All fiberglass floor and stringers

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: All fiberglass floor and stringers

This stuff also can be cut & shaped with a steak knife
Zactly! Hey I'm not made outa money but the Tuff Stuff I used in my V153 rebuild was worth it. Tough & light & strong & totally water proof. May have actually saved my life, but that's a different story.

Anyway. If'n ya got a lil budge in your budget? Imo composite(s) are money well spent.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

While coosa and nidacore a great products, they are expensive, and, you still need to buy all the glass for them. The Compsys Prima preforms require only resin, as they are pre-glassed. This stuff also can be cut & shaped with a steak knife.

Here is a little video I made to show you what the stuff looks like, how it is installed, and a little more. Bear with me, as it's my first ever internet video, and my 11 year old daughter was the camera person. Be sure to catch the cameo by my kitten. :)

This could be the future of DIY boat rebuilding. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to post up something about how it comes out when your done! maybe do some tests? Beat the sh*t out of it with a hammer? will it need extra glass?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The Prisma product can work well, but recheck the cost, I think it will be higher than you figured.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Yo Beef: The late great Uzi. Aka uzicat, uzirat, etc. Real piece of work. Lived to the ripe old age of 17.

But I digress.

Attachments

• uzirat.jpg
    uzirat.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

This could be the future of DIY boat rebuilding. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to post up something about how it comes out when your done! maybe do some tests? Beat the sh*t out of it with a hammer? will it need extra glass?

From talking to them and a guy on another forum that has already completed his project, nothing else is needed.

The Prisma product can work well, but recheck the cost, I think it will be higher than you figured.

I should be ordering the stuff tomorrow or Monday, and I'll let you know the cost, and for the amount it will cover.

Yo Beef: The late great Uzi. Aka uzicat, uzirat, etc. Real piece of work. Lived to the ripe old age of 17.

But I digress.

I hear ya. That kitten is one of two that replaced Flea (aka Fleaberhaben), who was put down this summer after 18.5 years of being my shadow.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

HMMMMM. Never made sole (floor) with this method....yet. Maybe a sheet of waxed Formica would be sufficient. Lay-up your glass on the Mica...release the Mica. You can make hollow ribs to be glassed underside....between stringers and bulkheads if necessary... for support and strength using the foam.

Yup, I Mike, Nidacore makes a very good honeycomb. We were trying out a cheaper core made by a company I thought was called Wes-core. I Googled awhile back and can't find them. I may have the name wrong, but I tried different versions

Buenos Dias, Amigo Mia!
Egualmente gracias. (p.s its mio not mia)!!:D
Ive tried to any info about the cheaper core but so far no luck,Ill let you know when I find something.
A good day to you again my friend!
I mike.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Why dont you want any wood in your boat? You are afraid of rot I asume..
Wood encased and sealed in fiberglass will outlast you.
If properly done you would not have to worry about it again.
If you do decide to go with something else google: nidacore/honeycomb...good stuff.a sheet of occume marine ply of the same thickness,costs more than twice as much...Good luck
regards I mike.

sasto

Captain

Egualmente gracias. (p.s its mio not mia)!!:D
Ive tried to any info about the cheaper core but so far no luck,Ill let you know when I find something.
A good day to you again my friend!
I mike.

Mio! Thanks.....I can't speak or spell English either.:confused:

I found Divinycell at a local shop recently at $70 for a sheet of 3/4. Not bad! From now on this is what I'm using.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Mio! Thanks.....I can't speak or spell English either.:confused:

I found Divinycell at a local shop recently at $70 for a sheet of 3/4. Not bad! From now on this is what I'm using.
Half of the time I dont even know what language I am speaking, I speak 5 languages and have to switch a lot..!
Anyways,In the bu$get marine catalogue I have in front of me as we speak they say that a sheet of nidacore (4 by 8 by 20mm) costs:$113.

So what are you building?
Regards I mike

sasto

Captain

Half of the time I dont even know what language I am speaking, I speak 5 languages and have to switch a lot..!
Anyways,In the bu$get marine catalogue I have in front of me as we speak they say that a sheet of nidacore (4 by 8 by 20mm) costs:$113.

So what are you building?
Regards I mike

HMMM... I Mike, I double checked the invoice.....Nidacore it is. I thought $70 was a good price. I do live in a composite boatbuilding community where I can usually get anything I want at a fair price.

I have an old Sportfish I would like to redo the cockpit hatch lids that cover the engine and fishbox. They are quite large and heavy. Also a 54' Hatteras here needs a new cockpit sole. Bought a roll of 2408 biax for $50 from a friend.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

HMMM... I Mike, I double checked the invoice.....Nidacore it is. I thought $70 was a good price. I do live in a composite boatbuilding community where I can usually get anything I want at a fair price.

I have an old Sportfish I would like to redo the cockpit hatch lids that cover the engine and fishbox. They are quite large and heavy. Also a 54' Hatteras here needs a new cockpit sole. Bought a roll of 2408 biax for $50 from a friend.
Wow. I wish I was over there man,I would have loved to give you a hand.The boatyard I worked for closed down due to shady managing(long story) and we got the boot...
good luck to you my friend!

sasto

Captain

Wow. I wish I was over there man,I would have loved to give you a hand.The boatyard I worked for closed down due to shady managing(long story) and we got the boot...
good luck to you my friend!

.....and I would love to give you the job! Sending well wishes your way, I mike.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

.....and I would love to give you the job! Sending well wishes your way, I mike.
sasto,It seems as if your well wishing paid off! got a call this morning for an interview for a job! Finaly cause its very hard to find a job at night.I wanted to work at night so that either me or my wife is home at all times,(you know the problem around the island)So thanks again Ill let you know how things turned out.
Regards Island mike