Need suggestion on a boat....

carpman

Seaman
I have come across a marine dealer that has bought some scratch and dent boats from smokercraft. Keep in mind these are brand new boats that have never seen water, a title, or a motor. They come as the boat only and you have the option of getting a trailer with it, which I would be doing.

The first boat I was interested in was a 14' Pro Mag, and some guy beat me to the punch. All it had was 4 holes in the transom where the bolts were removed, very easy fix.....I was going to write a check to them and pick the boat up....but guess not.

Anyway, here is the latest boat they have. It's a Smokercraft 16' Big Fisherman, 2008 model, never been titled, seen water, or had a motor on it. This is a scratch and dent model that the dealer bought from the factory. There were a couple holes in the hull that were welded back at smokercraft's factory. And the dealer is still honoring the 1 year structural warranty on it, which makes me feel better. My question is, this should be a good fix right? It's been welded and painted by smokercraft and still has the warranty. For me to buy this it would be around $3500 w/ brand new trailer out the door.....

Opinions please!!

Attachments

• digi37174043_l.jpg
    digi37174043_l.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
  • digi37149025_l.jpg
    digi37149025_l.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • digi37174047_l.jpg
    digi37174047_l.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need suggestion on a boat....

Welded by the company.... it will not harm anthing except good looks.

I would not worry about the aluminum boat...... Is it a great deal as compared to showroom new?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If in doubt ...... call the manufacturer directly (866) 719-7873 ;)

carpman

Seaman

Ordering a brand new one with a trailer would cost roughly 5500 to 6000, so yea, it saves some big money......I will call the manufacturer just to check!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Smoker is an excellent boat and if it was fixxed at the factory it was done right, my advice would be don't let this one get away too.

Brand new half price boats are pretty rare and it comes with a warranty, I really don't see how you can lose on this deal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

who is backing the warranty? dealer or smoker? either way it would be hard to pass it.

carpman

Seaman

Smokercraft is backing the warranty, I am going to pay for this today! Thanks guys!

jasper60103

Commander

yea, you'll probably add a few scratches or dings yourself before the season's up anyway. I'm very happy with my old tinnie. Came with some bumps and scratches, but it doesn't leak a drop.

carpman

Seaman

Yea, I have a 1978 sea nymph now, can't be any worse than that.......I did however put a complete restoration on it.

This new boat is gonna be a diamond compared to what I have now, even with the scratches!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are going to have scratches & dents after you take it out anyway. Smokercraft is a great boat. Write that check quickly.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, that is a great size boat.

jerry1865

Cadet

the main reason i like my 22' sylvan is because i CAN weld it, lol

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice

This sounds like a great deal but I have a question about welded vs rivetted aluminum boats. I've had one of each. The rivetted boat had minor leaks at the rivetted seams and I've heard of rivets poping in rough water. I didn't own the rivetted boat long and this was YEARs ago so I don't even remember the brand. Has anyone had a problem with a rivetted boat?