stator and

The picture of your stator is too dark for me to actually get a clear view of it to say/agree that it has melted down or not. I'll see if I can capture it so as to edit the graphic.

EDIT: Yeah I was able to edit the graphic and see some minor melting... BUT... unfortunately you entered the top view of the stator... what is needed is the bottom view that would show the major melting. However,here's the revised view of the top.
Stator.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremiah200

Cadet
No Title

There you go

Attachments

• photo267705.jpg
    photo267705.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo267710.jpg
    photo267710.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20170614_164213.jpg
    20170614_164213.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Yes, in lightening it up, I can clearly see that all 3 of the black coils are melting down and that the stator needs replacing.

As time goes by and you finally get that engine running, pay attention to your tachometer. If it acts up, wrong reading, intermittent, doesn't work at all... it normally indicates a faulty voltage regulator/rectifier assy <--- this would create a stator problem and would also (in a short time) result in a engine fire. Bottom line... if a tachometer problem exists, do not continue to run the engines.
Stator2.jpg

Fed

Commander
Did you ever find a cut off switch?
Look at the BRP website & you'll see OMC made a wiring kit for dual engines, it looks like it's mainly to incorporate 2 into 1 for the cut off.
It has a single switch & diodes in the wiring, could easily be the type of thing that someone would be tempted to jury rig to save money.
I think you're going to have to get hands on with this & figure out exactly how these motors are wired up or work on the premise there is 2 faults.

For some reason I thought you were driving along & they both stopped at the same time---> no spark.
Silly me.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I wonder if the boat is equipped with multiple battery banks and a switch. Thinking (guessing) if a PO was running both engines and switched to off (or through the off position), the regulator/rectifiers might have been blown, and maybe subsequently the stators -- sequence Joe Reeves describes (#35 post). The battery switch is often a large red device (mfg. Guest), and is often hidden away in a compartment.

(But haven't given up on the cut-off switch idea that Fed describes.)