Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

None of the above. Try Mary Kate's or even cheaper, just plain old Toilet Bowl cleaner. It will work without the pressure washer or much elbow grease.

The Works has done the job well for me. Swab it on or use a garden sprayer. The Works is available at most of the big box stores.
The Works in conjunction with a rented big boy sprayer would probably save a bunch of elbow work. A bigger sprayer would help
rinse the stuff off also and it does need to be thoroughly rinsed from the hull and trailer.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

I was not able to get out for supplies, so using what I had on hand, I made a dent in it, but I still wonder about the blisters? It has a few

Attachments

• 0420111940a.jpg
    0420111940a.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420111942b.jpg
    0420111942b.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420111943c.jpg
    0420111943c.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420111942a.jpg
    0420111942a.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420111941b.jpg
    0420111941b.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I'm using home made buffer and Orange hand soap at present time!

Attachments

• 0420111943a.jpg
    0420111943a.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420111943b.jpg
    0420111943b.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

beagleboy

Seaman

Muratic acid is the best. But wear gloves goggles etc. Muratic acid is really generic for plumbing unclogger and readilly available at HD, Lowes etc.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Muratic acid is the best. But wear gloves goggles etc. Muratic acid is really generic for plumbing unclogger and readilly available at HD, Lowes etc.

I'll check on the muratic acid next time I get out to HD or L

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Well I tried the muratic acid but it didn't cut through like the orange soap, so it looks like this now.
star low.jpgstern.jpgclean port.jpgclean stern alpha.jpg

Attachments

• starboard bow.jpg
    starboard bow.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Do not let it dry out before trying to remove it. My expereince is that once it has dried it is really hard to get off (but I've never attacked anything over 1 season old). What lake in Georgia did it sit in, and what year is the boat? (Curious info for my "blister log", I've seen a couple of older model boats, Carver and Sea Ray, that were in the water for 10+ years without a single blister)

The boat is an 87 Regal 19ft and it was in Lake Lanier most of the time.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

It Looks a lot better now, after working on it for weeks, but I couldn't get the bottom clean towards the aft, I wonder if constant use, then trailering it, will wear the rest off?

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

I learned the hard way to not ever let this stuff dry out! Take your pressure washer or scrubbing tool of choice to the boat ramp or haul-out facility with you and attack it right away. Too late now in your case, but the remaining stuff is bound to loosen up some when you put the boat back in the water. Take another shot at it after it's been in the water a while and is still wet.

Kens242REGAL

Cadet

Hope you did not borrow it!! LOL.

I'd try this product, it's made in the RUSA, this link is Canadian. Search it out, I'd love to know how it works for you. The product has a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide which should clean it up!!

Good luck keep us posted!

http://www.wash-safe-canada.com/marine.html

sasto

Captain

From the photo's, muratic acid would make quick work of it.

I agree with Bubba!.....most of the time...and if she were mine?.I wouldn't put much worry into those blisters,.....espically if just under the gelcoat..Get'er running first...........Have some fun.....and report back. Never seen a blister keep me at the dock.......Heck, we have malfunctions....all of us....don't get to seroious......

I'm interested in your thoughts......Keep The Dirty Side Dow.............. Parlay!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pic of the one blister shows a pretty bad one. It needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later. If the boat is going to be a trailer queen, deal with it during the off season, it needs to be opened up, dried, filled and gel coated. Toilet bowl cleaner on the stubborn spots should clean them up. Good luck.

emoney

Commander

Now you can feel the pain we sailors go through, lol. I've always wanted to try swimming pool algeacide mixed in with soap to see if it would cut the stuff. I just pulled the transducer for my depth finder, only installed last year, off my sailboat and ended up using Acetone to get the crud off. Some dead, hardened creatures where sacrificed in this mission, I'm sorry to report.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Prophammer, what kind of "orange hand soap" did you use? I'm curious to know for future reference, and when I googled orange hand soap I got several brands and types.

Thanks,
Chris